Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2014 10:30:02 PM EDT
Our early seasons for bow and rifle opened, but there is no way I'm going out there when its 60+ degrees pre dawn and when the vegetation is that thick. Not to mention, wouldn't there still be ticks and other "bugs" on deer in these temps?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#1]
60+  . try it when it's 90+
deer hunting in shorts, yeah baby
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

With your feet in the beer cooler to cool down...

Texas, baby.

If we didn't hunt in the heat, there would be no hunting season.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#3]
And where in VA is the season open?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:29:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Texas, baby.

TRG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Texas, baby.

TRG

Exactly.  88 on Saturday when I went out.  Yesterday was a nice 79.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
And where in VA is the season open?
View Quote

Loudoun County
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gross.

I like sitting in my stand and getting a random snow storm.....very very peaceful.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Texas, baby.

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Texas, baby.

TRG

No shit, normal to sweat on opening weekend.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:55:43 PM EDT
[#8]
You would really hate squirrel hunting in august in eastern KY op.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

If it's hot, then yes, yes I would.

I'm originally from New England. I associate hunting with cold and snow.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:28:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.  I grew up in New Hampshire.  This will be my second year hunting in VA.  If I can get myself together, I'm hoping to get out during the archery season, which should still be fairly warm.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Same here.  I grew up in New Hampshire.  This will be my second year hunting in VA.  If I can get myself together, I'm hoping to get out during the archery season, which should still be fairly warm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What part?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What part?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What part?

Well, I live in Loudoun County (Ashburn area), but since I have the typical townhouse with approximately 0.01 acre of property I currently hunt either public land  or some of the state land covered by the quota hunt lottery.  If I decide to pursue bowhunting then I may look into the urban archery program for public land in Fairfax County, which appears to be well organized.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:02:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well, I live in Loudoun County (Ashburn area), but since I have the typical townhouse with approximately 0.01 acre of property I currently hunt either public land  or some of the state land covered by the quota hunt lottery.  If I decide to pursue bowhunting then I may look into the urban archery program for public land in Fairfax County, which appears to be well organized.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What part?

I know what you mean. I used to rent in Ashburn. Then bought in Leesburg (townhouse). Had enough so I bought in Lovettsville on 15 acres.....hunting is done in my backyard.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#14]
This morning was only the 2nd of the last 10 that it wasn't in the low 30s at sunrise here in northern WI. High temp yesterday was 54. Great hunting weather. Gonna be almost 70 tomorrow though... need to turn the AC on for one last day.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I try to wait until it cools off a bit before I go out.  It can be tough to be in the tree stand when the bugs are bad, and a deer carcass holds up better in cold weather.  I think they are more active closer to the rut anyway.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I fish until the first frost, then it's game on.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm out right now. It's around 75 with a light breeze.

I hate sweating my balls off in a stand.

If it's over 90, I usually don't go.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:32:43 AM EDT
[#18]
It was hot, but I went today anyway. This was the only chance I was going to have to go this weekend. I saw a doe and 2 fawns. They didn't have spots, but I think they lost them on the way to my stand. The doe was good-sized, but the fawns were maybe 45lbs each. This is only my 2nd season bow hunting, so I was shaking like a leaf. I don't get the shakes at all with a rifle anymore, but hunting with a bow is a lot different.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:20:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Our early seasons for bow and rifle opened, but there is no way I'm going out there when its 60+ degrees pre dawn and when the vegetation is that thick. Not to mention, wouldn't there still be ticks and other "bugs" on deer in these temps?
View Quote

All those "bugs" are still on the deer year round. Still pretty warm and cozy under that fur  I've had some pretty nasty critters fall off the deer capes in the deep freeze, lol.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I know what you mean. I used to rent in Ashburn. Then bought in Leesburg (townhouse). Had enough so I bought in Lovettsville on 15 acres.....hunting is done in my backyard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What part?

You're living my dream!  I'm here for three more years until the kid leaves HS, and then we want to move farther west in Loudoun County with the goal being a place with 10+ acres.  I was out this past weekend scouting GR Thompson WMA, and it was still pretty hot out there.  I'm hoping daytime temps drop before October 4.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:08:30 AM EDT
[#21]
IN's Youth Deer Hunting Weekend is this coming weekend. Supposed to be 80 both days.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:29:27 PM EDT
[#22]
SNIP

You're living my dream!  I'm here for three more years until the kid leaves HS, and then we want to move farther west in Loudoun County with the goal being a place with 10+ acres.  I was out this past weekend scouting GR Thompson WMA, and it was still pretty hot out there.  I'm hoping daytime temps drop before October 4.

IM sent
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top