Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/13/2014 5:17:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll go ahead and start the show. Let me throw out a little background here: I don't hunt for trophies any more, got plenty of those when I was younger. I hunt for meat for my kids. Most of my hunting is canyon stalking.

This middle aged lady was 30 feet above me and 60 yards out quartering away. Double lung shot and she ran about 100 yards before folding up.....at the bottom of the damn canyon. I got her on 9-15-14 about an hour before sunset.

Well, today was the speed goat opener and I was about 200 miles away from home this morning. I made it out to hunt at 1700 hours and jumped this fellow at 1830. Through the shoulder, severing the aorta. He dropped and scrabbled for about 5 seconds before making it to his feet and running 30 yards. He bled out internally and piled up dead. I had him gutted by 1845 and skinned by 1930. He is now in pieces and sitting in the freezer waiting to be made into a nice selection of summer sausage, jerky and breakfast sausage.
The key to good tasting Antelope is to cool them down fast and don't chase the shit out of them.
Weapon of choice today was a Swiss K-31 and the range was 80 yards. The bullet goes right where you put it with that rifle and there are NO excuses.
Y'all better start posting some pics cause I feel slightly aberrant being the only one committing wholesale slaughter on the ruminant populace!

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll go ahead and start the show. Let me throw out a little background here: I don't hunt for trophies any more, got plenty of those when I was younger. I hunt for meat for my kids. Most of my hunting is canyon stalking.

This middle aged lady was 30 feet above me and 60 yards out quartering away. Double lung shot and she ran about 100 yards before folding up.....at the bottom of the damn canyon. I got her on 9-15-14 about an hour before sunset.

http://i59.tinypic.com/29pdk0h.jpg
View Quote

Well done!  That's a long shot for me, good shootin.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Place holder!
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:11:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Place holder hunting all weekend something going down
My sons first deer 11/30/14 he killed it 40 years from date his grandpa killed his first deer.

" />

My GA 10 point 11/14/14

" />

" />
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Place holder. Deer season starts Saturday(bow).
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 7:52:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I killed this antelope doe September 8th with my 6.5 Grendel.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Not a monster, but I will take a Drop tine any day. Shot him yesterday morning, Dec. 3rd, which was KS open day of rifle season. With the kicker and drop tine, he is a 4x8.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:22:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Place holder
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Place holder MO whitetail
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:37:19 PM EDT
[#10]
looking good so far guys! I'm looking forward to opening day here in AL

Edit:
Opening day here in AL, my dad stuck a doe this morning and I'm hoping to snag a nice meat doe this afternoon when I get off work.
Here's a crappy cell pic my dad sent.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:27:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Place Holder

Best of luck to all
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:23:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Found this guy this morning. 300 blk subsonic at 100. I won't have much time to hunt this year so I figured I better not waste a chance.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Place Holder
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#15]
My sister dropped this little guy this morning!

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Took this 8 pointer on the third day of Indiana's firearm season.  What is truly amazing is the presence of snow.  Never in my 27 years hunting in southern Indiana has there been an accumulation of snow this early in deer season.  Of course it helped spotting deer!

Particulars:  Ruger 77/44 using WWB 240 grain JSP rounds.  Bullet entered right shoulder, blew out bottom of heart, and exited left side of chest.  Buck ran maybe 10 yards after getting shot.  Range estimated at 45 yards down slope.  

About a half hour before taking this buck, there was another 8 pointer even closer to my blind.  I drew down, got his chest in my crosshairs, squeezed the trigger, and CLICK.  That buck ran for the next county.  Not sure what happened other than maybe the bolt wasn't fully closed?  No indentation on primer.  Never had that happen before.  Rifle has less than 100 rounds fired since new.  Guess it wasn't that buck's day to die!

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 1:36:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Got my first deer last night!

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Good lookin first buck man! That deer still appears to have all the insides on the inside... You transport them ungutted?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Nope, he's gutted. I stopped at the bottom of the rib cage.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#21]
" />

Ft. Polk WMA
22 yards
Doe
Meat in the freezer...
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:56:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Other sister dropped this lil guy Monday.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:37:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm so proud of my wife. This is her first kill ever and he is huge. Estimating 220 on the hoof and she killed him with a Remington model 7 youth in .243 Iron sights at 120 yards.
He dropped on the spot and she put in a good hand at the gutting.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Spent three days laying in for a buck but eventually settled on this little lady on the 19th at about 5;00 pm. I don't hunt for trophies, just for a freezer full of meat and this young doe should be great eating.
Rifle used is a home brew Amalite/CMMG .300 Blackout. Load was 125 grain Nosler green tips at 2150 FPS. Range was about 100 yards across a small gulley off the knee. Double lung shot, deer ran about 60 yards and piled up.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Daughter's first deer - 9pt on 10/3/14. Shot with a crossbow at 27 yards. She helped gut, skin, quarter, process and grind it. She's 11.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Daughter's first deer - 9pt on 10/3/14. Shot with a crossbow at 27 yards. She helped gut, skin, quarter, process and grind it. She's 11.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2lmtgf8.jpg
View Quote

She made a great shot !  Congratulations to you & her !
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Was a great Sunday morning in western Wisconsin...
" />
" />
" />
First archery deer for this guy.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#28]
First bow kill 10/10/2014, 32 yards, she ran about 100 yard.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:33:48 AM EDT
[#29]
MI eh.Congrats to your daughter.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:27:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Mule Deer (2 point with 1 inch eye guards) @256 yards     GMU12 Colorado; 70 degree days Elk hunting gets you this little guy.

</a>" />
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:26:31 AM EDT
[#31]
My 10 year old son is tagged out for the year. He got his doe Thursday with a rifle (he wanted to get a deer with something other than archery tackle) and an 8 point buck Saturday with his crossbow.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Got two this weekend, one buttonhead on Thursday evening, and a small-racked 7-pointer on Saturday morning.

It is nice to be back from the land of brain surgery to the land of the fully-functional again.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:59:33 AM EDT
[#33]
After hunting hard as hell all month and having terrible like, I finally got my first bow kill lastnight

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Got to admit I'm a proud poppa. My 14 year old daughter shot her first deer Sat. during junior season (last day with 5 minutes to go). Nice sized Doe BTW. She got it with an old Rem 788 .243 (her granddad's (my dad's) old gun), that was my brother's gun for many years and then given to me...I got not only my first deer with it and many more after that with that old 788. I gave it to my daughter a couple of years ago (she's been my shooting buddy since she started shooting at 6).
Cool thing was she hunted it got it all by herself. I only wish my dad could see this.

She even helped me dress it, process it, and we will be making a batch of jerky this weekend.
Couldn't be prouder though, she is a really good kid. Wants to be an engineer too and is smart enough to do it. BTW we both built AR's last winter at the kitchen table...she built her own.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#35]
My first deer came with a 788 also! Gotta love grandpas (same place mine came from) hand me downs!
congrats to your daughter!

Quoted:
Got to admit I'm a proud poppa. My 14 year old daughter shot her first deer Sat. during junior season (last day with 5 minutes to go). Nice sized Doe BTW. She got it with an old Rem 788 .243 (her granddad's (my dad's) old gun), that was my brother's gun for many years and then given to me...I got not only my first deer with it and many more after that with that old 788. I gave it to my daughter a couple of years ago (she's been my shooting buddy since she started shooting at 6).

Cool thing was she hunted it got it all by herself. I only wish my dad could see this.
She even helped me dress it, process it, and we will be making a batch of jerky this weekend.

Couldn't be prouder though, she is a really good kid. Wants to be an engineer too and is smart enough to do it. BTW we both built AR's last winter at the kitchen table...she built her own.

http://imgdump1.novarata.net/image.php?di=1ZI8

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

My first deer came with a 788 also! Gotta love grandpas (same place mine came from) hand me downs!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks. Yeah the 788 series were great guns. In .243 they were tack drivers. That gun has harvested more than 100 white tails best we can figure over the years.
Like I mentioned what made me proud was the fact she did it without me. I hurt my foot at work and couldn't go out...made me feel bad. But when she called me on her cell I was stoked enough to hobble out and help her get it dressed, loaded and home (she got it behind our house near a field).
Its when I realized my time spent with her the first two "dry" years paid off. Hopefully when the regular whitetail season comes in after Thanksgiving we can both go out together again...I have some catching up to do...lol.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

http://imgdump1.novarata.net/image.php?di=1ZI8

View Quote

Well done on both accounts!
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Thanks. Yeah the 788 series were great guns. In .243 they were tack drivers. That gun has harvested more than 100 white tails best we can figure over the years.

Like I mentioned what made me proud was the fact she did it without me. I hurt my foot at work and couldn't go out...made me feel bad. But when she called me on her cell I was stoked enough to hobble out and help her get it dressed, loaded and home (she got it behind our house near a field).

Its when I realized my time spent with her the first two "dry" years paid off. Hopefully when the regular whitetail season comes in after Thanksgiving we can both go out together again...I have some catching up to do...lol.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My first deer was with a borrowed .222... but my first deer rifle of my own is a 788 in .243, with the short barrel.

The safety kept getting easier and easier to accidentally bump to "fire" while walking, so much so that I stopped  hunting with it. But this year I dropped in a Timney trigger, and it's like new. Might take it out this year if I don't tag out in archery.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:20:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Nothing down yet.

And no, the camera times are not correct.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:55:52 AM EDT
[#40]
First off, congrats to all.

drdub022012 - excellent bow kill!
LukeDuke - awesome! Wife is a good shot!
Stormhawk - nice shot, nice outfit ;-)
DanO-Michigan - you won't have to keep your shotgun loaded once she starts
dating ;-)
Cudahogs - nice buck with your bow!
evo7011 - congrats on the first bow kill!
StripperClip - nice mullie! on my bucket list
DDiggler - his smile says it all!
CletusRoundbelly - great buck!
va_gunz - impressive first bow kill!
Smash47 - congrats

I enjoy this thread every year.

In 6 years of deer hunting with a rifle, & 3 years with a bow, I finally took a deer with my bow!

I've had 5 outings this year:

1st: I saw a doe & a yearling, a 10x buck, a spike an 8pt and another deer that I think was a 4pt. I shot at and missed the yearling (twice - ugh!) and also at the spike. (with the yearling, I drew and accidentally tripped my trigger before full draw - arrow in the ground, with the spike, hit branches and put the arrow into the 3" tree RIGHT IN FRONT of the buck - lucky fellow).
2nd: I saw 3 does and a 12x - no shot avail.
3rd: I saw a doe and two yearlings. I FINALLY got a draw without alerting them and had the option of Mom or one of the yearlings. I worried that the yearlings might not make it without Mom and the Wife and I are moving soon - less venison might be better, so I took this (below) veal.
4th: I shot at and missed a 4x (misjudged distance and shot right over him)
5th: I had filled my doe tag, watched a doe and two yearlings for 1/2 hour.

Pic of my first bow kill:

My Wife made a "Bambi" comment that "he's so cute," and I said, "Wait until you taste him." She's had some venison from a buck I shot two years ago and she enjoyed it but after this:

She commented that it was the best steak she had ever tasted in her life. I'll agree, it was a 10 for 10. Really, I've had the best London Broil or Top Sirloin at the best steak houses and this venison veal was as good as it gets.

When I was skinning this deer, fellow hunter Ruben was skinning a full sized doe looked at our two deer and noticed that his meat was red and mine was pink and he said, "Wow, look at how pink it is!" Yes, milk fed, venison veal. You can't beat the taste.

I'm going back out in November, hopefully to pick up another doe and a buck!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:58:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

http://i59.tinypic.com/29pdk0h.jpg

Well, today was the speed goat opener and I was about 200 miles away from home this morning. I made it out to hunt at 1700 hours and jumped this fellow at 1830. Through the shoulder, severing the aorta. He dropped and scrabbled for about 5 seconds before making it to his feet and running 30 yards. He bled out internally and piled up dead. I had him gutted by 1845 and skinned by 1930. He is now in pieces and sitting in the freezer waiting to be made into a nice selection of summer sausage, jerky and breakfast sausage.
The key to good tasting Antelope is to cool them down fast and don't chase the shit out of them.
Weapon of choice today was a Swiss K-31 and the range was 80 yards. The bullet goes right where you put it with that rifle and there are NO excuses.
Y'all better start posting some pics cause I feel slightly aberrant being the only one committing wholesale slaughter on the ruminant populace!

http://i62.tinypic.com/3310qky.jpg
View Quote

I have to say, spot and stalk with a bow and iron sights with a WWII weapon; I'm impressed.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:01:37 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Really, no I mean REALLY, not bad at all for a first deer.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:36:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
First off, congrats to all.

drdub022012 - excellent bow kill!
LukeDuke - awesome! Wife is a good shot!
Stormhawk - nice shot, nice outfit ;-)
DanO-Michigan - you won't have to keep your shotgun loaded once she starts
dating ;-)
Cudahogs - nice buck with your bow!
evo7011 - congrats on the first bow kill!
StripperClip - nice mullie! on my bucket list
DDiggler - his smile says it all!
CletusRoundbelly - great buck!
va_gunz - impressive first bow kill!
Smash47 - congrats

I enjoy this thread every year.

In 6 years of deer hunting with a rifle, & 3 years with a bow, I finally took a deer with my bow!

I've had 5 outings this year:

1st: I saw a doe & a yearling, a 10x buck, a spike an 8pt and another deer that I think was a 4pt. I shot at and missed the yearling (twice - ugh!) and also at the spike. (with the yearling, I drew and accidentally tripped my trigger before full draw - arrow in the ground, with the spike, hit branches and put the arrow into the 3" tree RIGHT IN FRONT of the buck - lucky fellow).
2nd: I saw 3 does and a 12x - no shot avail.
3rd: I saw a doe and two yearlings. I FINALLY got a draw without alerting them and had the option of Mom or one of the yearlings. I worried that the yearlings might not make it without Mom and the Wife and I are moving soon - less venison might be better, so I took this (below) veal.
4th: I shot at and missed a 4x (misjudged distance and shot right over him)
5th: I had filled my doe tag, watched a doe and two yearlings for 1/2 hour.

Pic of my first bow kill:

https://placetoparkmyphotos.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/2014-first-bow-kill-ob.jpg

My Wife made a "Bambi" comment that "he's so cute," and I said, "Wait until you taste him." She's had some venison from a buck I shot two years ago and she enjoyed it but after this:

https://placetoparkmyphotos.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/bambi-on-the-table.jpg

She commented that it was the best steak she had ever tasted in her life. I'll agree, it was a 10 for 10. Really, I've had the best London Broil or Top Sirloin at the best steak houses and this venison veal was as good as it gets.

When I was skinning this deer, fellow hunter Ruben was skinning a full sized doe looked at our two deer and noticed that his meat was red and mine was pink and he said, "Wow, look at how pink it is!" Yes, milk fed, venison veal. You can't beat the taste.

I'm going back out in November, hopefully to pick up another doe and a buck!
View Quote

Outstanding sir! Congrats on the bow kill, I'm looking at getting my first buck tomorrow with my bow.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:08:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I have to say, spot and stalk with a bow and iron sights with a WWII weapon; I'm impressed.
View Quote

Thank you sir. I was fortunate enough to grow up in the woods and I've been hunting on my own since I was six. It really all boils down to experience and knowledge of your quarry. I'm nothing special, I just work hard to keep my skill level up and not suck so I don't lose animals.

With a properly tuned bow, 60 yards is not a horribly tough shot. I lost more fletchings/ broke more arrows this year than ever before because I practiced since early may. At least 20 arrows a day at the house and the municipal walking range whenever I could. I'm probably out 120 bucks just in cheap practice arrows this year. Replaced my string in May and again in September.

As for the rifle shot....it's a K-31 at 80 yards, if I'd have missed they would kick me out of the cool kids club!
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#45]
6x10 w/ 26" spread

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 9:23:38 PM EDT
[#46]
VERY NICE PROUD POPPA ....Congrats to all you guys and girls the SMILES are priceless ..be safe
Quoted:

http://i61.tinypic.com/2lmtgf8.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 2:23:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
6x10 w/ 26" spread
<a href="http://s986.photobucket.com/user/Paladincha20/media/deerr4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae346/Paladincha20/deerr4.jpg</a>
View Quote

Wow, fat antlers.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#49]

150 yd shot at 6:42 this morning. Chased four does across a 300 yd field. Went about 100 yds after the 200 gr Shockwave went through the brisket and blew up a lung.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Those are some real dark antlers
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top