Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2014 10:05:00 AM EDT
I'm thinking about expanding my hunting time this year with a new compound bow so I can hunt archery season.  I shot a lot of traditional archery many, many years ago, but it's been around 25 years since I was even in an archery shop.  I stopped by a local archery shop this weekend to get an idea of how a compound bow would feel and what it might cost to get into an entry level hunting setup.  I was impressed with the technology - peep sights and a release are a far cry from a three finger glove - but was surprised the bow prices were right at MSRP.  Coming from a gun buyers background, I was expecting the actual over the counter cost to be somewhat less than manufacturer's MSRP,  but everything in the shop was set exactly at MSRP.  Was this shop setting prices "high", or is this standard practice for compound bows?  

I really liked the Mission Riot I ended up trying, but the total cost for the package was quoted at $625 ($400 for the bow itself), which was notably more than I was expecting.  This was a well reccomended shop, so I didn't raise as stink and I was up front with the salesman that I most likely was not going to purchase anything today.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:28:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Every bow shop I've been in is MSRP, with rare sales on maybe last years models.

Like you, I just got back into Archery after a 20+ year break.  

My last bow before was a Golden Eagle in'90s - shooting instinctive w/finger release.

I went to a local shop and shot most of the top brands and ended up with a Hoyt Charger, 3 pin w/release.

Night and day from the compounds of the 90s.

If you have a good, knowledgeable local shop its worth the extra bucks if they will help you get matched with a bow and tuned up properly.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Every bow shop I've been in is MSRP, with rare sales on maybe last years models.

If you have a good, knowledgeable local shop its worth the extra bucks if they will help you get matched with a bow and tuned up properly.
View Quote

Thanks for the confirmation.  I guess after buying so many guns for so many years it was strange to see a shop trying to sell me something at the MSRP.  The guys in the shop seemed very knowledgable, I just didn't want to buy and then kick myself when I walked into another shop and saw the same bow for 15% to 20% less .
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:58:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to a bow shop, find the bow you like, have them measure your draw length and and see what weight you are comfortable with. Then go to huntersfriend.com and save some money on a package deal.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:12:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Go to a bow shop, find the bow you like, have them measure your draw length and and see what weight you are comfortable with. Then go to huntersfriend.com and save some money on a package deal.
View Quote

I went through huntersfriend, you can save a good amount with them.  Their customer service is good as well, my new bowtech experience exploded (delaminated) due to a broken pillow block, and they replaced it immediately.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#5]
One thing to note, is a bows value drop like a rock after you buy them.  They are nothing like firearms as to holding their value.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
One thing to note, is a bows value drop like a rock after you buy them.  They are nothing like firearms as to holding their value.
View Quote

Good to know.  If I buy a bow I'm going to buy something that I can use for years.  Although from what I've seen a mid range 2014 bow from one of the major manufacturers offers a lot of performance, and probably plenty enough for many, many years of hunting.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I went through huntersfriend, you can save a good amount with them.  Their customer service is good as well, my new bowtech experience exploded (delaminated) due to a broken pillow block, and they replaced it immediately.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the recommendations.  I've been to the huntersfriend website, and definitely some good deals to be had.  Since this is my very first bow I'll probably go through a pro shop in my area.  I've checked in at two near me where the staff was very knowledgable and also seemed to be listening so as to match me up with the bow I needed, not necessarily the most expensive bow they could sell me.  I don't mind paying a little extra at a shop if I'm actually getting some real customer service to go along with it.  Once I have some shooting time under my belt and feel comfortable with the gear I would then probably go online for future purchases.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

The downside to doing that is the bow wont be setup properly for you.

Go to a proshop.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:17:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Go to a proshop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go to a proshop.

Simply NOT true.

I've bought two packages through them, so I speak with actual experience.

Both bows were ready to shoot and all I needed to do was drift the peep to my natural anchor and eye positions.  They serve the peep in such a way that you simply slide it where you need it.
I haven't had to touch mine since and my daughter's is staying where she needs it.

OP - I think it's a good thing for you to support your local guy, especially if you believe their hand's on assistance will help you and you don't mind kicking in some extra cash for that peace of mind.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:00:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Always better to go through a pro shop to get a bow. That way when you need help, and you will, they will be there. Go in, get measured, shoot bows, and then walk in with a bow you bought someplace else? lmao.....good luck.

I'm not sure how much you guys shoot that think bows will last years and years. A lot of new bows will need the string replaced almost immediately, as they come with garbage strings.....the mission above is one of them.   If you shoot a lot......and you will need to if you plan on being proficient with it.....it becomes rather costly. I don't shoot a lot, prolly only 5k shots a year, and it still gets hella expensive.

I HIGHLY suggest getting a top of the line bow over a budget bow.

Best two bows out are the Obsession Evolution which comes with an awesome string, and the bowtech rpm 360. If you need to stay under budget, try out the Hoyt Charger package or one of the bowtech RAK packaged bows.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:21:45 PM EDT
[#11]
The shops around my neck of the woods gladly work on my bows.
Quoted:
Always better to go through a pro shop to get a bow. That way when you need help, and you will, they will be there. Go in, get measured, shoot bows, and then walk in with a bow you bought someplace else? lmao.....good luck.

I'm not sure how much you guys shoot that think bows will last years and years. A lot of new bows will need the string replaced almost immediately, as they come with garbage strings.....the mission above is one of them.   If you shoot a lot......and you will need to if you plan on being proficient with it.....it becomes rather costly. I don't shoot a lot, prolly only 5k shots a year, and it still gets hella expensive.

I HIGHLY suggest getting a top of the line bow over a budget bow.

Best two bows out are the Obsession Evolution which comes with an awesome string, and the bowtech rpm 360. If you need to stay under budget, try out the Hoyt Charger package or one of the bowtech RAK packaged bows.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I went from an old Bear "whitetail II" that I had closeted 15 years ago to a top of the line Mathews with all the trimmings (QAD Ultra rest, tru fire release, apex quivers and stabilizer, 5 pin illuminated pin sight and carbon express arrows and spit fire mechanicals. Dropped a to. On the set up (1200 or so) but the difference in technology is amazing. I shoot tighter groups at 30 than I do from 20 and I cant shoot at the same spot on the target because I blow the fletching off my arrows all the time. Ive actually robin hooded a few arrows and smashed the noks in half

This really is a buy once cry (hard) once kind of thing. I got mne at a highly recommended bow shop and the bow actually chose me. I shot hoyt, bowtech and mathews bows. The bow is set up for me perfectly and there is no need to shoot monster draw weights. Mine is set at 59 lbs with a perfectly smooth draw and positive stop where it should be. Damn thing shoots like a lazer beam
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:41:56 AM EDT
[#13]
So I went with the Mission Riot, which went over my original budget by as much as I was comfortable.  Pro shop guys were very helpful, giving me the chance to try some different peeps, sights and releases before settling on a combination that worked for me.  I took it out today to the archery range at my club to give it a shot.  Once I settled in to a repeatable anchor point the bow shot dead on.  Here's an example of  the groups I was getting at 20 yards:

After shooting 15 or so strings of 6 muscle fatigue set in and my grouping went to hell.  All in all a positive experience for a first outing.  I'm planning to try and practice two to three times a week, and hopefully I'll be comfortable enough to get my bow license this year.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Good shooting, and it sounds like things worked out.  Good luck this season.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice bow and nice group!  

That kind of shooting gets expensive quickly!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:15:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nice bow and nice group!  

View Quote

No kidding !

Put some stick on dots at various places on that target and send one arrow at each dot.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:51:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Congratulations OP.  It's nice to hear stories like yours.  Good luck on the deer.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:32:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Good choice, that is a fine bow!!

Now that you have seen all the choices one has to make, and experiment with, I'm sure you can see why you should always use a pro shop......especially for your first bow!!

After you know a thing or two about bows, tuning, and what you like and don't like......buying a bow from a shop won't be so important.

When you start feeling yourself get tired shooting, stop right then and there. That's when you start developing bad habits like punching the trigger and peeking.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No kidding !

Put some stick on dots at various places on that target and send one arrow at each dot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice bow and nice group!  

No kidding !

I'm going to follow this advice about spreading out my aiming points.  Archery practice on Labor Day resulted in me destroying a fletching on two arrows  Since everyone likes pictures, here's the bow:

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#20]
What happened to solo cam?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:43:47 PM EDT
[#21]
check out the EE of archerytalk.com
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:15:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm going to follow this advice about spreading out my aiming points.  Archery practice on Labor Day resulted in me destroying a fletching on two arrows
View Quote

NAP quick fletch works well for replacing fletchings NAP quickfletch. There is also the guards that you can put on the end of your nocks to deflect close shots nock collars
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:36:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Simply NOT true.

Both bows were ready to shoot and all I needed to do was drift the peep to my natural anchor and eye positions.  They serve the peep in such a way that you simply slide it where you need it.
I haven't had to touch mine since and my daughter's is staying where she needs it.

OP - I think it's a good thing for you to support your local guy, especially if you believe their hand's on assistance will help you and you don't mind kicking in some extra cash for that peace of mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go to a proshop.

Simply NOT true.

Then you were lucky having the length correct right out of the box. I own a proshop, and tune countless bows bought online and at the big box stores. So while maybe you have the right build to be an out of the box with some bows the vast majority dont.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Then everyone I have talked to who bought from them 'got lucky'.  I have NEVER heard how they got it wrong.

That's not many though, I admit.

But still, 10 - 15 Folks having correctly set up bows leads me to believe that Hunter's Friend get's it right more often than can be chalked up to 'luck'.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:12:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

NAP quick fletch works well for replacing fletchings NAP quickfletch. There is also the guards that you can put on the end of your nocks to deflect close shots nock collars
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'm going to follow this advice about spreading out my aiming points.  Archery practice on Labor Day resulted in me destroying a fletching on two arrows

So the quick fletch is a sleeve with three fletchings that fits over the arrow and then shrinks to fit the arrow, applying all three fletchings at once?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:22:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Then everyone I have talked to who bought from them 'got lucky'.  I have NEVER heard how they got it wrong.

But still, 10 - 15 Folks having correctly set up bows leads me to believe that Hunter's Friend get's it right more often than can be chalked up to 'luck'.
View Quote

The only way they "get it right" is if the person ordering the bow knows exactly what they want and need (draw length, weight) etc... but what advice the OP was asking for pertained to someone who doesn't know...

Even then, knowing 28"@70lbs doesn't factor in shooting form variations that would impact knock, rest, sight, peep, button placement etc.

Setting draw length and poundage is not the same as tuning everything to match the shooters mechanics.

And just because you can shoot your bow (and maybe even shoot it well) doesn't mean it's optimally tuned or that you aren't shooting around a tuning or equipment issue.

Tuning isn't really voodoo, and most can readily learn to paper tune/walk back/french etc - but when getting in (or back in) to shooting for the first time, buying a bow sight unseen isn't the optimal way to approach it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:23:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

So the quick fletch is a sleeve with three fletchings that fits over the arrow and then shrinks to fit the arrow, applying all three fletchings at once?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, think heat shrink tubing with vanes attached.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:31:01 AM EDT
[#28]
The pro shop will fix your fletchings for about $2.00
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The only way they "get it right" is if the person ordering the bow knows exactly what they want and need (draw length, weight) etc... but what advice the OP was asking for pertained to someone who doesn't know...

Even then, knowing 28"@70lbs doesn't factor in shooting form variations that would impact knock, rest, sight, peep, button placement etc.

Setting draw length and poundage is not the same as tuning everything to match the shooters mechanics.

And just because you can shoot your bow (and maybe even shoot it well) doesn't mean it's optimally tuned or that you aren't shooting around a tuning or equipment issue.

Tuning isn't really voodoo, and most can readily learn to paper tune/walk back/french etc - but when getting in (or back in) to shooting for the first time, buying a bow sight unseen isn't the optimal way to approach it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Three or four of the folks I know who bought from hunter's friend were new shooters.  Me included.

You will also notice that I posted earlier in this thread that the OP couldn't really go wrong with buying local.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a neat idea then.  Some of my coworkers who are experienced bowhunters have been telling me about various jigs to attach fletching.  I'll look into this as an alternative, as at some point I'll probably want the ability to repair my arrows.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 2:18:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The pro shop will fix your fletchings for about $2.00
View Quote

I assumed it would be pretty cheap for a pro shop repair.  I'm going to bring the damaged arrows in for a fix and will probably see how much to have the shop make me 6 more to match the 6 that came with the bow.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 12:04:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Three or four of the folks I know who bought from hunter's friend were new shooters.  Me included.

You will also notice that I posted earlier in this thread that the OP couldn't really go wrong with buying local.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are a new shooter, how do you even know if they got it right? I've seen a ton of people THINK they have their setup right and it's FAAAARRRRRR from being setup right. Hunter's friend IS a PRO SHOP, and they can get the bow set up, but unless you know EXACTLY how you want your bow, they can only do so much. New shooters NEVER KNOW EXACTLY what they want, or need. Most don't even know how to calculate their draw length, let alone where they need the peep. You just can't get this stuff fine tuned unless they are there to watch you shoot, and a slider peep half ass served in is DEFINITELY not what a beginner shooter needs or wants.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If you are a new shooter, how do you even know if they got it right? I've seen a ton of people THINK they have their setup right and it's FAAAARRRRRR from being setup right. Hunter's friend IS a PRO SHOP, and they can get the bow set up, but unless you know EXACTLY how you want your bow, they can only do so much. New shooters NEVER KNOW EXACTLY what they want, or need. Most don't even know how to calculate their draw length, let alone where they need the peep. You just can't get this stuff fine tuned unless they are there to watch you shoot, and a slider peep half ass served in is DEFINITELY not what a beginner shooter needs or wants.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, well a few months after taking delivery on my bow which hunter's friend sent, the second 3D tourney I entered I came in third so...

And I was a new shooter.

On top of that, I wore the string out within 8 months and had Mike Carter 'Crackerize' my bow at the same time he installed his custom strings.

He gave the bow, and my draw, anchor, release, and follow through the thumbs up.

I'm taking my experiences, quite a few other's experiences w/ hunter's friend, and Carter's thumb's up over your claims and gonna continue to live well.

Have a nice season there Mr. Alpha Male stud muffin.

The list.  You made it.

'click'
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 1:58:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yeah, well a few months after taking delivery on my bow which hunter's friend sent, the second 3D tourney I entered I came in third so...

And I was a new shooter.

On top of that, I wore the string out within 8 months and had Mike Carter 'Crackerize' my bow at the same time he installed his custom strings.

He gave the bow, and my draw, anchor, release, and follow through the thumbs up.

I'm taking my experiences, quite a few other's experiences w/ hunter's friend, and Carter's thumb's up over your claims and gonna continue to live well.

The list.  You made it.

'click'
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I was a new shooter.

The list.  You made it.

'click'

Awesome!! Hopefully that will keep you from giving ridiculous "advice" on bows and ground blinds before you ruin people on the sport
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:23:09 AM EDT
[#35]
I knew my measurements etc, and had hunters friend set up my new PSE this year, great shop, service and good prices.

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 6:14:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Got to know your numbers.  Even then different bows will pull differently.  I went to several shops and they all had me measured with different draw lengths.  One shop had me at 29" very next shop had me in 27" perfect fit.  Then got a couple more opinions at 28.5" and 28" 27.5" talk about confusion.

Sometimes a shop known for its know how is worth paying extra for.  Once you figure things out doing it your self is a great option.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:43:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

And a buyer can use this to his advantage.

A guy at the hunting ranch loaned me his $1,200 bow that he bought (used 5x from some yuppie who gave it up after he learned he had to 'sit still' to see deer) off of ebay for $400.

Needless to say, it was freakin amazing (Carbon, weighed nothing and I could hold it at full draw for 15 minutes).
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:17:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Cut your fletching off and get FOBs and never look back

Protip: they work best with a drop away rest
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I absolutely HATE fobs.........
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:54:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love them

what dont you like about them besides them coming off on branches while walking through the woods?  
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:10:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I love them

what dont you like about them besides them coming off on branches while walking through the woods?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love them

Can't shoot the same spot on targets cause you break them
Come off when you hit an animal......making finding your arrow ridiculously difficult.
Incompatible with lighted knocks
Not shoot through mesh compatible
Loud during flight
Pop off on leaf and small twig glances shooting in brushy areas
Drop away rest failure becomes catastrophic, instead of having just moderate arrow deflection
Expensive to replace
Excessive drag increases drop at long range
Ugly as sin

That sums it up off the top of my head.......

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:20:36 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Come off when you hit an animal......making finding your arrow ridiculously difficult.

Loud during flight

Drop away rest failure becomes catastrophic, instead of having just moderate arrow deflection

Expensive to replace

Ugly as sin

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love them

Loud during flight

Expensive to replace

Ugly as sin

Can't shoot them off the shelf either!

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:18:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Can't shoot the same spot on targets cause you break them  True, I aim at different spots
Come off when you hit an animal......making finding your arrow ridiculously difficult.  True, but they then mark the spot of the hit and the arrow will be in a straight line. from shot to knock/FOB to arrow. I have had no problem finding arrows after a pass through. But only one so far, but the biggest advantage to that is there are no vanes to get hung up going through bone.
Incompatible with lighted knocks  Not true. I use them. One brand is compatible, though I forget which one it is. It is the one that has the switch inside, not the one with the wires that requires the arrow shaft to complete the circuit, although I did make a mod to make those work.
Not shoot through mesh compatible  True, I don't do that.
Loud during flight  True, but the target can not hear it coming. I did some tests.
Pop off on leaf and small twig glances shooting in brushy areas  Have not had that happen. But my broad head is just as wide, so if the FOB is going to hit something, the broadhead already did.
Drop away rest failure becomes catastrophic, instead of having just moderate arrow deflection.  Why would the rest not drop away? Does that ever happen? Great,  it will probably happen to me on my next shot now
Expensive to replace. Cheaper than new vanes, but easier to lose.
Excessive drag increases drop at long range. I don't hunt past 30 yards, but I did notice I had to adjust pins at 40 and 50, so true but no factor for my hunting.
Ugly as sin  I like the way they look. Finally a modern upgrade to the arrow vanes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love them

Can't shoot the same spot on targets cause you break them  True, I aim at different spots
Come off when you hit an animal......making finding your arrow ridiculously difficult.  True, but they then mark the spot of the hit and the arrow will be in a straight line. from shot to knock/FOB to arrow. I have had no problem finding arrows after a pass through. But only one so far, but the biggest advantage to that is there are no vanes to get hung up going through bone.
Incompatible with lighted knocks  Not true. I use them. One brand is compatible, though I forget which one it is. It is the one that has the switch inside, not the one with the wires that requires the arrow shaft to complete the circuit, although I did make a mod to make those work.
Not shoot through mesh compatible  True, I don't do that.
Loud during flight  True, but the target can not hear it coming. I did some tests.
Pop off on leaf and small twig glances shooting in brushy areas  Have not had that happen. But my broad head is just as wide, so if the FOB is going to hit something, the broadhead already did.
Drop away rest failure becomes catastrophic, instead of having just moderate arrow deflection.  Why would the rest not drop away? Does that ever happen? Great,  it will probably happen to me on my next shot now
Expensive to replace. Cheaper than new vanes, but easier to lose.
Excessive drag increases drop at long range. I don't hunt past 30 yards, but I did notice I had to adjust pins at 40 and 50, so true but no factor for my hunting.
Ugly as sin  I like the way they look. Finally a modern upgrade to the arrow vanes.

Not arguing, just showing there are different priorities and viewpoints.

I like how they stabilize the arrow very quickly. Target point and fixed broad head have the same point of impact.
I like that they pop off, reducing drag going through bone increasing the chances of a pass through to create a good blood channel. They punch through ribs like butter because they come off leaving nothing but the shaft to pass through bone. Combined with a lighted nock, it is confirmation of a hit with good penetration with the broadhead out the other side when the FOB and lighted nock come off in low light. Confirmation at the shot, that there was a pass through, assuming the arrow is longer that the width of the animal, which in my case it is.

But everything is a trade off. I shoot a quiet but slower bow  (Mathew Switchback XT) and then use a noisy FOB, crazy but I like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top