Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2014 5:23:29 PM EDT
We have land in central Wisconsin.  It's a wooded area with very little farmland.  A vast majority of our area is very poor, sandy soil.  The quality of forest ranges greatly but we have a lot of that 8-10ft scrub crap everywhere that's great for deer to hide in but garbage to hunt.  Our Oak forests have been demolished by disease(every Oak on our property had to be cut due to oak wilt).

Combine that with the fact that our DNR has been in panic mode over CWD and has been handing out doe tags like santa handing out gifts at Christmas and you now have a horrible deer population which, in turn, has caused horrible hunting license sales state wide.  Why hunt what isn't there?

Well this year the DNR finally got it's scape goat.  The exceptionally cold winter we had is to blame for the terrible numbers.  Amazingly the winter of '13-'14 managed to negatively impact deer numbers for the past ten years.  It's certainly not that the DNR made something out of a non-issue(CWD) and royally fricked up their herd count(or purposely under-reported it?  I'm not accusing, just throwing it out there).

But I digress...FINALLY they have accepted that something has to be done.  Wisconsin is divided into 3 zone.  A N. and S. Farmland zone and the central woodland.  For the central woodland they will be giving out a limited number of tags.  How many?

Public land - 50 antlerless tags

Private - 450 antlerless tags are the numbers I am hearing.

So if you are a WI hunter and you're looking for a doe tag make sure to get on the ball early.  Aug. 18th is when you can throw your name in the hat for a doe tag.

Also a noteable point, prior to this our area got the maximum number of doe tags the state would give out anywhere and if you tagged out you could buy another one for 12 dollars.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
We have land in central Wisconsin.  It's a wooded area with very little farmland.  A vast majority of our area is very poor, sandy soil.  The quality of forest ranges greatly but we have a lot of that 8-10ft scrub crap everywhere that's great for deer to hide in but garbage to hunt.  Our Oak forests have been demolished by disease(every Oak on our property had to be cut due to oak wilt).

Combine that with the fact that our DNR has been in panic mode over CWD and has been handing out doe tags like santa handing out gifts at Christmas and you now have a horrible deer population which, in turn, has caused horrible hunting license sales state wide.  Why hunt what isn't there?

Well this year the DNR finally got it's scape goat.  The exceptionally cold winter we had is to blame for the terrible numbers.  Amazingly the winter of '13-'14 managed to negatively impact deer numbers for the past ten years.  It's certainly not that the DNR made something out of a non-issue(CWD) and royally fricked up their herd count(or purposely under-reported it?  I'm not accusing, just throwing it out there).

But I digress...FINALLY they have accepted that something has to be done.  Wisconsin is divided into 3 zone.  A N. and S. Farmland zone and the central woodland.  For the central woodland they will be giving out a limited number of tags.  How many?

Public land - 50 antlerless tags

Private - 450 antlerless tags are the numbers I am hearing.

So if you are a WI hunter and you're looking for a doe tag make sure to get on the ball early.  Aug. 18th is when you can throw your name in the hat for a doe tag.

Also a noteable point, prior to this our area got the maximum number of doe tags the state would give out anywhere and if you tagged out you could buy another one for 12 dollars.  
View Quote

Not a N. & S. farmland zone. South farmland, central forest, and northern forest. AFAIK, zero doe tags in most of the northern forest (none in my county - Vilas- for certain). Everything you said is dead on. Deer numbers in the north have steadily declined since late 1990s also. Too many doe tags, lack of logging that creates better habitat (deer do NOT thrive in old growth hardwood forests), and a HUGE increase in predators such as coyotes, wolves, and yes, bear too (which mostly prey on fawns... very efficiently too I might ad). Until the last two, winters were average or milder than average over the last 15 yrs. The last two have been very severe (last year was the most severe winter in WI's recorded weather history... and I'm still seeing deer every day).
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:56:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Ah, thanks for the correction.  Yeah N. Farmland wouldn't make much sense for a zone in N. WI.

I live in a semi-rural area of S. Milwaukee county.  We've got a fair amount of farmland around us.  Honestly, we've been seeing more deer this summer than we have seen in a while.  It's quite strange considering the winter we had.

Our little strip of land up north has been HORRIBLE for hunting lately though.  The entire area has been quite poor but our tiny strip is especially shit for hunting.  There used to be public land along a river by our property that was great for late season but some jackass with an in with the county convinced them to put it up for sale so he could buy it all.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#3]
There's also a central farmland zone now too (they split "farmland" into south & central). That makes 4... central & southern farmland, central & northern forest.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#4]
50 doe tags for ALL public land?  I know places that get 50 tags per farm. I also know of a place that gets 365 nusiance permits - a deer a day as it were. Damn virtually every hunter I know in the zone I hunt in upstate NY gets a buck and doe tag. Add another one for bow and muzzleloader and each guy can fill a bunch of freezers. We blister the crap out of em and on day 3 of the season alter our shooting patterns so as not to overkill does, go for racks only or on good days run with the motto "if its brown its down"

Ill be damned but theres a new cropload every year including some slammers
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 11:10:11 PM EDT
[#5]
A state government has no business telling me how many deer I can kill on my own property.  Public land....sure.

If they want that power, they should be held accountable for my losses from my garden, grapes and muscadine.

ETA:  Since I'm on a roll here, I should also be able to kill birds of prey that I find killing my chickens.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:22:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Our doe tags were cut also but I think its a good thing
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A state government has no business telling me how many deer I can kill on my own property.  Public land....sure.

If they want that power, they should be held accountable for my losses from my garden, grapes and muscadine.

ETA:  Since I'm on a roll here, I should also be able to kill birds of prey that I find killing my chickens.

View Quote

The deer are not your own personal property. If you want to kill all you want, put up a high fence and buy some breading stock.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Our doe tags were cut also but I think its a good thing
View Quote

I entirely agree that it's a good thing.

There are 50 doe tags(antlerless) for the zone we are in(which is the smallest of the 4, I believe).  They were sold out within seconds of going on sale.  I did land a private land antlerless tag though(450 of those available).

If some gnarly old bitch comes strolling by I'll take her but I'm going to try and hold off on anything that isn't past prime breeding years.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:18:10 PM EDT
[#9]
My neck of the woods has had a scorched earth brown its down attitude for to long and it really shows in the numbers we've been seeing the last several years.  Our dnr are a bunch of head up their asses fucktards all deer tags are to them are paychecks
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My neck of the woods has had a scorched earth brown its down attitude for to long and it really shows in the numbers we've been seeing the last several years.  Our dnr are a bunch of head up their asses fucktards all deer tags are to them are paychecks
View Quote

Just think of all the kickbacks they get from the insurance companies though!
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:49:47 AM EDT
[#11]
They have been slowing down on doe tags in my Missouri too.  In most of MO the year before last it was one any deer tag and an unlimited number of doe tags.  Last year it was one any and two doe.  This year it is one any and one doe.  I think CWD is being blamed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top