Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2014 2:42:28 PM EDT
I don't hunt much so i'm out of the game. Looking to see what a good deer load is, figure I could use a regular old core-lokt load but figured I would look at a newer load.

Going to be hunting mule deer.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I switched from 150 gr core-loc to the Hornady 165 grain boat tail when I started Elk hunting 25 years ago, and have had good results for Mule Deer, Blacktail Deer and Elk.  I recently  bought some of the Superformance 165 grain GMX loads for my next hunt.  Figured I would try the "lead free" load.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#2]
My preferred load is the Federal 165 gr Trophy Bonded Bear claw or the 150TSX. These two loads have performed well on cow elk here in Colorado and some large white tails. I also know several folks that have done well,with them in Africa
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 7:17:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Tons of great options.  Nosler accubonds in a 308 are an excellent choice if you are loading your own.  I also like the hornady GMX superformance and just about any of the Barnes bullets.  There is nothing wring with off the shelf at Wal Mart Remington or Winchester ammo either, but I look at it this way:  If you don't get the opportunity to hunt much, why not stack the deck as much in your favor as possible.  Yes, the more expensive bullets hurt the wallet, but there is alot to be said in having the confidence that the bullet will do its part in the moment of truth.  I'd buy 60 rounds (3 boxes).  Use 10-15 to get sighted in and grouped up and then have 40+ rounds that will last a long time even with a scope change.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 8:00:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm partial to 180 grain, core-lok, Federal (blue & gray box) or Hornady's. We've got some thick veg around here so I stick with my bullies in the brush.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Fusion ammo by fredrow
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top