Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2014 6:02:07 PM EDT
Alright... I am new to hunting and trying to get what I need to be successful...  right now I am just checking to see if its feasible to use a ground blind for hunting deer (archery and rifle)?  

I have 3 boys (ages 10, 7 and 5) that I would like to take out but don't want to mess with tree stands...  I'll also be using the blind on a military installation so I like the idea of being able to break it down when I am done using it and setting it back up whenever I want...

Please let me know what you think.... my understanding is that scent control will be the biggest issue...
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Those ages will probably have problems sitting still so a blind will cover many of their movements.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#2]
You can also buy ground blinds with scent control.  I have never used portable ground blinds but have hunted out of homemade ground blinds for years.  Currently have 4 stands in a tree and would like the portability of the new blinds.  I also have kids and dont want to put them in trees yet as well.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I think every deer hunter should have a ground blind.

They work when other options aren't ideal.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:43:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a double bull blind that I use sometimes when I take my son hunting. It's a pretty large blind but it still can get a bit crowded inside if you bring a lot of gear. I tend to bring more stuff when I have him along so that he doesn't get cold, hungry etc. I have found that the five gallon bucket stools with the swivel top are a pretty good thing. We each put what we need in our bucket so it's out of the way if we are not using it.

With four of you you will need a big blind.

Also, they are not as good at masking noise as an insulated wooden blind is but it doesn't sound like that's an option for you.

Place it in/near some brush and "brush it in" with some foliage from nearby if you can.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:30:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I hunt hogs using a ground blind occasionally, and the hogs come around sometimes snorting like they know something isn't completely right, other times they walk right to the feed. I have never seen a deer when I was using the blind but thats not to say they weren't around.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:29:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Not my favorite way to hunt but in your situation I agree it's the best option. A boy I take hunting got his first deer out of a ground blind when he was 10 or 11.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#7]
We have used portable ground blinds for several years on our lease with very good results.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I have bow hunted exclusively from the ground for 3 years.

Take a look at this and then google Ghostblind

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:59:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I've used a double bull ground blind for years and love it. It shines in bad weather keeping you dry and out of the wind. Deer may be curious about it at times but they still come out and walk by it. I've set mine up in the middle of a field and had deer walk within five yards of it an hour later
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:15:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I've used them and shot a couple deer out of them. part of using them is to make sure you put them out a few weeks before you actually plan on hunting out of them. This way the deer get accustomed to seeing them there. Also, brushing them in or setting them up with some tree cover is a good idea as well.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:55:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We have used portable ground blinds for several years on our lease with very good results.
View Quote

This.

As or 'scent control' I have pissed on the corn under the feeder and still watched deer feed that same afternoon.

Scent Control is more marketing than reality.

I wear deodorant, street clothes, smoke a cigar, drink beer/whiskey, and still see deer.

IMHO, I would be more concerned with noise and movement (ie. no silhouettes)  than scent.

TRG
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:09:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree.  I use ground blinds fairly often.  

I would not take 3 young boys deer hunting at the same time.  Start with the oldest, when he shoots his first deer then take the next one.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:46:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bingo. OP, if you have kids then a ground blind is a must. I always being one with, incase I need to call an audible if my tree stands are cold.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:34:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been using ground blinds exclusively last 4 yrs as I hunt on state gamelands.  Used to use a climber when on military installations where both (mil & GL) you can not leave a stand up.  I keep a trowel in my daypack and have dug cat holes when nature called, 30 mins later had turkeys, deer or black bear all within 30 yds.  Great for foul weather or when you have inexperienced hunters with you as movement is greatly hidden.  I made my own shooting sticks out of some scape lumber with a screw.  Suggest you practice setting up several times before you go into the woods at o dark thrity.  I also like using a camp chair with back as I'm older now.

pan view

CD
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I appreciate all of the comments and pics... I will only have one of my boys out with me at a time and will definitely go with a ground blind... Now I just have to figure out which one!  

Thanks and good luck to you this year.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 11:28:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I appreciate all of the comments and pics... I will only have one of my boys out with me at a time and will definitely go with a ground blind... Now I just have to figure out which one!  

Thanks and good luck to you this year.
View Quote

Ameristep makes some nice blinds for the money.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 11:53:47 PM EDT
[#17]
The Ravage

Edit: It fits myself and my brother in law, 2 camp chairs, guns and backpacks comfortably.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:58:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Blinds are absolutely asinine for gun hunting, or even adults in general for anything but turkeys. It's far easier to just hide yourself than a giant blob of a blind.

However, if you have kids that can't hold still, you might have to have one. That is the one thing they are useful for.

I can't stress enough how much better it is to hunt out of a tree stand, especially rifle hunting. You can see SOOOOOOOOO much better, have much clearer shooting lanes, drift your scent, calls sound better, ect.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Blinds are absolutely asinine for gun hunting, or even adults in general for anything but turkeys. It's far easier to just hide yourself than a giant blob of a blind.

However, if you have kids that can't hold still, you might have to have one. That is the one thing they are useful for.

I can't stress enough how much better it is to hunt out of a tree stand, especially rifle hunting. You can see SOOOOOOOOO much better, have much clearer shooting lanes, drift your scent, calls sound better, ect.
View Quote

all that is true.

But I really enjoy being eye level with deer and at close range bow hunting, behind my ghost blind. It is a completely different experience than being in a tree and it allows me to hunt places on public land where there are no other hunters because there are no trees big enough for tree stands. It gives me a huge edge on public land and it is a completely different experience.

It all depends on what you are after and the circumstances.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

all that is true.

But I really enjoy being eye level with deer and at close range bow hunting, behind my ghost blind. It is a completely different experience than being in a tree and it allows me to hunt places on public land where there are no other hunters because there are no trees big enough for tree stands. It gives me a huge edge on public land and it is a completely different experience.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

all that is true.

Your ghost blind is a little bit different than the giant marshmallows that I hate (and that generally are made from materials that reflect UV)

I have nothing against hunting off the ground, sometimes like you said, it's something that there is no other option sometimes. However, it's WAY easier to become invisible to the deer to simply brush in a natural blind with a stool and sit still. Just like with your ghost blind, you will have to stick your head and bow out some to draw and shoot......but it's way easier than trying to make a pop up blind disappear. Not to mention it's free, and you can build dozens of them during your summer scouting when you find good locations,

This is even more advisable when using an xbow or a gun. With either of those, a pop up blind is the absolutely biggest mistake someone can make. It's basically a giant neon sign saying "Hey, I'm over here" when simply sitting against the base of a tree in camo would work 100x better.

I have one of the best pop up blinds on the market, and I hate it for anything other than concealing children that can't hold still. For anything else, I find it absolutely worthless.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Your ghost blind is a little bit different than the giant marshmallows that I hate (and that generally are made from materials that reflect UV)

I have nothing against hunting off the ground, sometimes like you said, it's something that there is no other option sometimes. However, it's WAY easier to become invisible to the deer to simply brush in a natural blind with a stool and sit still. Just like with your ghost blind, you will have to stick your head and bow out some to draw and shoot......but it's way easier than trying to make a pop up blind disappear. Not to mention it's free, and you can build dozens of them during your summer scouting when you find good locations,

This is even more advisable when using an xbow or a gun. With either of those, a pop up blind is the absolutely biggest mistake someone can make. It's basically a giant neon sign saying "Hey, I'm over here" when simply sitting against the base of a tree in camo would work 100x better.

I have one of the best pop up blinds on the market, and I hate it for anything other than concealing children that can't hold still. For anything else, I find it absolutely worthless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

all that is true.

<snort>

But for SOME non asinine reason, the blind works for Turkeys and Kids.

Right....

I have always enjoyed hunting out of mine during a downpour.  They have their place for adults with guns too...
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:07:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

<snort>

Right....

I have always enjoyed hunting out of mine during a downpour.  They have their place for adults with guns too...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

all that is true.

<snort>

Right....

I have good clothing that I don't need to worry about the rain  I'd much rather be damp and be able to see, even if I didn't have the proper clothing. Tht's even assuming deer move during a downpour, which they don't, lol. Right after a downpour, is golden though, but that's why I have a phone with weather and radar, so I don't have to be in a downpour for very long

Yep, turkeys and kids. My kids start getting sent up a tree at a pretty early age though, lol.

Make sure if you do have a blind, that you test it for UV reflectivity with a black light. Almost all of them glow like a giant marshmallow, which is exactly how the deer will see them. They quite literally are, the hardest thing to hide in the woods that there is.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:00:36 AM EDT
[#23]
I love using blinds.  Over the years I have used the ones for $79ish and they work, but are a bit small.  Last year I bought two Primos XL Blinds and my Dad and I were able to hunt together in same blind for Turkey season.  Much more room and it is easy to set up.

Don't let them sit out for months in the sun though.  I have two that not only faded, but the material got real weak and has several cuts in it now.

They help with scent control, but I think the blinds really help with cutting down on your movement.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have good clothing that I don't need to worry about the rain  I'd much rather be damp and be able to see, even if I didn't have the proper clothing. Tht's even assuming deer move during a downpour, which they don't, lol. Right after a downpour, is golden though, but that's why I have a phone with weather and radar, so I don't have to be in a downpour for very long

Yep, turkeys and kids. My kids start getting sent up a tree at a pretty early age though, lol.

Make sure if you do have a blind, that you test it for UV reflectivity with a black light. Almost all of them glow like a giant marshmallow, which is exactly how the deer will see them. They quite literally are, the hardest thing to hide in the woods that there is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

all that is true.

<snort>

Right....

When the rain stopped, I was already a mile and a half in....

There isn't any question hunting off the ground is pretty sweet in comparison to mfr'd ground blinds.

The point is:  If they can get the job done on Turkey and with fidgety kids, they can certainly get the job done for adults with gun or bow.

So, they are hardly 'asinine'.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:35:50 AM EDT
[#25]
My father in law has used them for deer and turkey hunting.  They work very well in my opinion.  I've used one before during deer season and watched coyotes in our pasture.  I positioned it next to some small cedar trees and the coyotes never payed attention at all.  It was a little far for blackpowder range but a 223 could have got him easily.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I buy the cheapest 2 man blind that Wal-Mart has on sale at the end of the season.  I put it out at least a month before opening day and brush it in.  My wife and I prefer to take deer up close and personal with a traditional black powder rifle or bow.  My record is perfect.  I have dropped every deer with one shot and it has always been DRT.  I’ve helped other people track deer, but never had to track one I shot.  I’m sorry this offends Ridley.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I buy the cheapest 2 man blind that Wal-Mart has on sale at the end of the season.  I put it out at least a month before opening day and brush it in.  My wife and I prefer to take deer up close and personal with a traditional black powder rifle or bow.  My record is perfect.  I have dropped every deer with one shot and it has always been DRT.  I’ve helped other people track deer, but never had to track one I shot.  I’m sorry this offends Ridley.
View Quote

Why would I be offended? If you want optimal conditions, you need to be up in a tree. You don't need optimal to kill deer.....    I prefer optimal because I'm not out there to just shoot ANY deer, and that is what I will continue to recommend. 7 years in a row with a P&Y buck....I think I'll continue what I have suggested.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top