Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2014 4:18:27 PM EDT
i want to use my new rifle for some fall deer hunting.  i know the importance of shot placement.  i can do my part with accuracy and shot placement.

what i want to find out is which bullets, velocities, etc. will get the wound ballistics i'll need for lethal, clean kills for various yardages.  deer hunting information for those who know IS different than human target defensive ammo (unless sometime you need to track someone after you shoot them....)

i know that under close in conditions 0-100yards probably any bullet with a neck or spinal shot will get the job done.  I want to know how to evaluate lung/heart shots from this caliber platform.

any real life experiences will be greatly appreciated.  also brands, sizes, etc of ammunition suppliers.

thanks!
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#1]
55gr v-max and shot placement makes a good combo....
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#2]
64gr Winchester PowerPoints
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote
IMHO, I wouldn't recommend a varmint bullet for deer.

Link Posted: 7/1/2014 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#4]
barnes tsx
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Barnes TSX 62gr or 70gr

Remington Hog Hammer 62gr

Federal Fusion 62gr
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 4:22:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Reco a bigger round...

Unless you are a expert marksman. Have a heart for bambi and get a 308 or 30 06
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 4:28:29 PM EDT
[#8]
can post pics of dear(3) that ran les than 20 feet..... not saying its the best  my load not yours just a recommendation.....
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
i want to use my new rifle for some fall deer hunting.  i know the importance of shot placement.  i can do my part with accuracy and shot placement.

what i want to find out is which bullets, velocities, etc. will get the wound ballistics i'll need for lethal, clean kills for various yardages.  deer hunting information for those who know IS different than human target defensive ammo (unless sometime you need to track someone after you shoot them....)

i know that under close in conditions 0-100yards probably any bullet with a neck or spinal shot will get the job done.  I want to know how to evaluate lung/heart shots from this caliber platform.

any real life experiences will be greatly appreciated.  also brands, sizes, etc of ammunition suppliers.

thanks!
View Quote

Everything you want to know has been discussed since 2009 in this thread  which is conveniently tacked at the top of this forum...
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_23/626832_223__Deer_Hunting_Rounds.html
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 5:57:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I handload all my hunting ammo but through trial and error I can tell you what works.

I have had better luck with the 55-64 gr bullets in particular Sierra's 55gr BTHP and 63gr SP, both of these bullets are commercially loaded as well.
Fed offers the 55gr load and Silver State Armory the 63gr load.

The 63 gr bullet works well for the older 1/12 twist barrels, worked great in my old Colt, loaded at 2900 fps it was accurate and lethal on deer. I've had good kills with this round up to 160 yds

I load the 55gr to near M193 velocity, as is the Fed load, and all deer shot have gone down in their tracks or only gone a few yards.  Longest kill was 230ish yds on a large doe, double lung shot DRT.
Example A: 110yds quartering shot through right shoulder.
" />
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:21:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Barnes
Sierra
Swift
All will do the job.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
64gr Winchester PowerPoints
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:50:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Reco a bigger round...

View Quote

^^Typical fudd answer

5.56/.223 is more than enough for deer, if you even half ass know how to aim/shoot.  

I would suggest Barnes 55-62grn TSX, or the Hornady 75gr or Sierra 77gr BTHP are also quite effective.  I have used all four types on deer/hogs here in GA....

I would love to have some Win 64 PPs, but those sum beaches are never in stock when I buy my reloading components.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

For groundhogs or coyotes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 Eric!

I think it's a total dick move to use a fucking varmint bullet on a deer!
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

+1 Eric!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 Eric!

6.8 SPC, 90gr TNT, shoot does in the neck.  Instakill/drop shots 32 times out of 32 times I have pulled the trigger on them....
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

6.8 SPC, 90gr TNT, shoot does in the neck.  Instakill/drop shots 32 times out of 32 times I have pulled the trigger on them....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 Eric!

Oh, OK. So because you killed the deer it makes it better, right? Cause I can run out, and poison a deer, and kill it too. But just because I killed the deer doesn't make it right, does it?
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 5:53:18 PM EDT
[#17]
62 grain silver bear soft point-
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

+1 Eric!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 Eric!

Drops them like a sack of potatoes. To each his own.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I vote for a Barnes TSX bullet.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#20]
after having shot scores of deer with 223 I have 2 favorites #1 Hornady 75 gr OTM and #2 70 gr TSX
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 Eric!

I'm sure it does. It's just a personal pet peeve I guess. I don't mean any offense to anyone, BTW.

I really don't have to much room to talk. Cause when I first started hunting deer with .223 a decade ago. I used exclusively 75gn Honady Match ammo. Not much better than a varmint round.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 4:48:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Oh, OK. So because you killed the deer it makes it better, right? Cause I can run out, and poison a deer, and kill it too. But just because I killed the deer doesn't make it right, does it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 Eric!

I will revise my post since you manned up and apologized for it being a pet peeve of yours in the post above this one.  I would agree that using .224 caliber varmint bullets is probably not a good idea at all, but larger caliber varmint bullets do work well IF THE SHOOTER KNOWS WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE DOING!  There are plenty of morons running around with .300 WinMag/.30-06 and the like shooting dear and not killing them cleanly either, so it's obviously not a bullet selection problem, but rather a shot placement problem.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 5:28:04 AM EDT
[#23]
I have only killed one with my ar so far. 169 yard double lung shot with Remington core lock did the job nicely.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 5:58:46 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm no expert on hunting deer with an AR, but I have shot some with 7.62.  I know they are "hardy" wild animals, but I wouldn't call it inhumane to shoot one with an AR.  After all, it is being used to kill humans, my logic could be a little flawed, but I think it is more than capable of doing the job with a heavier bullet and correct shot placement.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 6:05:04 AM EDT
[#25]
62gr federal fusion
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#26]
I dropped a spike that dressed 85lbs with a 223 Remingon 62gr corelokt bonded at about 40yds.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 5:07:45 AM EDT
[#27]
nice buck where(on body) did you shoot it?
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 6:05:48 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Reco a bigger round...

View Quote

Plenty of deer have been killed with < .30 cal.  

.223, .243, .257, .270, .25

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Barnes TSX 62 grain FTW
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 7:58:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Barnes TSX 62 grain FTW
View Quote

The 55 work just as well 200 yards an in....
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 10:20:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Barnes TSX 62 grain FTW

I like the bullet to exit, I recovered too many 55 grners
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 12:49:20 PM EDT
[#32]
I will add to the pile of other answers that say please use a larger caliber for deer.  You are incapable of guaranteeing you can "do [your] part with accuracy and shot placement."  Stuff happens.  As a hunter you are responsible for ensuring a clean, humane kill.  Choosing a .223 is hedging your bet on the skinny side of firepower.

That being said, any commercial .223 pushing a Barnes TSX would be my recommendation based on weight retention.  Here's what the Remington Hog Hammer will do: http://instagram.com/p/oRvhP1htEF/?modal=true
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I will add to the pile of other answers that say please use a larger caliber for deer.  You are incapable of guaranteeing you can "do [your] part with accuracy and shot placement."  Stuff happens.  As a hunter you are responsible for ensuring a clean, humane kill.  Choosing a .223 is hedging your bet on the skinny side of firepower.

That being said, any commercial .223 pushing a Barnes TSX would be my recommendation based on weight retention.  Here's what the Remington Hog Hammer will do: http://instagram.com/p/oRvhP1htEF/?modal=true
View Quote

223 is fine for deer with the correct bullet.  A shot in the guts with a 338 Ultra mag is not anymore likely to give you a kill
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 1:34:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

223 is fine for deer with the correct bullet.  A shot in the guts with a 338 Ultra mag is not anymore likely to give you a kill
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:49:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well said!
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Many folks prefer Barnes TSX 62gr bullet. Remington now loads the .223 Hog Hammer round with this Barnes TSX 62gr bullet. I bought a box at walmart. Makes buying hunting ammo easy.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Many folks prefer Barnes TSX 62gr bullet. Remington now loads the .223 Hog Hammer round with this Barnes TSX 62gr bullet. I bought a box at walmart. Makes buying hunting ammo easy.
View Quote

Do that load it as hot as Black Hills loads their 62gr Barnes?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top