Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2014 11:03:29 PM EDT
This is a great site , but I'm very green to the "black" guns

I want to purchase an AR and have a few questions.
I do not feel competent enough to build my own yet.

My main interest at this point is buying a light weight
AR with a 16 inch barrel to hunt deer with.

1 Is the 300 blackout an ethical round for deer size game under 150 yards?
2 would it be better to buy the gun with a 300 black out upper, and buy a second 556 upper for plinking?
Or
3 Would it be better to buy a gun with a 556 upper and buy a 300 black out upper to hunt with?

I'm not sure if there is an advantage either way?
I was looking at a S&W complete AR
4 Is the S&W a decent AR for the money?or should I be looking somewhere else ?

Thanks for any help in advance!
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Deer hunting, in my experience, is a one shot game.  I have used .22-250, 5.56, .270, 30-06, and .308  ... I've also used a 9mm AR with 147gr (poor man's 300 blackout) ... it works too.  But, for deer hunting, in my experience, you need a round that is guaranteed to exit.  All of the above calibers, including 5.56 does not give you that guarantee.

FWIW, I would grab a Savage 110 in .308 and put a decent piece of glass on top and be 'done' with my deer hunting setup.  Under 450 for the entire setup if you buy used from our equipment exchange or a local pawn shop.

If you want an AR15 for other things, plinking, hog hunting, home defense .. lots of options on the market for that.

TRG
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Both 300BLK, and .223 are sufficient for hunting, and killing deer. Don't be fooled by all the nay sayers, and unrealistic standards!

I will say; Shot placement is key!

ETA: Funny how an AR15 is sufficient for hog, and not deer according to some folks.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:40:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Both 300BLK, and .223 are sufficient for hunting, and killing deer. Don't be fooled by all the nay sayers, and unrealistic standards!

ETA: Funny how an AR15 is sufficient for hog, and not deer according to some folks.
View Quote

Deer and hogs are different goals.  I shoot deer with the intention of recovering the meat and can not legally 'shoot to wound' a game animal in my state.Hogs are non-gam and I don't worry about recovery.  Deer are game animals and I hunt them with the intention of recovering the animal.

I use 9mm on hogs.  I don't care if the hog runs away, wounded, and dies three days later.  

Both rounds will kill both animals, but ... A deer (and a hog) can run a substantial distance when shot.  For a deer, I am legally responsible for recovering the meat.  Even with a 'perfect' shot on a deer, they can still live, and run, a 100-200 yards or more.  I need a blood trail to find them when they run.  I have recovered heart-shot deer 75 yards from the point of impact.  They run, jig, juke, and dive through brush.  Hogs do as well.  

I've probably killed more hogs on this forum with a 9mm AR15 than anyone else.  I've also killed several deer with that 9mm.  But, 9mm won't leave a gaping, bloody, trackable, exit wound.  It goes in at .38 diameter and exits at .38 diameter.  Deer, and hogs, don't bleed much with a .38 diameter exit wound.

Nobody is going to argue that a 9mm, or .300 Blackout, won't kill a deer or hog, but ... unless they fall DRT, you are going to need some method to locate the carcass.  Blood trails are only generated by a bleeding exit wound.

TRG
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:51:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy an AR10 and don't worry about shot placement on a twitchy target.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:58:02 AM EDT
[#5]
If I was going to get an AR15 specifically for deer hunting I'd get a 6.5 or a 6.8. 5.56 has taken plenty of deer though.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:32:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Everyone will give you different answers and experiences. The best thing I've read so far was something about shot placement. In all honesty, that is nearly the only factor that matters. If you put a half way decent bullet in the right spot, a deer usually won't go far. As far as exit wounds from bigger rounds go...the only deer I've ever lost came from a Hornady Superformance 7x57 that left basket ball size splotches of blood. Three men and 8 man hours later we called off the search.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#7]
5.56 will drop a deer dead, so will a 22LR if PLACED properly. Placement is key. Practice is necessary.

I like 308 or 3006 for deer. Lots of KE and devastating wound channels.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Just an FYI you can't use a semi-auto rifle to hunt in Pa.  You can look up all the regs on the game commission site.  And I use a .243 win or a .308 for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Go with a 6.8
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:23:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just an FYI you can't use a semi-auto rifle to hunt in Pa.  You can look up all the regs on the game commission site.  And I use a .243 win or a .308 for what it's worth.
View Quote

This. Though there working on something for semi auto for varmints. You may be able to pull the gas tube and leave it home and its not basically a bolt action.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 11:07:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Deer and hogs are different goals.  I shoot deer with the intention of recovering the meat and can not legally 'shoot to wound' a game animal in my state.Hogs are non-gam and I don't worry about recovery.  Deer are game animals and I hunt them with the intention of recovering the animal.

I use 9mm on hogs.  I don't care if the hog runs away, wounded, and dies three days later.  

Both rounds will kill both animals, but ... A deer (and a hog) can run a substantial distance when shot.  For a deer, I am legally responsible for recovering the meat.  Even with a 'perfect' shot on a deer, they can still live, and run, a 100-200 yards or more.  I need a blood trail to find them when they run.  I have recovered heart-shot deer 75 yards from the point of impact.  They run, jig, juke, and dive through brush.  Hogs do as well.  

I've probably killed more hogs on this forum with a 9mm AR15 than anyone else.  I've also killed several deer with that 9mm.  But, 9mm won't leave a gaping, bloody, trackable, exit wound.  It goes in at .38 diameter and exits at .38 diameter.  Deer, and hogs, don't bleed much with a .38 diameter exit wound.

Nobody is going to argue that a 9mm, or .300 Blackout, won't kill a deer or hog, but ... unless they fall DRT, you are going to need some method to locate the carcass.  Blood trails are only generated by a bleeding exit wound.

TRG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

I don't really give a shit what your rap sheet is. A .223 round is more than enough to kill a deer on the spot, and more than enough to leave a good blood trail. I didn't ask you what the responsibility of a hunter is, how far a deer can run after being heart shot, or how terminal ballistics work!

You aren't the only person in the world that knows something about hunting, or firearms.

xtreme762
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 11:32:09 PM EDT
[#12]
http://s27.postimg.org/69nk57kn7/WP_20131116_002.jpg
As seen above, 300 BLK is more than enough to take out deer. Took this particular one at about 40 yards this past season and she dropped immediately. I have taken one other doe with this same setup, and haven't had the chance to get a buck. Anything under 150 yards is plenty for the 300 BLK, although I'd venture that it could still kill deer past that. As others have already mentioned, shot placement, shot placement. I've had bad experiences with other hunters shooting the shoulders out of deer with .308 and having to track more then 200 yards of red and guts..
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 11:50:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes I'm aware of the silly regulations that the state of PA has
I would not hunt deer there I hunt
In Maryland
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ve used 5.56 in a Rugar Mini 14 for many years to take dear with.   Never had to shot one more than once or track one more than maybe thirty yards at the most.   Most shots wear over a hundred yards.  Got my first AR15 three years ago, and am still using 5.56 and aint lost one with it either.    Last month I put together my first LR308 A2 Carbine in 7.62 NATO.   I’ll see how it does this year.

Wolf
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 4:33:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I use a 6.8 and the wife will be using a .300 BO this year with supers.  I have seen the deer up north, they are huge compared to what we have down south but I would think either of those two calibers would ethically harvest a deer.  I will give the nod to the 6.8 at distance though.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Shot placement and bullet selection are more important than the cartridge selection with the great available bullet selection these days, IMO. I would seriously reconsider the 16" barrel for a designated hunting rifle for hearing protection reasons.

Unless you are going to always use hearing protection, every shot, a 20" will be much more comfortable to shoot in the event you fire without ears on than a 16". Shorter barrels can be absolutely brutal on your ears & tinnitus isn't fun.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 12:15:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Buy the AR of your choice in 5.56, then for deer (or anything else on this continent) get a .450 Bushmaster upper.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Buy the AR of your choice in 5.56, then for deer (or anything else on this continent) get a .450 Bushmaster upper.
View Quote

This is an awesome idea. I actually thought about this last week.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then now's the time to buy one. Midway USA has the .450 Bushmaster 16" upper on sale right now... $549.99 (in stock... I ordered mine about 2 hours ago). 20" barrel model on sale also,  for $649.99 (out of stock, but backordable). They've also got Stoner 9 rnd mags for the .450 on sale for $19 & change. Also have Bushmaster uppers in .300 AAC on sale... $639.99.

Link

Link Posted: 7/1/2014 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Then now's the time to buy one. Midway USA has the .450 Bushmaster 16" upper on sale right now... $549.99 (in stock... I ordered mine about 2 hours ago). 20" barrel model on sale also,  for $649.99 (out of stock, but backordable). They've also got Stoner 9 rnd mags for the .450 on sale for $19 & change. Also have Bushmaster uppers in .300 AAC on sale... $639.99.

Link

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

That's the one I was looking at. The 20" is what I'll get to take full advantage of the round. Cabelas has the 20" in stock but for $699.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Wow! Midway ships fast!!! Ordered 16" .450 upper at 2pm on Tuesday, big brown truck dropped it off today (Thursday).
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 10:12:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wow! Midway ships fast!!! Ordered 16" .450 upper at 2pm on Tuesday, big brown truck dropped it off today (Thursday).
View Quote

Nice! When you get it together, post some pics of the rifle, and targets for us? I'd love to see what I'm getting myself into here.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Nice! When you get it together, post some pics of the rifle, and targets for us? I'd love to see what I'm getting myself into here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All set up, sighted in. Accuracy is amazing. I used Hornady's 250gr FTX loads. Not set up for reloading yet (dies & bullets enroute from Natchezz), so I only shot 30 rounds. All I've got for a scope right now is a cheap BSA Deerhunter 2.5X20 shotgun scope.... but I've been using the same model scope on my Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun for 5 yrs with no issues. At 50 yds, from a Lead-Sled Solo, 13 of 15 shots overlapped!

But.... I had a functioning issue. Constant failure to eject ("Stovepiping" ) in the 1st 20 rounds. Only 4 ejected cleanly. By the 22nd shot, it was working fine. I'm thinking it just needed a break-in. When dis-assembled for cleaning the shipping oil off, I noticed the bolt head didn't rotate very freely in the carrier, and the gas seals were such a tight fit, I really had to yank on it to get it from the carrier. Checked it again after test fire session and it now rotates as it should. It was feeding OK, extractor & ejector seem to be just fine (ejected every round manually when I tested it), but I think the stiff bolt may have caused a bit of a short cycling. When I get my dies and bullets this week, I'll load up some more ammo and do more testing.

ETA: I did some mixing & matching of uppers & lowers when I encountered the FTE issue. I put the .450 upper on an Armalite A2 lower, same thing happened. I put the Armalite upper on the lower I built for the .450, and dig a mag dump of 5.56 with no issues. Then I put a DPMS 5.56 upper on the .450 lower, did another mag dump... so the lower is GTG.

btw... Don't have pics available yet... brand new computer and still learning 8.1, so I don't have pictures downloaded yet. But I did take some of my targets.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

All set up, sighted in. Accuracy is amazing. I used Hornady's 250gr FTX loads. Not set up for reloading yet (dies & bullets enroute from Natchezz), so I only shot 30 rounds. All I've got for a scope right now is a cheap BSA Deerhunter 2.5X20 shotgun scope.... but I've been using the same model scope on my Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun for 5 yrs with no issues. At 50 yds, from a Lead-Sled Solo, 13 of 15 shots overlapped!

But.... I had a functioning issue. Constant failure to eject ("Stovepiping" ) in the 1st 20 rounds. Only 4 ejected cleanly. By the 22nd shot, it was working fine. I'm thinking it just needed a break-in. When dis-assembled for cleaning the shipping oil off, I noticed the bolt head didn't rotate very freely in the carrier, and the gas seals were such a tight fit, I really had to yank on it to get it from the carrier. Checked it again after test fire session and it now rotates as it should. It was feeding OK, extractor & ejector seem to be just fine (ejected every round manually when I tested it), but I think the stiff bolt may have caused a bit of a short cycling. When I get my dies and bullets this week, I'll load up some more ammo and do more testing.

ETA: I did some mixing & matching of uppers & lowers when I encountered the FTE issue. I put the .450 upper on an Armalite A2 lower, same thing happened. I put the Armalite upper on the lower I built for the .450, and dig a mag dump of 5.56 with no issues. Then I put a DPMS 5.56 upper on the .450 lower, did another mag dump... so the lower is GTG.

btw... Don't have pics available yet... brand new computer and still learning 8.1, so I don't have pictures downloaded yet. But I did take some of my targets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome. You might try an oring on the extractor spring to aid in extraction. I know a lot of folks don't believe in those, but sometimes they do help. The gas rings should loosen up as it gets shot more. Just make sure you keep them lubed real good for the first couple hundred rounds.

That's about the only thing that should need broken in. The bolt, and carrier were one of the things that concerned me.

I haven't picked my upper up yet. I'll be getting it at the end of this month. It's good to hear they are pretty accurate. I'm hoping to find, and pick up some Speer Gold Dots to load up for it to hunt with.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Awesome. You might try an oring on the extractor spring to aid in extraction. I know a lot of folks don't believe in those, but sometimes they do help. The gas rings should loosen up as it gets shot more. Just make sure you keep them lubed real good for the first couple hundred rounds.

That's about the only thing that should need broken in. The bolt, and carrier were one of the things that concerned me.

I haven't picked my upper up yet. I'll be getting it at the end of this month. It's good to hear they are pretty accurate. I'm hoping to find, and pick up some Speer Gold Dots to load up for it to hunt with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Finding bullets has been easy... finding powder, not so easy. I just bought 100 of Hornady 250 FTX from Natchez, and already had some Hornady XTPs which I use for .45 Colt. The .450 uses powder typically used in magnum pistol loads, like Lil Gun, H110, W296, IMR 4227. Lil Gun seems to be the preferred powder on all the forums, but there's none to be had. I've used H110 & W296 in both .44mag & .45 Colt hunting loads, so I've got several pounds of those two. Guess they'll have to do for now.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:19:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I did...sorta. Bought a colt in 5.56, then built a blackout upper. Then built another lower. Next comes SBR and suppressor. Blackout killed last year's deer just fine.
Probably build a big bore rifle while waiting for tax stamps. Got to love MS...if NFA says you can own it, you can hunt with it, excluding full auto firearms.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 2:46:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Deer hunting, in my experience, is a one shot game.  I have used .22-250, 5.56, .270, 30-06, and .308  ... I've also used a 9mm AR with 147gr (poor man's 300 blackout) ... it works too.  But, for deer hunting, in my experience, you need a round that is guaranteed to exit.  All of the above calibers, including 5.56 does not give you that guarantee.

FWIW, I would grab a Savage 110 in .308 and put a decent piece of glass on top and be 'done' with my deer hunting setup.  Under 450 for the entire setup if you buy used from our equipment exchange or a local pawn shop.

If you want an AR15 for other things, plinking, hog hunting, home defense .. lots of options on the market for that.

TRG
View Quote

This will do you just fine. I picked up new Savage 11 with a Nikon already on it for less than $400.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:49:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Well, I use my old Lee Enfield .303 for hunting. However, for using the AR platform, 300 Blackout is fine in a carbine. That's a 7.62 bullet in a 7.62x35 cartridge with better accuracy than a an AK. That being said, it's not great at over 100 yards. The absolute best hunting round in the AR 15 platform is the 6.5 Grendel. It's accurate to 800 yards for one thing. At 500 yards it's still supersonic and actually passes a .308 bullet in flight. I build my own AR's so I build for what I want them to do. I only buy parts - I have never even bought a complete lower or upper.

I have my AR's but I hunt with my .303 - no particular reason really. It only has basic old iron sights. I just happen to really like the rifle and every time a bring a deer down with it I'm using a piece of history. If I manage to save enough for an M1 I'll hunt with it too :)

I suppose that when I get an AR10 in .308 built I'll switch to using it for hunting. Save the old guns. AR's with optics don't fit in a saddle scabbard though. I don't only hunt deer. I also hunt elk and we have plenty of them around here in the mountains too. Also mountain goats. All good meat. I doubt anyone is going to take down an 800 lb. elk with a .223 from 300 yards. Elk don't let you get very close either. Generally you can get within around 150 yards of an elk for a good shot. After it is down, it's hard to move it out. I generally hunt with my horse so I gut it on the spot and remove the intestines saving the heart and liver. Then rig a skid with a couple saplings and my horse pulls it home. I do the skinning and butchering at home. I do the same with deer too. They are a bit easier but a lot less meat.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:31:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Can't believe nobody else said it but 458 socom. I use one myself for deer hunting here in Indiana. Every deer I've taken hasn't moved after being shot and the few hogs I've shot haven't moved either.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 8:49:45 AM EDT
[#31]
I good 70-77 grn soft/hollow pont in 5.56 will drop adeer real fast, so if you go 5.56 bullet selection is key, and if say you ever wanted to just plink its the way to go, I would not hesitate to shoot my 300blk at a deer either as its a great round too, think 30/30 ballistics. The 6.5 and 6.8 ballistically are awesome but quite cost prohibitive compared to the 5.56 and 300blk
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This will do you just fine. I picked up new Savage 11 with a Nikon already on it for less than $400.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

He will have a hard time finding a Savage 110 in .308.  110 is a long action.  

Also a quick clean kill should be the goal in taking ANY animal.  Shooting hogs with 9mm to let them run off and die 3 days later is totally unacceptable as a hunter.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:45:35 AM EDT
[#33]
I have a standard AR15A2 lower built. I just haven’t decided what I was going to build (what upper).  I’ve been thinking about either the 450 Bushmaster or the 458 Socom.   I’ve seriously thinking about the 458 Socom, but the price of factory ammo is what is stopping me.   I can’t see paying 50 – 80 $ for a box of shells.  

Wolf
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:40:16 AM EDT
[#34]
5.56 is just fine for whitetail. Hit them in the boiler room and you'll have a dead deer that is easily found. I don't worry about exit wounds....they'll be blowing plenty of blood out of their mouth. I haven't had any issues tracking any deer I've taken with one, including a 214lb dressed out buck. I wouldn't say it's a good caliber choice for a newbie, as you do have to pay attention to having clear shooting lanes and be sure to place the shot correctly. With a decent marksman though, it's a non issue.

My fav bullet has been the 70gr TSX. Haven't yet failed to get an exit wound with that yet.

A larger caliber gives you a little more room for error. Choose what you are comfortable with according to your skill set.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:24:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Like I said in an earlier post I’ve taken more deer with my old mini 14 than any other rifle I own, and I own quite a few.   All I have ever used was 55gr.psp.   Like I said I just acquired my first AR15 in Jan. 2012 and I’ve been using it ever since.   Now this year I built a LR308 Carbine because I’ll be doing some longer shots and in heaver brush.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have a standard AR15A2 lower built. I just haven’t decided what I was going to build (what upper).  I’ve been thinking about either the 450 Bushmaster or the 458 Socom.   I’ve seriously thinking about the 458 Socom, but the price of factory ammo is what is stopping me.   I can’t see paying 50 – 80 $ for a box of shells.  

Wolf
View Quote

Ammo cost was a deciding factor for me too... along with the fact that I've reloaded .45 Colt for years, and  have a good supply of .452 Hornady bullets as a result, that I can load for the .450.

.450 Bushmaster ammo, 250 gr FTX made by Hornady, averages about $30 per box of 20. My LGS had it for $26.95, so I bought 5 boxes. Hornady dies for reloading your empties are about $70, I found them on sale at Natchez for $60, where I also bought 100 Hornady FTX bullets (don't recall the price, but Natchez was cheapest of those I checked, and I was already paying shipping for the dies, so I ordered all from same place ).
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I just built a 11.5" .450 bushmaster "pistol" for deer hunting in Ohio. Hopefully I have a tag left after bow season!!!  

Any guesses on velocity from that barrel from you .450 reloaders?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I just built a 11.5" .450 bushmaster "pistol" for deer hunting in Ohio. Hopefully I have a tag left after bow season!!!  

View Quote

Probably not as big a loss as you might think. I'd guess about 100-200fps less than the 16". Got a chronograph? Test it with the Hornady FTX loads, I've got a chrono, so I'll test my 16" barrel next time I shoot it. Hornady claims 2,200 fps from a 16".
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Run 300blk supers and you will be fine. Or get a 6.8.  Or get a large frame in .308.  A 556 shot in the right place will work too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:08:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Probably not as big a loss as you might think. I'd guess about 100-200fps less than the 16". Got a chronograph? Test it with the Hornady FTX loads, I've got a chrono, so I'll test my 16" barrel next time I shoot it. Hornady claims 2,200 fps from a 16".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be real happy with only a 200 fps loss. I believe the 20ga shotgun slugs shooting these in a sabot are around 1800 fps and they work great terminally. Unfortunately I don't have a chrono.

It sure does give me the giggles sitting in the safe next to my 12ga Benelli SBE slug gun  It sure does look TINY!!!! (sig brace on the pistol)  
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:31:15 AM EDT
[#41]
I would stick with a 223-5.56 but with a 20" barrel and with a 1-7 twist so it will shoot heavy bullets well. I have 1-9's but after about 60-64 grain bullets the groups start to open up, i use 55 grain in mine for whitetail, 64's shoot ok but not like lighter ones.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 3:04:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Also a quick clean kill should be the goal in taking ANY animal.  Shooting hogs with 9mm to let them run off and die 3 days later is totally unacceptable as a hunter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Down here, killing hogs ain't necessarily about hunting.  It's more like exterminating roaches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top