Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2014 8:03:31 PM EDT
Super excited to have a 450 bushmaster in my possession. I primarily want to use it for deer hunting in Northern Wisconsin in pretty thick brush up to 100 yards. A buddy of mine has a eotech on his thumper and is pleased with it, any other recommendations?
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 4:37:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I have been using a Millett 1-4x24 on mine.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 4:45:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Use a Burris Fullfield 2-7x35.  I have been very happy with it at all light levels throughout the day and even at night hog hunting.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 6:40:23 AM EDT
[#3]
leupold muzzle loader scope with bdc
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I generally don't like red dots for hunting, too many bad experiences.  I have a 0x4 scope on my shot gun.  It does pretty good, but find myself wanting a little more power. I think a 2x7 is the way to go.  A good 1x4 is great if most shoots are deep in the woods and not hunting the edges of fields.  I'd go with a Leopold vx2 or vx3 if it was mine.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#5]

VX-3 1.75-6x32mm would make for a nice set up

Link Posted: 6/7/2014 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

VX-3 1.75-6x32mm would make for a nice set up

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#7]
3-9 trijicon accupoint on mine
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 8:48:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I like my 2-7 for the Nort'woods.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:43:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm interested in the 450.  Did you build the upper or buy one complete?  All I have been finding is the complete uppers from Midway USA, haven't had a lot of luck finding parts.  Any on-line places you could point me towards would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:59:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Super excited to have a 450 bushmaster in my possession. I primarily want to use it for deer hunting in Northern Wisconsin in pretty thick brush up to 100 yards. A buddy of mine has a eotech on his thumper and is pleased with it, any other recommendations?
View Quote

I live in northern WI, and have hunted deer here for over 40 yrs. I'm in the Thumper building process myself (completed my lower just last night). But experience hunting the WI cold during deer season has me very skeptical on using anything with batteries. Once I bring a deer rifle outside, it stays outside for the entire season. Bringing it back into a warm environment after it's been in the cold all day, just causes massive "sweating" & condensation. But leaving it outside in the truck overnight, when the temps frequently drop below zero, kills the 2032 batteries in every red-dot I've ever owned, in short order.

You could always just have spare batteries, or take them out and bring them inside at night, but that's just another thing to remember at o'dark-30 am. To stay battery free and avoid all that hassle, I intend to use the same sight set-up on mine as I've been using on a Marlin Guide Gun .45-70 and a Rem742 .308 carbine.... a 2.5X20 shotgun scope. It's worked well on them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I wouldnt leave battery operated optics out in the freeze just because of condensation. they will dry up.
I would be more worried about loosing the nitrogen purge from frozen seals.

Link Posted: 7/5/2014 6:39:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I live in northern WI, and have hunted deer here for over 40 yrs. I'm in the Thumper building process myself (completed my lower just last night). But experience hunting the WI cold during deer season has me very skeptical on using anything with batteries. Once I bring a deer rifle outside, it stays outside for the entire season. Bringing it back into a warm environment after it's been in the cold all day, just causes massive "sweating" & condensation. But leaving it outside in the truck overnight, when the temps frequently drop below zero, kills the 2032 batteries in every red-dot I've ever owned, in short order.

You could always just have spare batteries, or take them out and bring them inside at night, but that's just another thing to remember at o'dark-30 am. To stay battery free and avoid all that hassle, I intend to use the same sight set-up on mine as I've been using on a Marlin Guide Gun .45-70 and a Rem742 .308 carbine.... a 2.5X20 shotgun scope. It's worked well on them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is great advice, especially the hot/cold condensation and battery part. Weather varies from rain & 60s plus to 20 below and everything in-between. I'd also check out the Trijicon Accupoints if they're in your budget. I have one in 3-9 with the triangle reticle & it is very nice in lower light with no batteries to mess with. I do like a bit of magnification up there, as 100 yards when you're at first/last shooting light can be kinda tough with really low magnification, IMO. 40+ years hunting in far NW WI here, as well.

I you do go non-lighted reticle, a straight power will usually have a bit clearer glass. Leupold straight 4x or 6x (Great eye relief) are very well thought of & 6x isn't as much of an issue at closer range as some might believe. Check for good eye relief with whatever you get, as you might have to be in a funky position for a shot, especially from treestands, and I'd imagine your thumper might be kinda brutal if it whacks an eyebrow. Good Luck!

Link Posted: 7/5/2014 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#13]
oops dup post
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm interested in the 450.  Did you build the upper or buy one complete?  All I have been finding is the complete uppers from Midway USA, haven't had a lot of luck finding parts.  Any on-line places you could point me towards would be appreciated.
View Quote

Got the upper at Midway when they offered a 75 off coupon. Have a ddles lower with palemetto lpk and ssa-e gessile for the trigger. Friend of mine hunted with a R-25 in 450 last year and after I shot it I was hooked.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 5:43:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Got the upper at Midway when they offered a 75 off coupon. Have a ddles lower with palemetto lpk and ssa-e gessile for the trigger. Friend of mine hunted with a R-25 in 450 last year and after I shot it I was hooked.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Midway has them on sale ($100 off) right now.... sale ends tomorrow, 7/7. 16" is $550, 20" is $650.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#16]
For starters, the word is spelled S-I-G-H-T.  A site is quite different.

I would get a 2-7x32, possible from Vortex or Leupold, for brush hunting up to 100 yards.  Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top