Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2014 7:14:37 AM EDT
Hey Guys,

I recently purchased a 7MM-08 Savage Axis for deer hunting.

I've only shot it a couple of times, but as expected, there is a considerable amount more muzzle rise than with my AR15.  

Is there any techniques or tribal knowledge anyone might have so that I can gain more control over my rifle?  When i'm zoomed in 9X on my scope the muzzle rise really causes me to become disorientated after I fire and I'm concerned that I won't be able to verify a hit on target when i'm out in the field unless I can get this recoil under control.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:25:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I never even notice it, sure you loose the animal in the scope but it doesn't matter to me. I don't try to watch where I hit, I watch the reaction of the animal. You still have to follow through now, don't take your eyes off the shot until you have taken it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Try keeping both eyes open.  It will be easier to keep an eye on your target.  I've shot larger calibers my whole life and never had a problem with it.  Also, I normally don't shoot on 9x
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:18:12 PM EDT
[#3]
1.Lower the magnification on your scope. Narrow field of view on high magnification worsens the problem.
 2. Mill out the barrel channel and add lead weight to the forend. (Simple physics.)
 3. Alter the pitch at which the butt plate is angled to the line of bore, so recoil forces are vectored to pivot the rifle more appropriately upon firing. (Slightly more complicated physics.)
 4. Install a muzzle brake. (NOT RECOMMENDED-TOO NOISY).  
 5. Shoot a lot. With both eyes open. Situation will improve dramatically.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:14:28 AM EDT
[#4]
its a high powered rifle. rifle blast is expected. a proper stock and hold will allow the rifle to properly distribute the recoil. my boy has been shooting the hell out of his 7mm -08 since he was 9.
a 9lb 7mm-08 has minimal recoil for a high powered rifle.

there should be very few shots on 9x. 4-6x is preferred for hunting shots. field of view will be increased. and like others have said. shoot with both eyes open.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:29:26 PM EDT
[#5]
A 7mm08 simply isn't a 5.56, especially in a light rifle.  It is going to recoil.  Add the relatively narrow field of view of a higher magnification scope, and the muzzle rise will pull the scope and field of view off the target.  It is physics.

Your options are limited.  You can shoot a lower magnification (larger field of view).  Muzzle will still rise, but you can keep the target in view.  No, you won't seem bullet impacts like with a 5.56.  You can dramatically increase rifle weight.  Heavier rifles recoil less, meaning its easier to keep the target in view.   Also, try holding the rifle in tight to the shoulder.  It won't reduce recoil, but can limit rise.

You have one final option:  Try a new stock.  Find one that has very little drop between the axis of the bore and the top comb of the rifle stock.  A relatively straight sock directs recoil straight back more than rotating up. The axis already has a fairly flat stock, decently in line with the bore, so this likely won't help a lot.

You don't verify a hit by seeing bullet impact with a 7mm08.  You verify the hit but seeing the deer drop, jump, or otherwise display some show of being hit.

Fro
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:34:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Simply put, if you are used to shooting .223/556 and that has been your idea of "high power" up until now, you will have to get used to the fact that with most rifles you don't stay directly on target when it recoils. The AR platform is exceptionally light kicking and has minimal muzzle rise compared to traditional "hunting rifles". Getting a 7mm-08 was a wise choice though if you are new to higher power cartridges because it is on the light side of the recoil spectrum in terms of deer rifles. You should dial back your riflescope as it makes it harder to reacquire your target when you are fully magnified, don't over zoom. I would just shoot the rifle more and focus on putting one good shot in the boiler room as opposed to begin worried about fast second shot capability. being able to work the bolt on a rifle quickly is a useful skill, but when deer hunting usually you just shoot once (if you've practiced enough ) Just get used to shooting it and shooting it accurately.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#7]
If you hit a deer with a 7mm-08 you will hear the impact. You will know if you made a hit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:14:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree, it really comes down to getting used to it. One of my favorite rifles to shoot is my 416 Rigby. I tend to stop after about a dozen rounds not because of recoil but because of the cost of the ammo (and I do reload for it).
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:25:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Set your scope down from 9x to 4 or 6x & find some good 120 grain Barnes loads. The wider field of view on a lower power, combined with a bit less recoil than 140 grain loads (Most common in 7-08) will help you see hits somewhat better, but it will never be a .223. Practicing different holds where you're leaning into the stock more will help some as well. Practice A LOT.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I told the boy about this thread. he said " Hold on to it and let rise up where it wants to..."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top