User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:41:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Plus, if you get it in 30-06 you can go hunt pretty much any game you want in North America IMO
View Quote

I bought a Remington 700 in 30-06 thirty years ago so I could hunt pretty much any game I wanted to in North America.  I've shot three deer with it.

Go ahead and get whatever caliber you want.  You can always buy another one when that trip to hunt pretty much any game in North America comes up.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If you want a real budget rifle and like iron sights get a Mosin Nagant.
View Quote

Yes and no :)

Budget, yes
Fun to shoot (more than 10 rds), no

That said, how many times do you shoot more than once or twice in a hunting trip?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had several H&R single shots, while the up front cost isn't bad they take a lot of tinkering to get the most out of them.  While its fun to mess around with them it will throw your budget out the window quickly.

308 Winchester is a fine round and will do anything you want to do starting out hunting.  The Ruger American has caught my eye recently and I will likely have one in my safe before to long.  I picked up a used Savage locally last month for $300 and it had an aftermarket trigger already.

I say watch locally for a used rifle before buying a brand new one.  Might luck into a deal.

Have you thought about a 12 gauge with slugs?  Seems like $150 would get you a single shot slug gun.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:04:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't you have an AR?
They are legal in N.C.and effective.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Budget, yes

That said, how many times do you shoot more than once or twice in a hunting trip?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you want a real budget rifle and like iron sights get a Mosin Nagant.

Budget, yes

I love shooting my M44's.  Recoil is less than a .30-06.  Still can find them for $150-$200, the 91/30's are still around $100-$150.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
On a budget? None of the above.

Pick up a lovingly used (not abused) Marlin 336 in .30-30 Win., a decent inexpensive scope and Leupold Rifleman one piece base and rings. Buy some Hornady LeverEvolution 160 gr. ammo and you're good to go.

With ballistics superior to the "all the rage" AR calibers of 6.5 and 6.8,you'll be set to take deer out to 250 yards or thereabouts . Ur ...umm....More like 350-400 yards( 6.5 G &  SPC II AMMO or roll your own)  for those 2 calibers. Practice ammo in the form of Federal Hi-Shok is inexpensive and everywhere. It's also remarkably accurate and effective to 175 yards. Those flat points hit like a ton of bricks, but also fall off dramatically past that range. Most shots you'll take at deer in NC will be under 200 yards.

You'll cherish the Marlin far more than those plain vanilla budget rifles you have picked out while you laugh all the way to the bank. Trust me, it will become a family heirloom to pass on to your kids. Can you picture your grandchildren getting excited about that H&R?
View Quote

For a budget rifle - The Savage with the accu trigger is very sweet bolt rifle. I have the .17 version. 1 hole cutter. .308 is a fine caliber so is 7mm-08.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 8:06:14 AM EDT
[#7]
As some have mentioned, the Ruger American is one of the very best values out there right now. I see Cabela's has them listed for $299.00. I handled one that a hunting pard bought this year & it feels pretty dang good. He's very happy with it & the trigger was really nice, too.  

Here's the Cabela's link just to give you some info to chew on..

Link Posted: 12/17/2013 8:31:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 9:01:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd really like to see the Remington 783 be a good product. It looks good on paper, but the 710/770 abortions have me a bit gunshy (Pun intended) on their newer models. This is coming from a longtime Rem. 700 ho!
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 8:36:58 PM EDT
[#10]
The Savage Axis and Ruger American are both really good guns in your price range.  My wife has the Mossberg ATR in 243 and it's very accurate.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Second that. Ruger American in 30.06
Picked one up from GunsAmerica for 286 shipped.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 4:07:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Savage Axis for a cheap, reliable bolt gun.  30-06 or 308 and you're good to go.

SAVAGE AXIS 300 yards SUB-MOA

B
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 12:18:01 PM EDT
[#13]
.308 bolt gun will be able to shoot at distance out west if you want to travel for elk or antelope. Little heavy for one, little light for the other but far better option than a 30-30.

I still want one, though.

I have Stevens 200 in .308 and .223. Nothing wrong with them. They shoot straight and are inexpensive. Ruger American and Savage Axis have better triggers.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 9:26:14 AM EDT
[#14]
If I were buying a new budget rifle I'd probably get the Ruger American (.270 is my preference but caliber doesn't really matter that much for most uses). I would tend to look at used stuff myself, a run of the mill Rem 700 or Win 70 can be found for around $400 or less many times. The Howa/Weatherby Vanguard is another that can often be found at good prices. A Marlin lever action is a good choice but prices have jumped recently. I don't care for the H&R/NEF s/s guns unless you get one really cheap ($100), there are just much better options at little or no more cost.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Im assuming since you are on this site you have some type of AR15… I have used 62gr .223 out of my standard Colt 6920 for the past two seasons with 100% success
I grew up hunting with a .243 which is excellent. And have shot 1 or 2 with a .308.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Marlin xl7 is a damn good rifle for,the money
View Quote

stock is garbage, and the bolt a little sloppy...

but yes, with a new stock they make a good rifle for under 400
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#17]
If I had to choose one I would go with .308 or .30-06
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top