Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2012 5:59:04 AM EDT
i ordered the millennium l-110 21ft stand. what would be the best way to put this up by myself if i have too?
Link Posted: 9/4/2012 6:33:51 AM EDT
[#1]
BTDT,  it sucks.

DO NOT do it the way I did it at first.  Fight the stand in position, strap the bottom, climb to the top and precariously try to strap the top.  After I got up there, I thought I was going to die, but being too stubborn to quit I got it locked.  In hindsight, I realize that I could very easily have hurt or killed myself that day.  It was seriously STUPID. DO NOT ATTEMPT IT!  Seriously, just don't.

The second time I did it it still sucked fighting the stand into position on the tree, but much much safer.  I propped the stand up as high as I could from the ground, then I used climbing sticks and a lineman's belt to climb up the back side of the tree and get the stand to final height then lock the top, go back down and lock the bottom.

Either way it is no fun.  But do it as safe as possible. Please learn from my mistake.
Link Posted: 9/4/2012 7:45:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Get the stand assembled on the ground (attach straps) and placed ladder-side-down with the base of the ladder stand 5-6 feet from the chosen tree.
Take a great big heavy rock or log and place it over the bottom end of the stand (on the tree side) to act like a wheel chock.
Begin lifting from the seat portion of the stand and lift over your head while walking towards the base of the tree.
Once the stand is upright you can sink the lower feet into the ground by stomping on the lowest rung.
Cris-cross the straps around the tree and secure them to the stand

Install stand-to-tree brace and tighten straps again if necessary.

Check stand for stability.  If stable, climb and secure the seat to the tree.  If not stable then get a tree climbing harness.
ETA:  I have used this method to put up 18-20ft tree stands and I'm only 5'8.   The big heavy rock/log is key, otherwise the ladder acts like a see-saw with you as the pivot!  

Link Posted: 9/4/2012 8:52:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Best way?  Don't!

Get a friend to help.

I stubbornly did a 22 foot stand by myself.

Ladder snapped, that was last thing I remembered until waking up on the ground around 20 minutes later.

Head covered in blood, needing 5 stitches.

Had to take my shirt off, apply to head and drive home to get medical care.

Never again, will I attempt.

Link Posted: 9/4/2012 9:07:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah , I done a few stands where I thought for sure I was going to snap the ladder part or it was going to come undone at the middle.

The last one i did I attached a rope to the top of the stand before erecting it. I went through the basic set of getting it up in the tree, securing the lower brace, and then pushing the ladder into the ground. However, with the rope now dangling down from the seat I then took that and tied it off on another tree keeping tension on the upper seat. Kind of like the tension wires you see on the TV transmitters and such. I then went up the ladder and was able to attach seat strap and didnt feel like the whole thing was going to shift and then spill out sending me crashing.

I was going to use a pulley/rachet system the next time......but i gots no land to hunt anymore
Link Posted: 9/4/2012 10:40:48 AM EDT
[#5]
By yourself is not fun.Here is how I do it with my 17' Intimidator stand.Assemble sections and top in woods using the provided loop rings that hold ladder sections together.Place stand base  about 4-6ft away from tree,start at top of stand raising hand over hand till top is against tree.Then secure any staps or bars to tree.Once it is in wanted position stand on bottom ladder rung to anchor in ground.Before I climb I attach rope to ladder as high as I can reach on each side of ladder and tie ends to neigboring trees securely.Then test ladder for side to side movement if  ok climb slowly with ratcheting mechanism and anchor around tree as tight as I can.Also attach locking cables.I have done it alone for about 11years.1 year with the Intimidator.My earlier stand was heavier and I outgrew it it was only 12 ft.high.I am 64 1/2 now and will have to get help soon to raise it,and get it in and out of the woods.I am getting too old for that sh** as Danny Glover used to say in the Mel Gibson, Lethal Weapon movies.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 6:40:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't. Unless you buy both life and disability insurance first. It is not worth it.

Yes, I've done it, but I'm not too bright.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I assembled it on the ground, then took a throw rope over the closest branch above where it would land on the trre.
Tie off to thetop part of the stand and haul her up.
Once up leave just enough slack in the pull rope to position it. Secure it.
Set coss straps, braces. climb up once it's stable and finish securing.
Done it that way a few times. Never had a problem, except once when the wife wanted to "help". Keep a cell phone with you just in case.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#8]
there is a system out there for this. Can't remember the name but it has 2 stake pocket that the ladder feet go in and a strap/ winch to go from the tree to the ladder. Pockets hold it in place as you winch it up.

Found it here
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like a great setup.I have to get one!
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 10:02:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Assemble in front of the tree ladder side down.
Tie a rope to the top of the stand and throw the other end over a branch way up high in the tree.
Secure other end of rope to truck/4 wheeler, etc, and pull her on up.

Other than that, use two people.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top