Page:  / 2
Next Page  
Author
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/4/2012 10:29:16 PM

THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT
https://www.climbpaws.com/productcart/pc/climbpaws-default.asp?

These were designed for a tree saddle hunter.
Hugo_Stiglitz
Everyone in the German army has heard of
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/5/2012 9:41:54 AM
Originally Posted By IceDiver:
https://www.climbpaws.com/productcart/pc/climbpaws-default.asp?

These were designed for a tree saddle hunter.

Those are interesting, looks like Schedule 40 or 80 4" PVC with a strap and some camo fur. Ingenious design.
The 2012 election is like being in prison, we can toss Mitt's salad, Get daily buttseksed from Obama, or shank someone and get solitary.
IceDiver
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/5/2012 10:06:36 AM
I was told they were not PVC, but some other plastic. I know the owner very well, and he has spent a ton of time in developing the steps.
I have had lengthy discussions with him regarding the issues facing many tree stand hunters looking for a good tree, vs a good game trail. I have not used the steps yet, but only because I have never used a "saddle" style stand. I may build one like you posted and try them.
Humbarger
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/10/2012 7:50:41 PM
What keeps them from flipping over when you put your weight on them?
Hugo_Stiglitz
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/24/2012 10:33:33 AM
Updated pictures in OP. Sorry it took so long but I didn't get a chance to try the seat out again with a camera available until saturday.
The 2012 election is like being in prison, we can toss Mitt's salad, Get daily buttseksed from Obama, or shank someone and get solitary.
Hugo_Stiglitz
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/25/2012 9:30:56 AM
This method isn't too far from what I'm already doing, it uses a single ladder stick which would cut down on my weight considerably. I'm going to try it this weekend.

Flatulence
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/25/2012 9:59:22 AM
That's pretty slick. I notice he needed that extra strap on the bottom of the stick. Is that so he can gain that extra 17"-20" for every repositioning of the stick?

For me, it would have to be a bit chilly to go through all that and not work up a sweat.

I think I am seeing he is using a Lone Wolf Stick. My set of three only weigh 7.5 lbs and I can hang three of them pretty darn quick w/o going through as much work as the guy in the video did.

I realize I start sweating much sooner than most folks... at least it seams that way at the gym... so you, and others, may not have the same issues I would with this method in warmer temps.
"Some of the greatest dads I've ever seen weren't so much perfect as they were willing to work hard to overcome their failings. Does that make sense?"

Yes. Yes it does.
Hugo_Stiglitz
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/25/2012 10:40:07 AM
I'll sweat like a hog in august at temps above 45. Climbing stand or sticks makes no difference.

The way I prevent it is to move like a sloth. I don't get in any hurry at all to get up the tree. It won't do me any good to get up quick but smell like a sewage treatment plant to everything in the woods.

I don't thing this is really any more work than locking my 4 sticks on. I have steel gorilla sticks, and 4 of them weighs a ton. Going in with just one will save me more sweat walking in than I'll ever generate moving slowly up the tree.

I don't think the extra strap is necessary if you are willing to move slower, plus I have short arms and I doubt I would be able to reach high enough for me to even need the strap.
Flatulence
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/25/2012 6:18:32 PM
Is it possible for you to get a buddy to take pic's of you with bow drawn in the multiple positions that make up the 320* of range with your set up?
"Some of the greatest dads I've ever seen weren't so much perfect as they were willing to work hard to overcome their failings. Does that make sense?"

Yes. Yes it does.
Hugo_Stiglitz
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/25/2012 8:16:59 PM
Maybe. I don't have plans to hunt with anyone this week but I made one for a friend who is coming over soon to learn hpw to set it up.

Will get picks then for sure.
Flatulence
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/26/2012 12:38:53 AM
Thx !

I been hunting quite a bit on a mangaed hunt since the 15th from either my Lone Wolf Fixed or my OpenShot. After this week, I'm gonna get to work on your ideas.

Thanks for the thread !!!!

Yes. Yes it does.
Katman6360
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/28/2012 4:45:50 AM
[Last Edit: 9/30/2012 4:34:12 AM by Katman6360]
This year I'm using a Guido's web and a Lone Wolf hand climber top. Whole set p weighs around 13 lbs. Feels a lot less tho
Katman6360
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/28/2012 4:49:40 AM
[Last Edit: 9/30/2012 4:34:34 AM by Katman6360]
Originally Posted By Katman6360:
This year I'm using a Guido's web and a Lone Wolf hand climber top. Whole set p weighs around 13 lbs. Feels a lot less tho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-4TXDBmn1U
Hugo_Stiglitz
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/1/2012 12:53:15 PM
No more pictures yet, hoping after this rain blows through I can get my friend over to try his out. But I found out the hard way using just ONE ladder with this rig is a bit difficult.

1. It is difficult to get up the tree with only one ladder stick. Taking my time moving methodically, I didn't get too sweaty but it took much longer than I thought it would, made more noise than I care for, and I still got fairly hot moving at a snails pace.

2. As for my plan for getting down, disengaging from the seat and lowering the seat and the ladder down then rappelling, I overlooked a thing or two. It CAN be done, but it is quite difficult to remove the ladder from the tree with one hand holding the rope in a bind. Not what I'd call fun.

Walking in with only one ladder stick was very nice. But the added difficulty and time really don't make it worthwhile. The seat was very comfortable for the 4 hours I hunted Sat morning and 3 hours Sunday afternoon. I do like hunting from that seat, and come hell or high water I'm going to figure out a safe, lightweight way to get up AND down with it.
Flatulence
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/1/2012 4:56:17 PM
I have really liked my Lone Wolf sticks. When I bought them, they were 7.5lbs per three.

Yes. Yes it does.
thirstyswimmer
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/5/2012 4:39:44 PM
You've just given me my next project.

I've been wanting to do something like this for a long time, and my boney butt needs a break from our crappy ladder stands.

I'm looking forward to the pictures.
"Call the tune and let's dance. But beware that the devil is the piper and tab for that soiree will be hell to pay" -- wganz
VEELA
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/9/2012 1:23:08 PM
Does the strap interfere with your Bow draw? Would this setup work with a harness that has the attachment in the back? I would like to try this setup.
What would Chesty do? Proud Member of Team Ranstad
Hugo_Stiglitz
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/9/2012 4:09:17 PM
Originally Posted By VEELA:
Does the strap interfere with your Bow draw? Would this setup work with a harness that has the attachment in the back? I would like to try this setup.

If I tried to shoot with the seat high on my ass it would. When I move to the standing position I slide the seat down so the back of the seat is on the very bottom of my butt and that gets it out of the way.

Still waiting on my friend to come get his seat so I can get pics.
VEELA
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/22/2012 5:02:51 PM
I made one recently and am currently working the kinks out. I think I need to cut down the tongue more. I the seat "slip" on the tree some. I also added a locking chain link to the loop for connection to my carabiner/harness. I think it will work out well.
What would Chesty do? Proud Member of Team Ranstad
Page:  / 2
Next Page