Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2012 9:26:48 AM EDT
I have my venison stored in a friend's deep freezer.  When I move it to my place, I put it in my over-the-fridge freezer until I'm ready to cook it.  Normally that isn't long, but I am wondering how long it's safe to keep it in there.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#1]
is your ground venison in a vac. sealed bags??  I have eating ground venison and Moose that has been vac sealed from a few years ago before..As long as there is no freezer burn.. I have also cut off the brown dried freezer burn and the middle was still ok..Most of my older ground meat ends up going into Jerky ..hope this helps

Mainecoydog
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 10:19:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
is your ground venison in a vac. sealed bags??  I have eating ground venison and Moose that has been vac sealed from a few years ago before..As long as there is no freezer burn.. I have also cut off the brown dried freezer burn and the middle was still ok..Most of my older ground meat ends up going into Jerky ..hope this helps

Mainecoydog

I dont know if its vaccuum sealed or not. It seems to have had the air evacuated from the packages but its secured by tightly twisting the opening and securing with a tie. The meat is 4 months old.  My only concern is how long it stays safe after moving it from deep freeze to reular freezer
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The longest I have kept mine is 1 year. I ground it half and half with pork butt and use it for things like chilie, burgers, meat loaf, taccos, spaghetti sauce, well––just about everything you can use hamburger for. It has always kept fine for me. I seal it in 1 lb. zip lock bags and try to squeeze as much air as I can out of the bags. I usually only take 1 deer a year as thats  enough for me and the wife.  If it will keep longer I don't know. Hope that helps..
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mainecoydog

I dont know if its vaccuum sealed or not. It seems to have had the air evacuated from the packages but its secured by tightly twisting the opening and securing with a tie. The meat is 4 months old.  My only concern is how long it stays safe after moving it from deep freeze to regular freezer

Nope it isn't vacuum sealed. Hard to say.
I'm a vacuum sealer fan. Some of mine is done that way. I still vacuum seal it. Same as above, it will last a year or so. It is also great for bulk buys on low marked down/overstocked meats & such.

Link Posted: 5/1/2012 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Vac sealed... couple years.  Non-sealed is a crap-shoot.
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 5:44:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 10:32:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I have found that if wrapped well in freezer paper and in manual defrost freezer it lasts 12 -18 months.
If  in an auto defrost model 9-12 months, sometimes less before freezer burn gets to nasty
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Not long at my house !!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top