BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By Joenavy85:

Originally Posted By aboveaveragejoe:

Don't laugh at my over-sized dog - it's my first kill. First deer I've gotten a good look at in the field, too.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/318499_10150417684675960_587115959_10072758_767529344_n.jpg

86lb doe, taken at about 100yds with a cheap Stevens .270.

wouldn't laugh even if you missed it. just remember, a bad day hunting is better than a good day at work.
YUP!

Link Posted: 10/15/2011 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By aboveaveragejoe:
Don't laugh at my over-sized dog - it's my first kill. First deer I've gotten a good look at in the field, too.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/318499_10150417684675960_587115959_10072758_767529344_n.jpg

86lb doe, taken at about 100yds with a cheap Stevens .270.

all first deer are good deer.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 10:05:27 PM EDT
[#3]
My first 2 with the new crossbow on the first 2 days of the season

Now its time to get down to business and find Mr. Big
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 7:51:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#4]
First deer ever. Bow shot from the ground about 9 yards.

It's a gut shot because I think I just instinctively shot center of mass.

100 lb dressed spike

Link Posted: 10/18/2011 8:43:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By Mach:

First deer ever. Bow shot from the ground about 9 yards.

It's a gut shot because I think I just instinctively shot center of mass.

100 lb dressed spike
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee259/mach_102/1cf63518.jpg

Congrats! Don't sweat the gut shot. It happens.  I had my first buck quarter towards me at 50 yards last year. I took a shot under/side the throat/neck area and ended up not hitting my mark due to being excited.  I hit high on the shoulder and the bullet went all the way to his abdomen.  His guts came out like confetti.  

Link Posted: 10/18/2011 10:00:01 AM EDT
[#6]
So i'm sitting in my stand when out of nowhere here's this buck standing right in my shotting lane! Very slowly I grabbed my bow, stood up, leaned over the railing of my stand, drew and put my 10 yard pin on his front shoulder. The deer was walking but then stopped for a brief second less than then  yards from my stand. I let the arrow go and immediately knew that I had made a real bad shot. I saw the arrow hit just in front of his hind quarter. The deer jumped and ran for 20 yards then stopped in the thick woods. I grabbed another arrow and drew but never got a second shot. The woods was just too thick. I watched him for 15 minutes as he slowly walked off into the woods. Walking slowly, almost acting like nothing happened. I waited two hours then went looking for him. I found the top half of the arrow 10 yards from where I shot him. Then followed a good blood trail another 100 yards where I found the other end of my arrow with the broad head all messed up. I followed the blood trail for another 200 yards finding spots then pools of blood the whole way. Then about 300 yards from my stand I saw him get up and trot off onto the neighbors property. CRAP! So I backed off and started back for camp to give him some more time. I marked the spot where I jumped him and started back for camp. I was thinking at that point I may never get my buck. When I got back to the house (about a 20 minute walk) I saw the neighbor standing in the driveway. He asked if I had hit a buck and I said yes. He precoded to tell me that the buck ran up the edge of the soy bean field and right up to his barn. The buck laid down in the tall grass and was just hanging out. He grabbed his bow and shot him in the neck. DRT. We drove over and there was my buck! He helped load it onto the 4 wheeler and we chatted for a bit. Found out the coyotes have been chasing his calves and got permission to coyote hunt and made a good friend.  I thanked him and we went on our way.

7pt. Second day of bow season. Shot 9:20AM
My first buck and first deer with a bow.
Been hunting for 16 years! 2nd year hunting this property. What a difference hunting property with a higher population of deer.
18 foot Big Game two man tree stand.
Hoyt turbohawk.
Grimm Reaper broad heads.
Less than a ten yard shot at the deer. I'm not sure what happened to make my shot go so far back. I was aiming at his front shoulder. He was stopped broadside when I shot. I've been practicing all summer long. Shooting 1" groups at ten and twenty yards. 5" groups at 30 yards consistently. Murphy's law I suppose. It happens. Dad thinks I may have locked my left arm out, which with the new bows will make your shot go left. I don't know, it all happened in about 5 seconds. It is what it is. At least I got the deer and he's in the freezer now!

Link Posted: 10/18/2011 1:18:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By PanicBuyer:

...good story...

Panic- Great story, great return!  That's what makes hunting so enjoyable!!!!

Link Posted: 10/18/2011 10:08:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RolandDeschain] [#8]

cross reference to this thread to read the particulars of the story.  

Link

Link Posted: 10/19/2011 12:49:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Mikeyworks:

Originally Posted By PanicBuyer:
...good story...

Panic- Great story, great return!  That's what makes hunting so enjoyable!!!!  

This, and good job staying with your animal and retrieving him.

Link Posted: 10/20/2011 1:17:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunrinwa] [#10]
I wanted to post this Mule Deer shot by my good friend in the Snake River Breaks over the weekend. Foggy and raining conditions, but took a good buck. Nice job Doc Shane.  Rem 700 in 300 Win mag. 200 yards perfect shot. I got tag soup.

Link Posted: 10/21/2011 5:01:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 48down] [#11]
My 12 year old daughter killed these 2 deer last Sunday during Oklahomas Youth Rifle season.  

The buck was about a 120 yard shot and the doe was about 40 yards. She shot the buck and the does didn't know what was going on and hung around a little too long.

My daughter has made several trips to the range with me this summer and practiced on targets past 200 yards. These are her 4th and 5th deer that she has killed over the past 3 years.

The AR is my second AR and my first build. 6.8 SPC Bison 16" barrel, Vtac 11" forearm, Spikes upper receiver, Spikes Bolt carrier, Stag bolt, Spikes lower, spikes enhanced lpk, magpul ctr, pri waffle mag, BCM gunfighter CH, Vortex scope.

Handloaded 120 Gr sst.

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n511/48down/IMG_5004sm.jpg

Link Posted: 10/22/2011 10:15:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By 48down:

My 12 year old daughter killed these 2 deer last Sunday during Oklahomas Youth Rifle season.  

The buck was about a 120 yard shot and the doe was about 40 yards. She shot the buck and the does didn't know what was going on and hung around a little too long.

My daughter has made several trips to the range with me this summer and practiced on targets past 200 yards. These are her 4th and 5th deer that she has killed over the past 3 years.

The AR is my second AR and my first build. 6.8 SPC Bison 16" barrel, Vtac 11" forearm, Spikes upper receiver, Spikes Bolt carrier, Stag bolt, Spikes lower, spikes enhanced lpk, magpul ctr, pri waffle mag, BCM gunfighter CH, Vortex scope.

Handloaded 120 Gr sst.

nice double!

Link Posted: 10/22/2011 10:26:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 48down:

Handloaded 120 Gr sst.

Link Posted: 10/22/2011 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Shot this doe last night. Didn't get a pass through so I waited her out and looked for her this morning. I shot too far forward and hit her shoulder. The Rage broke her shoulder right in two and still went in far enough to take out a lung.

Link Posted: 10/22/2011 11:14:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: garyd] [#16]
14 year old daughters first Deer.

rifle: AR15 Parts gun
Lower- OLY arms PCR 99
Upper numbered flat top from Bravo Company USA
Bolt and carrier - Model 1 sales
JP adjustable gas block
YHM railed free float tube
Lower parts kit- M & A
Stock S&W M&P take off
Scope- NC STAR 3x9
BIS Front YHM
BIS rear Knights 300m
Barrel: Remington 700 .308 pull off barrel, 1-10twist, chamber cut off re-chambered to .300 Blackout, profiled and threaded for barrel extension gas block in carbine position

.300 Blackout
180gr prototype low velocity expander
14.5g  AA1680
Velocity:1475 FPS
Distance: about 20 feet in front of the stand.

You think her grin is big, you should have seen mine.
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 12:29:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m1awolf] [#17]
Spent opening day out with both of the son in laws chasing deer. My son in law who goes by country here, got a whitetail doe early in the day and we didn't see much after that.

We were about ready to call it a day when the landowner told us to follow him as he had to go round up a few stray cows and he said that there was a group of about 30 deer in the area close to them.

When we got there I thought they were all mule deer does and we didn't have tags for them. After watching them for a while we picked out a couple small bucks in the group and decided to try and get a little closer.

We got to within 400 yrds according to my rangefinder and watched them a little longer to see if we wanted to take a shot at any of them. That's when Paul spotted the nice buck in the group.

Neither of them wanted to try a long shot so I gave it a try. I ranged them again and confirmed 400 yrds with a holdover of 19". This is when he decided to lie down giving me a perfect broadside, I took the shot and he never got up again.

Rem 700 .300 Win Mag 150gr federal vital shocks.

Crappy cell phone and cheap camera pic's,

Link Posted: 10/23/2011 2:53:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: New4John] [#18]
Shot a doe last evening on Ga's opening weekend of gun season.
This morning was this fella's turn.

Link Posted: 10/24/2011 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#19]
First one for 2011.  Shot it with a Remington 700 in .270 with 130 Winchester Ballistic Silvertip.  Not a huge rack but I got plenty of meat out of him.

Link Posted: 10/25/2011 2:07:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Jdawg_Valdez:
First one for 2011.  Shot it with a Remington 700 in .270 with 130 Winchester Ballistic Silvertip.  Not a huge rack but I got plenty of meat out of him.

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n497/bubbadx78/2011-10-20_19-12-54_877.jpg

Was that killed in WV ?
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 4:19:11 PM EDT
[#21]
My hunting partners opening week 10 point

Link Posted: 10/25/2011 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By jharp:

Was that killed in WV ?

NC.  I put WV down as my location just because.

Link Posted: 10/25/2011 4:58:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 10:12:06 PM EDT
[#24]
just got back from my hunt in Pecos, NM

didnt shoot a monster, but im happy! Iv shot a few elk and an antelope but this is my first Deer

used a 25 wssm with berger 115 vld

camp

and one of my hunting buddies that until this picture, i didnt realize how much he looks like marcus luttrell

Link Posted: 10/27/2011 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By jharp:

Was that killed in WV ?

NC.  I put WV down as my location just because.

Ok, good.....i was hoping someone wasn't dumb enough to post a deer they shot in WV on a online forum when there hasn't been any rifle season here yet.

Link Posted: 10/29/2011 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#26]

Buck my son shot on Friday morning from his grandfather's stand. We have 2 stands 10 yards apart in there, he was in one, me in the other. At 8:15 we heard animals coming in from behind us, and they veered off to his side, it was this buck hounding a doe. Spine shot with a Marlin 336 .30-30

Link Posted: 10/29/2011 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By M4Madness:
http://www.hunt101.com/data/504/October_29_2011_Doe_Resize.jpg

Took this big ol' doe this morning. This is a smart doe, and I really wanted to take her out of the herd. She came in on me on the morning of October 8, along with a button buck and a decent-sized doe. She was in the rear, and got nervous as they neared the tree I was in. She got all spooky, so I shot the lead doe that morning at 9:21 AM.

Fast forward to this morning. Same big matriarch doe and button buck come ambling down the trail at almost the same time as before. Again, she is in the rear and hesitated when almost to my tree. She looked right up at me and stared. I was on the opposite side of the tree as she was, and every time I peeked around it, she was staring at me. I watched her breath fog the air, as she stared nervously. Finally, she turned around and stared quartering away back down the trail she came in on. I started to draw, but stopped short when she looked back over her shoulder. After a brief moment, she turned 90 degrees to her right and stood broadside.

By this time, she was a shade over 30 yards, and my adjustable sight was set on 20 yards. I held high on the vitals and watched the arrow arc right into the center of the lungs at 9:41 AM. She won't be teaching any more deer to look up at that tree.

That is one big doe! What did she weigh in at?

Link Posted: 10/29/2011 6:56:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#29]
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 7:18:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brykelly] [#30]
place holder and M4 you've got some big deer!
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 10:39:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hoodooman] [#31]

Muzzleloading on Saturday;
The shot was offhand, at a little over a hundred yards. He was pacing back & forth through some trees & cover, and I took a quartering towards shot - the 240gr XTP hit the left shoulder, went through both lungs & the top of heart, then broke a couple ribs on it's way out the other side. He spun around (almost end over end), & I lost sight of him in the cover. It didn't look like he really went anywhere based on blood pattern on the ground - just spun & piled up against a little tree.

This was right around 3PM, my son & I walked out to a spot that a couple buddies had seen some decent deer at earlier in the week, but they hadn't managed to get a good shot off at any. We got to the tree where they had piled up some limbs as a ground blind & hadn't even sat down yet when 2 deer flushed out around 120 yards below us. I thought they were both does at first, and we spread out to try & get shots before they ran back up into a thicket. I was making little bleat calls trying to get them to stop & look, and manged to line up a shot on the buck (very nice 7pt - he's missing an ear guard, or he'd have been a nice 8pt.)

My son did get lined up for an offhand shot on what looked like a nice doe - probably 60 yards out. But his rifle mis-fired, and she made it to cover before he could change the cap, or I could finish reloading. It was a bad 209 primer. It was his first muzzleloader hunt - but I hope to get him on another deer next Saturday during the youth gun hunt.

Hunting on public land - Quachita Natl Forest / Winona WMA.

Edit - if he looks a little 'thin' in that pic, well I had already field dressed him before toting him out. The coyotes gotta eat too...
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 10:45:09 AM EDT
[#32]
http://www.hunt101.com/data/504/October_29_2011_Doe_Resize.jpg

Took this big ol' doe this morning. This is a smart doe, and I really wanted to take her out of the herd. She came in on me on the morning of October 8, along with a button buck and a decent-sized doe. She was in the rear, and got nervous as they neared the tree I was in. She got all spooky, so I shot the lead doe that morning at 9:21 AM.

Fast forward to this morning. Same big matriarch doe and button buck come ambling down the trail at almost the same time as before. Again, she is in the rear and hesitated when almost to my tree. She looked right up at me and stared. I was on the opposite side of the tree as she was, and every time I peeked around it, she was staring at me. I watched her breath fog the air, as she stared nervously. Finally, she turned around and stared quartering away back down the trail she came in on. I started to draw, but stopped short when she looked back over her shoulder. After a brief moment, she turned 90 degrees to her right and stood broadside.

By this time, she was a shade over 30 yards, and my adjustable sight was set on 20 yards. I held high on the vitals and watched the arrow arc right into the center of the lungs at 9:41 AM. She won't be teaching any more deer to look up at that tree.

Good job! I hate those crafty ole momma deer that bust you, even when you're 15ft up in a climbing stand...
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 2:26:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m1garand__man] [#33]
So this is what a Winchester M70 in 300 H&H can do to Montana white tail deer.

The first one is a button buck that I shot at 207 yards in Stanford, MT opening day Oct 22nd It wasn’t the best shot I ever took. It was from the kneeling position off primos trigger sticks with my adrenalin pumping. I inadvertently got a spine shot so the head wound you see is from my S&W 686 where I had to put him down.  

The second is a mature whitetail doe shot on Oct 31st outside Great Falls, MT at 314 yards.

The third is a whitetail buck shot at 344 yards also shot Oct 31st outside Great Falls MT at 344 Yards. This is the first time I ever downed two deer at one time

I got the exact range on all these thanks to the Burris Eliminator scope I used on this rifle.

I have one more white tail doe tag to fill so I'll post pics of that when I get it.

Link Posted: 11/2/2011 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By m1garand__man:

The first one is a button buck that I shot at 207 yards in Stanford, MT opening day Oct 22nd It wasn’t the best shot I ever took. It was from the kneeling position off primos trigger sticks with my adrenalin pumping. I inadvertently got a spine shot so the head wound you see is from my S&W 686 where I had to put him down.  

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f113/m1garand_man/deer%20hunting/whitetailbuttonbuckStanfordMTOct22201102.jpg

The second is a mature whitetail doe shot on Oct 31st outside Great Falls, MT at 314 yards.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f113/m1garand_man/deer%20hunting/whitetaildoeGreatFallsMTOct31201101.jpg

The third is a whitetail buck shot at 344 yards also shot Oct 31st outside Great Falls MT at 344 Yards. This is the first time I ever downed two deer at one time

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f113/m1garand_man/deer%20hunting/whitetailbuckGreatFallsMTOct31201103.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f113/m1garand_man/deer%20hunting/whitetailbuckGreatFallsMTOct31201101.jpg

I got the exact range on all these thanks to the Burris Eliminator scope I used on this rifle.

I have one more white tail doe tag to fill so I'll post pics of that when I get it.

Your just a killin machine aren't ya. BTW how is it you could take two bucks or does the button buck count as a doe ?
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By m1awolf:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f113/m1garand_man/deer%20hunting/whitetailbuttonbuckStanfordMTOct22201102.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f113/m1garand_man/deer%20hunting/whitetaildoeGreatFallsMTOct31201101.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f113/m1garand_man/deer%20hunting/whitetailbuckGreatFallsMTOct31201103.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f113/m1garand_man/deer%20hunting/whitetailbuckGreatFallsMTOct31201101.jpg

Your just a killin machine aren't ya. BTW how is it you could take two bucks or does the button buck count as a doe ?

His states laws are probably like Wisconsin, you have Bucks and antlerless (under 3" antlers)
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 10:11:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By m1awolf:

Thanks. to answer your question The button buck counts as an antlerless deer. The game warden who checked my tags confirmed it even though I already knew before he came up to where I was at. Here it is right out of the montana hunting reg. "Antlerless buck: A deer without antlers, or with antlers less than 4 inches long as measured from the top of the skull."

Hope that helps.

And yes it is similar to wisconsin. In fact the year I hunted there I used my antlerless tag on a white tail button buck too.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#37]
4 inch antlers count as Anterless?  In KS it is "any visible antler protruding from the skull".  Button bucks are "antlerless" but a 1 inch spike requires a buck tag.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 12:47:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By HAGDADDY:
4 inch antlers count as Anterless?  In KS it is "any visible antler protruding from the skull".  Button bucks are "antlerless" but a 1 inch spike requires a buck tag.

Same in CT. "Any visible antler" is the rule here.

I found out the hard way last year. Shot what I thought was a medium doe, turned out to be a big button. His buttons were just not visible from the tree. I had to use a buck tag and felt bad I may have killed a future monster.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Illinois, antlers 3" or less can be counted as antlerless.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#40]

My first time deer hunting and this is what I got.  5 point buck, shot from about 50 yards with a 165gr Core-lokt 30-06.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By castiel:
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/4766/deerk.jpg

My first time deer hunting and this is what I got.  5 point buck, shot from about 50 yards with a 165gr Core-lokt 30-06.

Does that mean you are now hooked on deer hunting for life? Congratulations!

Pretty much.  I used to hunt with my dad when I was a kid and this was my first time going with my own gun and license.  I got drawn for an elk hunt at the end of this month and I'm looking forward to that too.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 10:29:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buckfever34] [#43]
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 2:50:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By PGAEMU:
Originally Posted By HAGDADDY:

Same in CT. "Any visible antler" is the rule here.

I found out the hard way last year. Shot what I thought was a medium doe, turned out to be a big button. His buttons were just not visible from the tree. I had to use a buck tag and felt bad I may have killed a future monster.

Well when I lived in WA (mind you I never did hunt there) You cant even shoot a buck with visible antlers in certain districts unless it has 2 points on one side at least a certain size and some districts require three on one side. This also makes for some confusing discriptions of deer because you will hear people talk about two point deer or three point deer and they are only talking about one side not both like in most states where a two point would be a spike and a three point would be retarded lol.
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 7:40:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Intelguy01] [#45]
I had sat down for a total of 12 minutes when this guy trots out of the woods coming straight to me. (I had just grunted). I do believe he was going to whip my butt. I dropped him at 18 to 20 feet with a shot just below his jaw. Marlin 336cs 30/30 loaded with 150gr Core-Lokt.

Link Posted: 11/8/2011 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#46]

135lb Doe Nov 8 , 2011 by J563
Do to all the wet snow we had last week up here that snapped trees throughout my hunting area, I hauled my stand to a new area that I never hunted before this past Sunday. Left work early today as it was last day of muzzle loader season and this nice girl cruised on in at 30yds from my stand so I sent her up.  She went about 20yds before expiring, nice clean kill. Happy I passed on two smaller doe last week.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 9:45:27 PM EDT
[#47]
one of mine, and my Wife's first deer, both killed with .223, and yes she blooded her cheeks

Link Posted: 11/9/2011 5:16:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 11:20:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: J75player] [#49]
DPMS REPR in .260rem, handloaded 140gr Berger VLD.
285yards, 20mph half value wind.
not a step

sister in law got a monster!

Link Posted: 11/10/2011 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top