Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/19/2011 9:18:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4HShooter]
Im going to start out this thread with my Summit Viper SD that I bought at Bass Pro for 259.99.

Here is how it should look when you're going to or from your hunting spot

When you strap it to an appropriate tree overlooking a deer trail, food plot, or what have you, it should look like this

Most if not all climbing treestands that Summit makes has the quick cable connect system so you dont have to worry about losing your pins that hold the cable to the tree

The system has a piece of metal that acts like a spring so the cable cannot slide out when you move around in your stand

The climbing stirrups and bungee cord are very easy to learn with if you are new to climbers. They have a strong hold on your feet, you'll know they wont slide out while climbing

What your feet should look like while climbing

When you get to a comfortable height, wrap your alligator strap around the tree and seat portion f your stand and strap it down. So when you stand the top wont fall down

the seat is the best part about the stand, you can sit all day in a Summit stand and will not be sore like some other stands I've had before (Gorilla brand )

PROS: No pins for the cables

The seat is super soft like a Lazy Boy

Climbing stirrups are easy to manipulate

CONS: Price, its a little high, but its worth it
If you have a blind or a knife that you use everytime you hunt, tell us about it so we can help new and experienced hunters get better safer gear. Any gear you use is welcome here (camo, ammo, boots, gloves, scent blocker, etc..)  

Link Posted: 7/19/2011 11:08:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I got one of those for free and used it last year for the first time. It was great. Awesome piece of gear.
Link Posted: 7/23/2011 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#2]
you should have a cord or rope to keep the bottom half from falling away from the top half while you are on a tree.

just a thought

Link Posted: 7/24/2011 5:44:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By VirginiaM4:
you should have a cord or rope to keep the bottom half from falling away from the top half while you are on a tree.

just a thought

That green and white string tied to the bottom is what I use
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:19:33 AM EDT
[#4]
For cold weather I like Cabela's Dry Plus insulated jacket and bib overalls. The stuff has kept me warm and toasty through moose, elk and deer hunting. Not cheap, but it's worth the price in nasty weather.
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 15jonshoot:
For cold weather I like Cabela's Dry Plus insulated jacket and bib overalls. The stuff has kept me warm and toasty through moose, elk and deer hunting. Not cheap, but it's worth the price in nasty weather.

I used the Cabela's Dry Plus uninsulated this season, fantastic at keeping me dry.

You guys might have seen me suggesting Danner Pronghorn GTX hunting boots in all the threads asking about boots lately.  Well, this season was my first use in all day lots of miles type situation.

We were up and moving before sunrise stalking all day long through bad brush and giant slash cuts of timber.  Always getting back to camp well after dark.  Never once did my feet get tired, too hot, too cold, or most importantly wet.  It snowed, it hailed, it got muddy, it got dry again.  Nothing fazed these boots or my feet.

If you are looking for arguably the best boots you can get, these are well worth $165.

Link Posted: 10/20/2011 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I have all 3 of the items discussed in this thread.  I haven't used the Summit yet but I'm looking forward to trying it out.   The Cabelas coat and bibs work great for hunting when its cold and so do the Danners.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 8:00:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DOW] [#7]
I'd like to plug Cabela's Whitetail Extreme parka and bibs. Very expensive (I think the set cost me over $600 a few years back) but they're very, very warm. And waterproof.

If you're thinking about picking up a set but are worried about spending so much go ahead and pull the trigger, they're worth every cent.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I put a good word in for Cabelas MT050 line as well. I've been using the coveralls for 4 years now and they have kept me warm and dry and I've been in both extremes with these coveralls.

One constant theme you seem to read on the boards is Cabelas clothing and Danner boots.
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I buy the cheapest shit I can find at wal-mart, never use calls, scents, trail cams, iphone apps, scent locker clothes, sattelite photos, google earth, or prayer, and still manage to kill a deer or two every year.

I have good rain gear, but if it is raining I don't hunt.
Link Posted: 4/14/2012 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By CletusRoundbelly:
I buy the cheapest shit I can find at wal-mart, never use calls, scents, trail cams, iphone apps, scent locker clothes, sattelite photos, google earth, or prayer, and still manage to kill a deer or two every year.

My hunting buddy, departed now several years, always used what we had. Here he is at 105 in the field deer hunting:

If that picture ticks you off, he was 105 and died a few months later at 106. He always made do with what he had and did well.
And he never had much.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey 4H, I had a couple questions about the viper stand.  I've been looking for stands and I keep coming back to this one.  I've heard great things about Lone Wolf stands but they're out of my price range.  Even the viper is pushing my ceiling, I originally didn't want to spend that much for a stand.

How much room do you have on the base to stand and pivot?  Basically, would it still be effective to stand and bow hunt with?

How comfortable/easy is it to carry?  One of the knocks I've read about this stand is that it's a bit bulky and the straps aren't very user friendly if you're hiking this thing anywhere?  I'll be having to use public land the next few years so I'll be humping my stand out every time I go.

Overall, do you or others here think that the viper is worth the buy?
Link Posted: 9/19/2012 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By danc46:

My hunting buddy, departed now several years, always used what we had. Here he is at 105 in the field deer hunting:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22/danc46/IMG_0004-4.jpg

If that picture ticks you off, he was 105 and died a few months later at 106. He always made do with what he had and did well.
And he never had much.

That's awesome...

I hope I can kick it till that age...
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:08:40 AM EDT
[#13]
All my hunting clothing has come CTD.  I use German Surplus Flectarn.   My weapons are also Military surplus or type.  Nothing special.   If it’s raining I just stay home or say in my covered and heated stand.
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 9:22:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By medicine_man:
Hey 4H, I had a couple questions about the viper stand.  I've been looking for stands and I keep coming back to this one.  I've heard great things about Lone Wolf stands but they're out of my price range.  Even the viper is pushing my ceiling, I originally didn't want to spend that much for a stand.

How much room do you have on the base to stand and pivot?  Basically, would it still be effective to stand and bow hunt with?

How comfortable/easy is it to carry?  One of the knocks I've read about this stand is that it's a bit bulky and the straps aren't very user friendly if you're hiking this thing anywhere?  I'll be having to use public land the next few years so I'll be humping my stand out every time I go.

Overall, do you or others here think that the viper is worth the buy?

I have never climbed with the viper, but I've carried it and it is lighter than most its size. My dad liked it so much he bought a second, which is why I have carried one, but never climbed one.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Deer stands like that are useless in Nevada.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 12:23:20 AM EDT
[#16]
I like Carhartts, warm as hell, pretty weather resistant- (I use the artic extreme or w/e- nylon not canvas) but they are heavy. I usually just use my old army boots, either the gortex or the summer wt depending on conditions. I rifle hunt in an area with practically no trees.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:59:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4HShooter] [#17]
Double tap

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:00:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Man I forgot I even made this thread...

Medicine man, if your still looking at getting a stand, this one is it! I used it just about everyday this past season and looked forward to sitting in it until I could get a nice buck.

For bow hunting, it definitely is perfect. Just sit the two pieces a little bit closer together so you can stand higher than normally.

And make sure to get the footrest portion that bolts on to the lower platform, that was my only con with this stand.

Lets keep this thread going guys!

Link Posted: 6/2/2013 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#19]
if you want a boot to last the ages try Georgia's. Ive wore my loggers up and down hundreds of hills and mountins. heavy... yes. but they keep you warm and dry. and they age like a filson fly vest
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 1:46:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 4HShooter:
Im going to start out this thread with my Summit Viper SD that I bought at Bass Pro for 259.99.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z391/daltonstatzer/100_0144.jpg

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z391/daltonstatzer/100_0136.jpg
When you strap it to an appropriate tree overlooking a deer trail, food plot, or what have you, it should look like this

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z391/daltonstatzer/100_0137.jpg
Most if not all climbing treestands that Summit makes has the quick cable connect system so you dont have to worry about losing your pins that hold the cable to the tree

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z391/daltonstatzer/100_0138.jpg
The system has a piece of metal that acts like a spring so the cable cannot slide out when you move around in your stand

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z391/daltonstatzer/100_0139.jpg
The climbing stirrups and bungee cord are very easy to learn with if you are new to climbers. They have a strong hold on your feet, you'll know they wont slide out while climbing

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z391/daltonstatzer/100_0140.jpg

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z391/daltonstatzer/100_0142.jpg
When you get to a comfortable height, wrap your alligator strap around the tree and seat portion f your stand and strap it down. So when you stand the top wont fall down

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z391/daltonstatzer/100_0141.jpg
the seat is the best part about the stand, you can sit all day in a Summit stand and will not be sore like some other stands I've had before (Gorilla brand )

If you have a blind or a knife that you use everytime you hunt, tell us about it so we can help new and experienced hunters get better safer gear. Any gear you use is welcome here (camo, ammo, boots, gloves, scent blocker, etc..)  

Just wondering as I have only used latter stands.....and I want to help keep this thread going How the hell do you use that on a tree that has branches? My guess is you can't, right?
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#21]
What about range finders for archery.? Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 6:29:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Would like input from folks about what they like in Rangefinders and Binos...I started a thread on rangefinders, and got some good replies

but only about Liecas and Vortex. I'm just starting out hunting and looking to get some decent binos as well. Don't have a huge budget, maybe

$600 for the binos. Vortex 10X42 HD Viper looks good right now...Suggestions?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By insidetheten:
Would like input from folks about what they like in Rangefinders and Binos...I started a thread on rangefinders, and got some good replies

but only about Liecas and Vortex. I'm just starting out hunting and looking to get some decent binos as well. Don't have a huge budget, maybe

View Quote

yikes thats alot of money for binos
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By donnieR32:
Just wondering as I have only used latter stands.....and I want to help keep this thread going How the hell do you use that on a tree that has branches? My guess is you can't, right?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By donnieR32:

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z391/daltonstatzer/100_0144.jpg

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z391/daltonstatzer/100_0136.jpg

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z391/daltonstatzer/100_0137.jpg

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z391/daltonstatzer/100_0138.jpg

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z391/daltonstatzer/100_0139.jpg

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z391/daltonstatzer/100_0140.jpg

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z391/daltonstatzer/100_0141.jpg

No go on any tree with branches that you cant cut. unless you wanna get on the wild side and detach then reattach once over the limb

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 12:40:58 PM EDT
[#25]
No go on any tree with branches that you cant cut. unless you wanna get on the wild side and detach then reattach once over the limb

View Quote

Don't do that, hahaha
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By thormx538:
Don't do that, hahaha
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thormx538:

Don't do that, hahaha
Hahaha yeah its super dangerous, but im not gonna lie, ive done it a few times on public land as it was a good spot or whatever

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Oh man. I guess if it was low to the ground its one thing, but once you're airborne that's sketchy. I could see the upper being easy, but the foot platform must be tough. Those Summit cables aren't necessarily the easiest things to manipulate.

Who am I to talk though, I did have my buddy hand me a big rock at like 8', and proceed to climb to like 14' to use it to smash off a branch on the back side of the tree that I used often and kept getting snagged on. I was wearing a harness that time! Haha.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the review. What's funny is, I have the same stand but still learned a lot! I didn't know how to nest them for transport, using the alligator strap for retention. I also didn't know how to utilize the bungee with the foot stirrups. And I also learned that I should attach the top and bottom half so the bottom never cn drop away from me. Stand sounds a lot safer now haha, and to think all these years I've just been shimmying up the tree and sitting down.

Also the seat is amazingly comfortable! Only time I leave stand early is because I'm cold
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 9:59:16 PM EDT
[#29]
this will be my first season officially hunting, I've kinda gone before, but not seriously.

upon scouting some locations around my property I came across this.  I called my dad to make sure he hadn't granted permission to anyone and he hadn't......

it was on the edge of our property near a highway where anyone could access the property, so we assume someone was hoping they wouldn't get spotted. no trails in the area, it was really a terrible spot but it was close to a creek and a corn field, so someone *thought* it was a good spot.  So i repurposed it to a much better spot further in the property with good visibility and lots of signs of movement.  

hopefully I make something happen
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 12:08:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By TurboSam:
this will be my first season officially hunting, I've kinda gone before, but not seriously.

upon scouting some locations around my property I came across this.  I called my dad to make sure he hadn't granted permission to anyone and he hadn't......

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk154/turbosamZ/Mobile%20Uploads/20131110_104607_zpsaf59861c.jpg

it was on the edge of our property near a highway where anyone could access the property, so we assume someone was hoping they wouldn't get spotted. no trails in the area, it was really a terrible spot but it was close to a creek and a corn field, so someone *thought* it was a good spot.  So i repurposed it to a much better spot further in the property with good visibility and lots of signs of movement.  

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk154/turbosamZ/Mobile%20Uploads/20131116_170953_zps2d90af91.jpg

hopefully I make something happen
View Quote

Post signs on your property and fence lines too. Maybe some signs that say " smile, your on camera "
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 8:28:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By insidetheten:

View Quote

I have them and they are very good.  They are light, small and beat out my old Nikon Monarch 10x40's.  I paid $450.  They have locking diopeter and adjustable eye cups.  The only dislike i have is the focus wheel can be a little touchy.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 12:15:50 AM EDT
[#32]
I don’t care much tree stands, not enough room to move around in.   So I like my box stands.   This one is what I made from a kids play set.   I got it from some people that lived down the road from me.   The kids weren’t using it anymore.   So I offered them a hundred bucks for it and they took it.   To start off 20 feet tall by 6 foot by 6 foot square.   Then I just added to it.    Closed in the top section to get in out of the weather and such.

Wolf
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:54:06 AM EDT
[#33]
For bino recommendation I picked up a pair of Minox 10 x 42 and
I am very happy with them.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:37:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LeadOnTarget] [#34]
Riverswest clothing is amazing. I have a pair of bibs, light, extremely waterproof and tough, very warm, quiet and a bit stretchy. I wont buy anything else for cold weather hunting anymore.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 11:44:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Well this will be my first year hunting, im a little nervous about it(mainly about what to do if I catch one). I never went as a kid cause my dad was almost shot. So I'm looking into gear recently and there is so many different items how do you choose what is really needed. I understand a good knife, and warm clothing and safety items.  but do I really need the tree stands, calls, scent blocker clothing. There's probably other things I'm missing
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:31:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By drok556:
Well this will be my first year hunting, im a little nervous about it(mainly about what to do if I catch one). I never went as a kid cause my dad was almost shot. So I'm looking into gear recently and there is so many different items how do you choose what is really needed. I understand a good knife, and warm clothing and safety items.  but do I really need the tree stands, calls, scent blocker clothing. There's probably other things I'm missing
View Quote

Same boat here but I missed my chance for this year. I will just have to figure out what I "really" need and get ready way before and save some vacation days at work
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:50:42 AM EDT
[#37]
I'll preface this by saying that my ol' man is a first generation American, so we had no tradition of firearms ownership or hunting in our family, even though my mother's side did (they had been here longer).  I have been shooting and training now for a decade or so (other than .22s in Boy Scouts) and when I started hunting this year, I actually found I needed very little to get started.  I'll try to walk through the gear I used, how I augmented my selections, and what I feel are my "next steps" moving forward.  I ground hunt because the land to which I have access is mostly cedar swamp and marshland with small pockets of trees that would support a stand, and since it is public land those areas are often "staked out" regardless of the legality of leaving stands in the woods overnight.  Oh, well.

For clothing, layering is king just like with any other outdoors activity in cooler weather.  I used to camp outdoors in sub zero temperatures for days at a time so this wasn't a stretch for me. As you layer, overlap from the top down like shingles or flashing on a house for your outer layer, but your base layers need to be tucked in to keep the wind out.  Every little bit helps keep heat in and moisture out.  Try to stay away from cotton and stick to wool and synthetics.

1) Polypropylene base layer, including sock and glove liners, and a balaclava if it is single digits (*F) or lower.  This wicks the moisture away from your skin and lessens the impact of getting sweaty and then stopping to post up somewhere.
2) Wool Socks. Don't skimp here.
3) Thermal Base layer (pants and shirt).  Anything but cotton.  I like Merino wool, and I rock 1/4 zip stuff with mandarin collars.
4) Fleece Lined Pants if it is going to be less than 10*F otherwise just make sure they aren't constrictive.  Suspenders are better than belts for circulation, but belts are necessary to hang your pistol anyways, so...
5) Wool Sweater.  Again, I run 1/4 zip with a collar.
6) This is your rain gear - I run softshell unless it is going to be raining pretty hard, then I run hardshells with taped seams and no outer pockets.  I run a hood with hardsheels, or just a shemagh will keep light mist or drizzle out of a softshell and be lower profile.  Keep the water out, and let the vapors breathe as possible.
7) Hat - I run a polartec unit that is toasty, blocks wind, and sheds water.  Also has a 'Dillo on it so there's that...
8) High Visibility layer (this goes over your rain gear unless your rain gear is also high-vis; for me I already had everything but in subdued colors, so I wanted to comply with the regs and be safe without buying the high quality outerwear in a different color).  I run a 1/4 zip blaze orange and a blaze orange skully over my normal hat.  If I need to hear better I pull the hats up on my right side (I'm pretty much deaf on my left side).  I spent $45 instead of closer to $1K if I had bought all new soft/hard shell outerwear.
9) Gloves - I run SKD PIG alpha touch gloves if it will be over 20*F and I run Mechanix gloves with poly propylene liners if it will be colder than that.  I keep mittens on my person if it is colder than 10*F but I'll get to what I prefer to use instead later...
10) Boots - here I discovered that for moving around in the cold my normal Merrell shoes weren't enough when I'd stop to post up and I needed something with insulation.  My Sorels were way to heavy and hot for moving, but cozy for sitting still.  I found a pair of Merrell boots with 600g insulation that are a perfect balance, and very quiet with good feel (I can tell what I'm stepping on).

Okay, so basically I spent $120 for new boots, and $45 for a shirt and hat and I had all the clothing I needed for hunting.

Next, Load Carriage.  I'm just a scientist, but I run HSLD whenever possible.  In other industries we call it lean.  Whatever, I don't want shit I don't need, I want everything I do need where I need it, and I want to be able to move around without any of it being a hindrance.

1) Belt - I run a Wilderness Instructor belt; this is my normal EDC belt.  I run my EDC pistol (M&P9 and one spare mag) on it AIWB.
2) Dump pouch - I run an Eagle dump pouch of some sort that snaps over my belt.  Yes, this means my rain gear tucks below it but it hasn't been an issue.
3) Chest Rig - I run an SKD PIG UCR.  This is the best $100 you can spend on a chest rig IMHO, and is at home hunting as it is at a carbine class or...  I can carry a flashlight, batteries, TQ, trauma dressing and shears, chemlights, gloves for field dressing, knife sharpener, comms equipment (cell phone and ear piece/mic) GPS (DeLorme PN-40), Binoculars (Nikon A30 which replace some POS units I had that finally broke in the field my first day out), fire starting equipment, spare batteries, water, multitool, and hang my back tag off the H-Harness.  It also interfaces with...
4) Kifaru Handwarmer Muff.  This thing solved a huge problem for me.  This allows me to run thinner gloves and keep my hands toasty warm.  The only problem is still hunting on really cold days where I'll have to let my carbine "safe and hang" and stick my hands in here to warm up a bit.  Cold aluminum just fucks with your ability to keep your hands warm.  I bet a wood stock isn't nearly as bad for this but then again guns with wood on them aren't very badass...
5) I use a carabiner to hang a little $2 stadium seat pad off my belt next to my dump pouch.  It is closed cell foam so it is pretty comfy and cozy warm for sitting on the ground, a rock, a stump, whatever.
6) I hang a camera tripod with small shooting rest off the back of my chest rig.  It doesn't move around or get caught up on anything but I am thinking of adding shock chord to make it even more stable.

All I had to buy there were the binos, the foam pad, and the handwarmer muff.  Don't skimp here - I'd rather have a mini RDS and good binos than shitty binos and a high end magnified optic.  I think I spent $60 on these (on sale) and the next step up in the same size were Steiners for around $120 IIRC.  Take those Cabelas handwarmers and throw them in the fucking trash.  The Kifaru was only $40 and it is actually waterproof unlike those fleece abominations from the big box store.  It also is made to interface with several pieces of gear I own including a Hill People Gear runner's kit bag I use for running and hiking, and I use it as a first aid kit in my vehicle while hunting (everything but the trauma stuff goes in there, the trauma stuff in on my person).

Other Considerations:
1) I try to keep water and food inside at least one insulating layer, but the water especially can be difficult to figure out, and anything that is under layers is going to be noisy to get to.  I keep a granola bar somewhere easy to access and my water (BTW use an electrolyte replacement like Camelbak Elixir) gets carried in the chest rig until I stop to post up and then it goes in my pants to stay warm.

What?

2) Get yourself a decent sling.  I run a two point tac sling; I wear it in standard configuration when walking before or after hours, but if I can shoot, I wear it necklace-style so I'm ready to fucking kill something at any time.
3) Yeah, your gun and caliber is probably fine.  I'm running my 300BLK SBR and YHM can, with a mini RDS for moving and swapping on a 2-7X scope when I've got any kind of field of view.  This was cumbersome and I've got a 1-4X on the way to solve the problem.  I would hunt whitetail with 5.56/.223 without hesitation.  We've all read the ballistics information.  Pick a good loading and you'll kill what you hit if you don't fuck it up.  Lighter is better, IMHO.
4) Scent - well, just wash your clothes in a UV brightener and perfume free detergent (we use one made for sensitive skin I think it is Tide brand).  You cannot hide your scent from a deer.  Period.  Full fucking stop.  If you are upwind they can smell you.  Trying to cover it up has been shown through scientific testing to be more effective than trying to eliminate your scent, so your best bet is to be downwind of your quarry, and hunt into the prevailing winds.
5) Camo - Movement is more important than anything, and blending your shape into the terrain is more important than any pattern you'd wear.  Just don't wear anything blue, don't skyline yourself, and stay still and you're likely going to be fine.  Again, this is based on study of how the deer's eyesight works.

On those last few points, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying smoke a cigarette and don't even try to break up your outline, I'm saying don't worry about it before you worry about other stuff.  If you're just starting out, worry about the wind and your background, and learn how to move quietly (and not sound human when you do it).  Those things are free.

I'm headed back out in a few weeks and hopefully I'll have positive feedback on my 1-4X optic of choice and the terminal effects of the Barnes TAC-TX on WI whitetail.  I hope this helps you think your way through your gear list, and I hope it helps you see that you probably have most of what you need already.  I'm obviously open to correction or criticism in any of this.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#38]

And he never had much.
View All Quotes

And he never had much.

I wish I could sit down with that man and document the history of what he has witnessed in his life time.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:07:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By RickFinsta:

4) Scent - well, just wash your clothes in a UV brightener and perfume free detergent (we use one made for sensitive skin I think it is Tide brand).  You cannot hide your scent from a deer.  Period.  Full fucking stop.  If you are upwind they can smell you.  Trying to cover it up has been shown through scientific testing to be more effective than trying to eliminate your scent, so your best bet is to be downwind of your quarry, and hunt into the prevailing winds.
View Quote

I'm a little late to the party, but I'll have to take exception to this point.  You won't want to use any UV brighteners when washing your clothing, and eliminating scent has been shown to be more effective than trying to cover it up.  Deer can pick apart way too many scents at once to try to cover it up.  Your best bet is to try to elliminate it.  This is how I go about it.

I run an empty wash cycle with scent free detergent before doing camo laundry.  While that's running, I hose the inside of the dryer down in scent-a-way spray and run the dryer with a scent free towel until the washer is done.  I wash my hands in scent-free soap before transferring my clothes from the washer to dryer and again before transferring the clothes to a dedicated tote for storage.  Synthetic clothing gets line dried.  

Don't wear your clothing to the gas station or any other smelly place.  If you can, change into your hunting clothes when you get to the field.  Definitely only wear your hunting boots when you're walking on earth.  I bathe my clothing and gear with Scent-A-Way spray before I head to the stand.

Above all, play the wind.

Now, this advice may be a little "overkill" if you just want to kill any deer, but I'm primarily a bow hunter and target more mature deer.  These are the steps I've taken to enjoy pretty good success after 20 years of deer hunting.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

I put my gator strap around the tree and the foot platform of the stand as I find this works better for me.

By sitting in the top part, I find that it really bites into the tree and isn't at risk of falling if I stand up.

The bottom part, however, sees none of my weight until I stand on it, and when I stand on it, the teeth pushing into the bark squeaks a bit.  

So I secure the bottom, as it's the most likely to slip part, IMHO, and it makes less noise when it's strapped in tight, IME.

Always use a safety harness, learn how to self rescue, keep your phone on your person, carry a pealess whistle, give someone your itinerary, and stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Hunting season is upon us ladies and gentlemen! What did you guys get during the off season to review/practice to get a step up on this season?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Fantastic climber and very comfortable.  I had 2, both stolen.  One from the back of my truck at Walmart and the other after I hid it in the woods.  Someone was watching me hide it.  I miss it!
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By stinger-hunter:
Fantastic climber and very comfortable.  I had 2, both stolen.  One from the back of my truck at Walmart and the other after I hid it in the woods.  Someone was watching me hide it.  I miss it!
View Quote

This is what I put on my climber when I leave it in the woods.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Brinks-Locking-Cable/8251840
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I see baselayer was mentioned. My experience is using synthetics, I bought wool for this year and didn't use them. I do not recommend Under Armour   Base series. It is ill fitting and not durable. I can recommend Cabela's ECWCS. It is very durable. I have a set that i wore to work almost every night for 5 months and looks great, very little pilling and no fade. Highly breathable Polartec Power Dry grid fleece. Very warm and NTS fit that stretches and moves with you. It also is true to size. Throw jeans over the top and a heavy sweatshirt.

On stand I use Sorel Glacier boots with heavy wool socks and a synthetic wicking sock. If you order the Sorel boots order your normal shoe size as there is plenty of room for wool socks. Doing drives and warm weather I wear Merrill hikers.

My outer wear is Gander Mtn Tech2 0 series in blaze orange. Water resistant and breathable, also warm. I only wear it for 2 weeks a year so will last me a long time. I stay away from nylon lined outer wear. I got busted once by a coyote that came in close because he heard my arm rub on the inside of the coat. Instant oil change jacket for that one.

Glove wise I use a Wells Lamont jersey hobnob glove that is very thick with hand warmer packets and a muff around my waist. My circulation is horrible in my hands and I don't have a problem staying warm using this set up.

Neck gaiters are very helpful to staying warm. Keeps the wind off and warmth in. Will never hunt without one. I usually have 3 with me.

I'm using Barronett hub blinds. Jury is out on durability as I've only used them for 2 years.

I've used this gear for years and down to -10 with no issues. If the wind is howling I will put on another set of loose baselayer. I sit all day and don't leave like most people do after 1.5 to 2 hours. I will never complain I don't see anything because I am there all day and I see more deer than 90% of hunters.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 11:05:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Hunting season is dwindling down, you guys use anything new we can get a good review on? I got to the woods one time this year, missed a nice 10 point with a borrowed muzzleloader. Turns out it wasn't zeroed  guess that's what happens when you trust the word of another man 
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 8:24:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Never borrow anything. Always have your own.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By heavy260:
Never borrow anything. Always have your own.
View Quote
After my predicament, I agree. If you can't have your own, always confirm. A total miss is better than a bad shot, wasted meat, and a terrible feeling of bad sportsmanship
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#48]
I bought the cabelas wooltimate vest and hooded pullover,  both are awesome.  They are comfortable, quiet, and very warm.  I also use cabelas ecwcs heavy weight thermals and really like them as well.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By bosman1:
I bought the cabelas wooltimate vest and hooded pullover,  both are awesome.  They are comfortable, quiet, and very warm.  I also use cabelas ecwcs heavy weight thermals and really like them as well.
View Quote
Might I recommend surplus army cold weather base layers as well. I haven't used the cabelas brand stuff, but I know the army stuff works well when layered correctly. Cheap and efficient. Especially when the army is going to another color uniform by September 2019, prices should go down
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 11:49:23 AM EDT
[#50]
The Summit Viper is the Glock 19 of deer stands. There are lighter stands or heavier more comfortable stands, but it does most everything a climbing treestand should do for a good price.

The absolute best gear advice I can give is the First Lite Chama hoody. It is great for cool weather and great for layering in cold weather. I bought a green one to wear with my street clothes I liked it so much. Simple, versatile garment.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top