Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2010 9:35:01 AM EDT
Looking to get a deer hunting rig that wont break the bank. This will be my first year hunting and while I have a good knowledge of AR's and pistols I have no knowledge at all as far as hunting rifles. Any suggestions for an affordable rifle and glass would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys. Oh and it would be for mostly out to 100 yds. I would like something that can reach farther, but up to 100 would get the job done.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#1]
For under 100 yards and cheap you can't beat the pricing on used 30-30's.  You should be able to find a used marlin 30-30 for $200 or less.
New guns if you need new look at Marlin XL7, Savage 110/111, savage edge, Howa 1500
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 on the 30/30 suggestion.  They are plenty accurate with iron sights out to 100 yards if the shooter does his or her part, but you can find inexpensive mounts and scopes in many flavors.  I like Bushnell for budget optics - usually well under $200 with decent glass and they are pretty well made, especially for the money.

If you prefer a bolt action, I have heard some pretty good things about Savage/Stevens rifles.  Many people have posted finding them on sale at Academy Sports for right around $200 which is a pretty low price for a new bolt action rifle.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 11:17:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. I think I'll look into Savage. Maybe a 110 or one of those Edge models.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 1:26:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I've picked up 2 Mossberg 100ATR's int he last year and a half for very cheap prices.

One I traded a broken dirt bike for and the other I paid $256 shipped to my FFL and it had a Leopold VX1 3-9X scope on it.

Nothing fancy but they kill deer just fine.  Groups run about 1 1/2" at 100 yards, but I haven't really bothered to find a more accurate load.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 1:32:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks guys. I think I'll look into Savage. Maybe a 110 or one of those Edge models.

For sure your best bet. Plus they shoot pretty good too for the price.

http://www.snipercentral.com/sav110fp.htm

He says $500 but when I got my first deer rifle over 9 years ago it was much less than that.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 1:46:57 PM EDT
[#7]
M 44  if your really broke .... Mosin Nagant. 7.62x54r Sp is $11 a box.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#8]
what's wrong with using an AR?

Link Posted: 11/3/2010 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looking to get a deer hunting rig that wont break the bank. This will be my first year hunting and while I have a good knowledge of AR's and pistols I have no knowledge at all as far as hunting rifles. Any suggestions for an affordable rifle and glass would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys. Oh and it would be for mostly out to 100 yds. I would like something that can reach farther, but up to 100 would get the job done.

FL deer are a medium sized dogs. Grab some 75 grain TAP, your AR with a 5round mag, and go to town.

Someone already suggested it I see. Really, AR is a fine choice. If I had the ability to be there for Deer season this year, I'd prove it! Always wanted to hunt deer with my AR.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah I have no doubt I could do fine with my AR and 75gr TAP, but I am afraid I won't fit in where I'll be hunting. You even say AR and these guys look at you funny. Probably wouldn't be allowed to hunt on the property with it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Check the pawn shops.

I was in Walmart the other day and they had Mossberg ATRs for $247.

Also check the EE here. there was a Savage on there.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I hunt with my AR in Hog Valley and nobody gives me crap. Most guys like the rifle and most want to take it right out and shoot it. I do not know a more redneck place than Hog Valley in the Ocala nat. Forest. Seriously I am seeing far less resistance to the EBRs most places these days. I use 62gr. federal fusions and have not had to track anything. Oh, the 30-30 is a fine rifle and will do the job just as well. Good luck with your choice.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 5:42:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yeah I have no doubt I could do fine with my AR and 75gr TAP, but I am afraid I won't fit in where I'll be hunting. You even say AR and these guys look at you funny. Probably wouldn't be allowed to hunt on the property with it.

Grab your AR and take off hunting.  Take plenty of plinking ammo too to let the funny lookers give it a shot.  This is a golden opportunity to spread the disease as well.

If you can shoot pretty decent, challenge some of them boys to some sort of competition.  Show them you can shoot 4 shots more accurately in the same time they can shoot two.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 7:40:29 AM EDT
[#14]
If that's all that you have, take the AR.  You're in FL, I'm on your border, our deer up here aint all that big either.  It'll give you an oportunity to take a longer shot if needed compared to the limited range of a shotgun.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 8:16:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Love my Remington 710 federal fusion 150 gr 10 straight shots
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee397/cdalgo79/IMG_20101030_152242.jpg" />
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#16]
You guys don't understand. This is someones property. If they don't like the weapon I hunt with, I don't hunt on their property. It's as simple as that. I will ask if it's okay, but I'm betting it would just be easier for me to spend $300 or so on a cheap hunting rifle.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#17]
the Stevens 200 seems to be an accurate bolt rife.  I am really impressed with the savage edge...in a bad way.  They just seem poorly constructed and the latch on the detachable magazine feels like it won't last very long.
Link Posted: 11/6/2010 5:09:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You guys don't understand. This is someones property. If they don't like the weapon I hunt with, I don't hunt on their property. It's as simple as that. I will ask if it's okay, but I'm betting it would just be easier for me to spend $300 or so on a cheap hunting rifle.

Pawn shop, used lever action or bolt action with a scope already on it, get them to throw in a box of ammo. I'd take a .35 over 30/30 but both are capable with quality ammo.

Link Posted: 11/6/2010 6:53:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I will second the Stevens 200.  It is just a Savage without the accu-trigger.  I know 6 different guys shooting a Stevens 200 and they all freaking love them.  They all have finer rifles, but their Stevens 200's get more time in the field if that tells you anything.
Link Posted: 11/6/2010 10:48:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I understand that just fine.  Different folks have different ideas.

I'm a handgun hunter, I had one buddy that owned some land and invited me out hunting, he didn't like handguns.  Thought that they were evil and no one should own them. A Fudd in the truest sense of the word.  But after hunting with me on some National Forrest land seeing me take several deer and a bear (which he had previously wounded with a .30-30) with handguns he changed his mind about handguns.  IN the end he didn't mind me hunting with handguns on his property.

On another property I now hunt on the first time we were invited out to hunt my son wanted to use his WASR10 (Romainina AK47 copy), I told him to use his .30-30 for the first time out and see how the others feel about the AK.  After a couple of hunts with the .30-30 they are now fine with a 16 year old kid carrying an AK around their property.

So I think you are smart to "follow the crowd", at least until the land owners and other hunters on the property see you are a serious and responsible hunter like they are.  Once you have earned their trust then you can breach the subject of hunting with an AR15.

For the $300 range you have been given lots of advice and options, most any of the choices you have been given will work just fine for you.  Bump it up a bit more to the $350-$400 range and your options really increase.

Let us know what you decide to get.
Link Posted: 11/7/2010 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#21]
A friend just bought a Weatherby Vanguard in .270 for 399.  He then found online a Nikon Buckmasters scope in 3-9x40 for 170.  Rings and bases cost about 50.

He's into the whole setup for a little over $600 and it is a very nice shooter and the glass is quite good for the price.

Another option that is a bit more expensive but you did mention possible wanting longer range as an option for the future and the .270 is a fantastic cartridge.  The rifle is avialable in other calibers as well if .270 is a bit too big for your needs.

Link Posted: 11/7/2010 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#22]
What about on of those single shot Rossi break-open rifles?
They're pretty cheap.

Link Posted: 11/8/2010 8:12:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What about on of those single shot Rossi break-open rifles?
They're pretty cheap.

Or the H&R handi rifle, mine will flirts with 1 MOA accuracy and if it gets dinged up I don't care.  I suggested the Stevens because of it's ability for a faster followup than a single shot, but having a single shot never bothered me personally.

ETA: As far as glass on the cheap goes, don't go too cheap or it won't last.  I'm eyeballing the new Redfield scopes for my own Handi Rifle.  They're now made by Leupold, and if I remember right the 2-7x is about 150 actual retail.  For 100 yards 2-7 is all you need.
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 9:14:32 AM EDT
[#24]
H&R Break Open
Marlin 336
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 6:39:26 AM EDT
[#25]
I hunted last year with a Mosin Nagant rifle. The 7.62x54R is more than capable to kill a deer. You can get them cheap online for less than $100 shipped to your FFL. I used Brown Bear 203gr SP and the doe I shot ran 50 feet and was dead within a minute. Very quick/clean kill.

My thoughts.

Craig
Link Posted: 11/11/2010 7:34:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I took my AR to the farm this past weekend to sight it in.  One of the locals brought his bore sight for me to use.  When he saw my AR he said "Oh, that's one of those tactical jobs".  

I'm going to be the only one with a tactical rifle this weekend.  I may be the idiot of the group but it's my first time out so I'm allowed to be one.  

Link Posted: 11/11/2010 7:43:19 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I hunted last year with a Mosin Nagant rifle. The 7.62x54R is more than capable to kill a deer. You can get them cheap online for less than $100 shipped to your FFL. I used Brown Bear 203gr SP and the doe I shot ran 50 feet and was dead within a minute. Very quick/clean kill.

My thoughts.

Craig

I used mine last week on a small spike who I thought was a Doe.  Bone fragments everywhere. I stabbed myself a few times on them when pulling out the lungs/heart.  I was a bit disapointed with the bullet as it seemed to come completely apart after hitting bone.  However it did it's job.  I was using S&B 180gr SP's.  I might just stop using it alltogether but I may switch to the 150gr SP's that Privi makes. We'll see.

I think I have about 200 into my Mosin 91/30.  That's including the rifle with scope.  People seriously underestimate it's capabilities when you get a good one. I got a good one.  

Link Posted: 11/11/2010 7:44:28 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I took my AR to the farm this past weekend to sight it in. One of the locals brought his bore sight for me to use. When he saw my AR he said "Oh, that's one of those tactical jobs".

I'm going to be the only one with a tactical rifle this weekend. I may be the idiot of the group but it's my first time out so I'm allowed to be one.

Glad to hear that you got the OK to use your AR.  Best of luck this weekend!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top