Site Notices
7/23/2014 4:06:00 PM
Author
The Eye Of Arfcom
Posted: 1/3/2010 12:04:15 PM
and look what was in my front yard:

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed. -- Albert Einstein
supremeweasel67
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2010 1:31:41 PM

Originally Posted By M4Madness:
and look what was in my front yard:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/January_Deer_001_Resize.jpg

Ok we have before pics.
Where are the after pics?
Thanks for my Membership, IIRC

Putting Wounded Warriors in the outdoors. www.friendsofamericanheroes.org

'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
because He loves what is behind him.' -G. K. Chesterton
M4Madness
The Eye Of Arfcom
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2010 2:05:34 PM
[Last Edit: 1/3/2010 2:19:56 PM by M4Madness]
It would be funny if I had a pic of a pile of dead deer in the yard, but alas, it's only archery season, and 52 yards is a little farther than I want to shoot a deer.

My wife and I went to town and just came home to find 11 more deer standing in the field across from our home! And the six we saw earlier were not part of this group. The hunting should be good next year.

I could only get 9 of the 11 in the pic:

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed. -- Albert Einstein
supremeweasel67
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2010 2:46:04 PM
I had a rough year this year.

I have an unfilled Missouri tag, Kentucky Tag, and still able to take deer in Tennessee.

I only hunted 3 states this year instead of the 6-9 I usually pull off.

Leaving this Wed. to take 10 Wounded American Heroes duck hunting for couple of days, so doesn't look like will make it out this weekend.

The following weekend I think I am headed to Missouri to close on a piece of property we (Family Hunting Group) are buying adjacent one of our properties.

Maybe when I head to Florida in Feb to take 10 Wounded American Heroes on a Deer and Hog Hunt.

Putting Wounded Warriors in the outdoors. www.friendsofamericanheroes.org

'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
because He loves what is behind him.' -G. K. Chesterton
3rdStreet
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2010 10:51:32 PM
Thats sucks you season is so short. Nj sucks but i have to say we have a really long hunting season. You can hunt with the bow from september to mid Feb EVERYDAY except christmas day. Muzzleloader is between 20 and 60 days long (depending what zone your in) shotgun runs about the same amount of days depending where you are
Couldn't think of anything when i paid for a membership to write in here so I just wrote this which says nothing.
M4Madness
The Eye Of Arfcom
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/4/2010 4:32:50 PM
[Last Edit: 1/4/2010 4:34:58 PM by M4Madness]
Well, at 11:00 PM last night, I had to save one of the buggers from the top photo –– it was caught by a hind leg in the fence. If you look at the photo to the does' right, you'll see two stands of barbed wire going out of the frame. The doe was heading from inside the fence towards the road, and got its left hind hoof caught in the two strands of barbed wire and the top strand of the woven wire. She was between the fence and the road. My wife went out on the front porch to feed a "stray" cat, and heard the doe blowing. She retrieved a flashlight and saw it.

She came back to the bedroom and woke me up. It was probably 10 degrees out, so I had to bundle up pretty good. I then got a pair of wire cutters from the garage and headed down to the doe. Knowing that she could kick the living crap out of me, I climbed the corner bracing and approached her from the inside of the fence. I cut the two strands of barbed wire, then realized that the woven wire had a grip on her. It was wrapped tightly about two inches above her hoof. As soon as I severed the thick top wire, she sprang from the fence like she'd been shot from a slingshot. As soon as she hit the road, it was like ice to her hooves, and she fell hard with legs splayed out, and slid across the ENTIRE road on her stomach and into the grassy culvert. She got to her feet and barely cleared the other fence –– it vibrated down the entire fencerow when she dragged over it while jumping. She was hobbling as she ran across the field in the flashlight beam. I don't know if her leg was broke or not, but she'll survive.
M4Madness
The Eye Of Arfcom
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/4/2010 4:38:35 PM
[Last Edit: 1/4/2010 4:38:58 PM by M4Madness]
Originally Posted By 3rdStreet:
Thats sucks you season is so short. Nj sucks but i have to say we have a really long hunting season. You can hunt with the bow from september to mid Feb EVERYDAY except christmas day. Muzzleloader is between 20 and 60 days long (depending what zone your in) shotgun runs about the same amount of days depending where you are

Our archery season is from October 1 to the first Sunday in January. Our firearms season is two weeks long, and our muzzleloader season is two weeks long. I'm glad our season is "short", and wish it were a little shorter. States with long deer seasons usually have small bucks.
supremeweasel67
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/4/2010 5:16:33 PM
[Last Edit: 1/4/2010 5:17:28 PM by supremeweasel67]

Originally Posted By 3rdStreet:

Our archery season is from October 1 to the first Sunday in January. Our firearms season is two weeks long, and our muzzleloader season is two weeks long. I'm glad our season is "short", and wish it were a little shorter. States with long deer seasons usually have small bucks.

Agree

Wish more states would go to an antler restriction, and even "Earn a Buck"

Putting Wounded American Heroes in the outdoors. www.friendsofamericanheroes.org

'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him,
but because He loves what is behind him.' -G. K. Chest
dbd870
which way to the classifieds
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/5/2010 8:31:58 AM
I am fine with the seasons the way they are. What I don't like is the screwy license structure.
Stick it.
buckfever34
God Bless Our Troops.
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/5/2010 10:06:38 AM
Originally Posted By dbd870:
I am fine with the seasons the way they are. What I don't like is the screwy license structure.

Don't tell me you missed out on the "lifetime license"
Originally Posted By JPratt06:
Next time they visit, answer the door in a tinfoil hat and underwear, clutching a beltfed and a copy of 1984.
Zoomer302
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/5/2010 10:31:05 AM
I dont know if I would have the balls to cut the wire so close to a trapped pissed off deer - you are correct they can kick the beejesus out of you.
Kudos to you for a good job and a cool story to tell.

We have an interesting story too from the property we hunt in upstate NY. Coyotes are a real problem lately so after we shot the 3rd deer of the season my friend put out 2 leg traps with the gut piles. 2 days later my other friend (the property owner) is out and sees a strange sight from up the hill where the traps were set. As he walks closer he thought we were playing a trick on him, Upon closer inspection it was a red tailed hawk - fully splayed out, wings apart laying on the ground. He thought the thing was dead untill he got 10 feet from it and it went berserk, sadly still hooked into the trap.

He quickly returned home dressed up in his carhartt coveralls, motorcycle helmet and heavy jacket and returned with a blanket. Amazingly, he was able to free the bird (thank God!) without getting his eyes poked out or tore up from the talons. He said while the leg looked "crooked" the hawk didnt seems any worse for the wear - maybe a busted leg. He's seen it soaring over the house (the leg is still a little crooked) but it's been 2 weeks or so, and we think the Hawk will be OK.
New4John
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/5/2010 12:16:23 PM
Oh that first pic is a beauty of a twofer shot

Really is a nice pic and good save on her!
"The first rule of a gun fight, of course, is to have a gun" -Ted Nugent
"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne
dbd870
which way to the classifieds
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/5/2010 2:52:13 PM
Originally Posted By buckfever34:
Originally Posted By dbd870:

Don't tell me you missed out on the "lifetime license"

Stick it.
M4Madness
The Eye Of Arfcom
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/5/2010 4:24:24 PM
[Last Edit: 1/5/2010 4:28:24 PM by M4Madness]
Originally Posted By New4John:

That's what I thought as well.

My grandfather did just that back in the 60's. He shot a buck and also happened to kill the doe standing directly behind it with the same slug.

Really is a nice pic and good save on her!

Yeah, she may have a broken ankle and a case of road rash on her udder, but she'll be fine. In hindsight, I should have spray painted an orange stripe down both sides of her coat so I could identify her in the near future.
New4John
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/5/2010 4:28:48 PM

My grandfather did just that back in the 60's. He shot a buck and also happened to kill the doe standing directly behind it with the same slug.

I had a cousin do it in Pa. Being the ethical guy he is, he drug the buck out, found the game warden, told him what he had done.
GW went to the site of the incident with him, acknowledged it, talked and walked with him while he drug her out.....then wrote him the ticket and took the deer.
"The first rule of a gun fight, of course, is to have a gun" -Ted Nugent
"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne
bartonmd
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2010 5:44:18 PM
I got 2 does this year, but it was a really strange year!

Mike
PSYWAR1-0
Tactical Hippy
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2010 6:00:38 PM
I got back from AFG, New Years Eve. Only went out one evening and saw 3 Does. Since Im Antler hunting Im 0 for 2 since moving back to Indiana. At least I smacked a Doe on base last year and still have some meat
[NO TEXT]
M4Madness
The Eye Of Arfcom
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2010 6:09:31 PM
Originally Posted By PSYWAR1-0:
At least I smacked a Doe on base last year and still have some meat

I hit my first deer ever this past October on Highway 54.
AR_DairyFarmer
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/9/2010 12:44:08 AM

I had a cousin do it in Pa. Being the ethical guy he is, he drug the buck out, found the game warden, told him what he had done.
GW went to the site of the incident with him, acknowledged it, talked and walked with him while he drug her out.....then wrote him the ticket and took the deer.

Never talk to the police. Or the game warden.
RRA15
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/9/2010 10:31:24 AM
Originally Posted By AR_DairyFarmer:

Never talk to the police. Or the game warden.

It happened locally here this year. Guy shoots 2 small bucks on opening morning in the fog w/ slug. He tries to cover it up after getting some bad advice from friend.
Game Wardens hear, investigate and believe his story. They write him a written warning, only because he did not call.
They would have issued tickets if it involved trophy bucks or if he would have tried to maintain the lie.