ARCHIVED ARCHIVED
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Posted: 10/7/2008 3:25:40 PM EST
My coworker bought himself an SKS today. I'm always going on about Hurricanes this or that, BATFE abuses, Obama, TEOTWAWKI, 2012, blah blah since he started working with me about four months ago. He's pretty new and inexperienced with firearms, but in that short time, he's bought a 12guage pistol grip shotgun for home defense, a Ruger 10/22 for squirrel hunting, and today he went in to by a TipUp 45-70GVT to deer hunt with me during primative weapons season. Well, the rifle he had a hard on for was in the hands of another customer, so we had to kiss it goodbye.

There were two SKS rifles lying on the countertop, one had a small scope on it. Norinco.

The gunstore owner threw in another receiver cover so he could use the iron sights, 3 boxes of wolf ammo. I think he paid $360. He plans to deer hunt with that (but not primative weapons season). I tried talking him into buy a bolt .308 or .270, but was not successful. Whatever, it's a fun little gun anyways, i'm sure.
If I was 25 yrs old, I'd probably be drooling too.

Anyone use these rifles to deer hunt with? The scope looked very sketchy to me. We're going to take it out Sunday to see how it groups at 100 yards. I don't even know if there are real hunting rounds chambered in 7.62X39.

LockandLoaded
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/7/2008 3:53:51 PM EST
my buddy hunts with a norinco sks, not sure how it does at 100 yards tho
bean93x
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/7/2008 3:56:54 PM EST
if he does hunt with it, be sure he uses soft point ammunition and not FMJ's
tamu94
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/7/2008 4:22:20 PM EST
SKS will work for deer but you have to use soft points and make the shot count. I know several people who have used them for deer and hogs. Frankly, they weren't that impressed. At the time the soft point selection was limited so that was probably a factor. I would keep the shots within iron sight range myself for this caliber.
j20owner
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/7/2008 8:50:33 PM EST
I've seen 4 deer shot with SKS's and know of many more. 2 of the 4 went less than 30yds. The 3rd went about 100yds. The 4th was gut shot and took too long to die.

The wolf HP's worked fine for the deer that was shot on my land. Ranges on all were less than 75 yards. 7.62x39 is ballistically the same as the good old .30-30.

Was the SKS plated in gold? If not, I'd say he got took, too. Really shouldn't be paying over $200 for a Chinese SKS, imo.
TKD4Life
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/8/2008 7:18:38 AM EST

Originally Posted By j20owner:
I've seen 4 deer shot with SKS's and know of many more. 2 of the 4 went less than 30yds. The 3rd went about 100yds. The 4th was gut shot and took too long to die.

The wolf HP's worked fine for the deer that was shot on my land. Ranges on all were less than 75 yards. 7.62x39 is ballistically the same as the good old .30-30.

Was the SKS plated in gold? If not, I'd say he got took, too. Really shouldn't be paying over $200 for a Chinese SKS, imo.

That's what I was thinking too..on the price.
556A2
Buckshot > Birdshot
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/8/2008 7:56:36 PM EST
He will probably be better off using the iron sights. A very cheap upgrade is a Target Front Sight Post from Tech-Sights for $5, and keep his shots under 100 yards.

For a quality softpoint at a great price, have him try out the Prvi Partizan softpoints here:

Prvi Softpoints

"Hunting is more than a sport. It is a damn mystical experience if you approach it ethically." -AmericanPatriot1776
hannism
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/8/2008 8:12:03 PM EST
I killed my first and only deer with a Chinese SKS.

It was at 100 yards with a 4*32 scope.

That being said, if I didn't have a lot of money and wanted a good hunting rifle, I would go with the Mosin Nagant carbine.

It's much more accurate and power.
FKERHEAD
FKERHEAD
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/10/2008 1:31:13 PM EST
I heard from a freind that it works quite well, just keep it under 100yrds....and sights are just fine at say 40 or 50yrds........
You don't get the virgin to the valcano,by telling her your gonna push her in.
dIIshoots
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/13/2008 1:37:24 PM EST
The SKS works for me...

I have found it to be a very good, dependable, short range rifle given proper hunting ammo is used.
1776-1865_RIP
Freedom > Safety
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/14/2008 4:53:19 AM EST
He could have gotten a Marlin for that much.
https://www.gop.com/Donate/Default.aspx - cut and paste in your address bar.
TKD4Life
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/15/2008 8:06:12 AM EST
I would have sold him my .30-06 Rem 7600 for that much too. Can't talk to kids sometimes though.
thebeekeeper1
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/15/2008 8:15:48 AM EST
As above, if he poopcans the cheap scope, practices, uses proper HUNTING/SOFTPOINT ammo, learns what a hundred yards looks like AND STICKS TO THAT RANGE AND NO MORE, he will do okay. There are certainly much better deer hunting rifles (and calibers) out there. Mostly I'm just glad to hear of a new hunter getting a start. Hopefully he will take all this to heart and have a good experience. Good luck!

Oh, you also need to teach him where to aim when the deer is standing in various positions. Most beginners aren't born knowing this and end up blasting at the middle of the deer's body.
TKD4Life
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/15/2008 3:29:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:
As above, if he poopcans the cheap scope, practices, uses proper HUNTING/SOFTPOINT ammo, learns what a hundred yards looks like AND STICKS TO THAT RANGE AND NO MORE, he will do okay. There are certainly much better deer hunting rifles (and calibers) out there. Mostly I'm just glad to hear of a new hunter getting a start. Hopefully he will take all this to heart and have a good experience. Good luck!

Oh, you also need to teach him where to aim when the deer is standing in various positions. Most beginners aren't born knowing this and end up blasting at the middle of the deer's body.

Thanks BK. It's like raising a boy of my own, except starting with a 25 year old. And a hardheaded one. He's a good kid though. He's really latched on to me, talks me to death, worse than the old lady. I'm no sniper, but I'm a decent marksman and thanks to you guys, my knowledge is ever expanding. I'm learning patience and am hoping to help him put a nice buck on the ground this year.

I appreciate the advice about targeting. I hadn't thought of ensuring he has that particular bit of knowledge in his cranium just yet.
thebeekeeper1
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/15/2008 4:15:45 PM EST

Here's what I did with my wife:

After a number of bench sessions to get familiar with her rifle and its function, I placed a dozen or so gallon jugs full of water in various places around her stand. Put at least one at 100 yards so he sees exactly how far it is, and how small that jug looks with iron sights. I had her sit in the stand, just like hunting, and shoot all those jugs.

Once this was done I set up a near life-sized photo (actually an archery target) of a deer. There were no predetermined aiming points--just a two dimensional deer standing broadside at about 70 yards. I had her shoot it three times, which gave her no feedback. I was thrilled to find a nice, tight little three shot group just behind the shoulder. She nailed her first deer with a single perfectly placed shot.

Good luck--mentoring someone else is a challenge, but one that is VERY rewarding. When he kills his first buck you will have a sense of satisfaction nearly as great as killing your first deer.
j20owner
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/15/2008 8:49:19 PM EST

Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:

After a number of bench sessions to get familiar with her rifle and its function, I placed a dozen or so gallon jugs full of water in various places around her stand. Put at least one at 100 yards so he sees exactly how far it is, and how small that jug looks with iron sights. I had her sit in the stand, just like hunting, and shoot all those jugs.

Hey, I do that too.
M60forever
League of Kentucky Sportsmen Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/19/2008 5:51:22 AM EST
did you poke that ones eye out

Originally Posted By dIIshoots:
The SKS works for me...

i48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/DIIshoots/scandeer0001.jpg

I have found it to be a very good, dependable, short range rifle given proper hunting ammo is used.
Our Mission:
To conserve and enhance
fish and wildlife resources
and provide opportunity for
hunting, fishing, trapping,
boating and other
wildlife related activities.
dIIshoots
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/19/2008 9:34:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By M60forever:

The SKS works for me...

yep...but I didn't shoot it in the head.
TKD4Life
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/19/2008 12:39:00 PM EST

Originally Posted By M60forever:

The SKS works for me...

yep...but I didn't shoot it in the head.

Looks like it was shot with a cannon.
Originally Posted By OleWild:
YOU DAMN RIGHT education is a threat to our national security...look at all the stupid fuckers backing Obama.
tamu94
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/19/2008 3:03:03 PM EST
SKS is a good reliable rifle. Ammo selection and quality however are another matter (at least in the past). Anyone have a specific catridge to recommend for the OP?

DONT try any of the FMJ surplus loadings.
JimWest
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/20/2008 6:32:39 PM EST
These are available again after being gone for years.And that price is for a box of thirty rounds. Not twenty.Its just a tad bit more expensive than other hunting ammo in this caliber.Plus you can get more reloads out of Lapua brass.

Lapua 7.62x39 Mega soft point

Saggs
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/23/2008 2:20:08 PM EST
I've taken plenty of deer with a Norinco SKS and I just use cheap wolf soft points. Out to a 100 yards, no problem. the furthest I've tried so far is 150 yrds but that might have been a fluke.
Shade00
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/31/2008 10:13:37 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/31/2008 10:22:10 AM EST by Shade00]
I'm gonna give it a shot this year... then she gets her old kicks back.

TKD4Life
You know how I can tell you're gay?
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/31/2008 5:08:34 PM EST
That looks pretty sweet. Waiting for my buddy to get his shooter's safety card from LDWF. Looks like he lost it and it's holding up his getting a license.
Originally Posted By OleWild:
YOU DAMN RIGHT education is a threat to our national security...look at all the stupid fuckers backing Obama.
gkieser92
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/31/2008 5:33:22 PM EST
Just make sure it's legal...many, of not most jurisdictions limit mag capacity to 5 rounds max, so check you local laws or get a 5 round mag.
Shade00
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/31/2008 6:03:18 PM EST
Louisiana (where I'll be hunting) is not such a jurisdiction, but it's a valid concern. The mag pictured in my SKS hunter setup above is a 5-round Tapco detachable.
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED