Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2017 3:24:14 PM EDT
When I speak into the mike should the meter needle jump back and forth? The louder I speak the farther the needle goes. The needle on the Alinco power supply does the same thing. I also have a Alinco 2900 and when I transmit on that the power supply meter shows about 12 and is steady.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#1]
FM has a constant carrier

SSB has a suppressed carrier and peaks with your voice peaks

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for explanation. I see their is a lot more to this hobby than getting a Tech ticket and turning the radio on.

Arrl is getting involved with the eclipse Monday.
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/QST/This%20Month%20in%20QST/August2017/Silver.pdf
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I will add that on the 440, it depends on what the meter is set to display.  Most of them are selectable to show forward power, swr, alc, and maybe one or two others.  ALC is the one i always left mine on so i knew when i got too loud.  SWR shouldnt be budging much.  

As for the comparison to the 2900, the first reply was correct.   You can make the 440 do the same thing in AM mode. 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#4]
The 440's ALC isn't implemented properly. It's touchy to set and will result in distortion if overdriven.

Lots of info on the web about it.

A good rig in most other aspects.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top