Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2017 10:11:08 AM EDT
In about an hour I'll be operating mobile from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Jackson,_Louisiana

Likely on 14.074 FT8, but if you have any specific requests, let me know, and I'll try to work whatever you want to try.

I'll be in Belle Chasse LA until 27 Sept, so I'll be operating mobile from various locations in southern Louisiana.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a great place to visit
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm in NW Louisiana, so I'm probably not gonna hear you. But I will tune in and try to get you.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool. I'd love to make a QSO but I don't do digital modes.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:26:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Was only able to operate for about 90 minutes, but bagged Guantanamo right off the bat before a lightening storm rolled through.

WW1 era Cannon Casemate.

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like you are using a Goal Zero power package. I got the same thing but have noticed that the "battery" module puts out a lot of RF "hash" noise. Have you noticed the same problem?
Great pictures! Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice pictures!  I like seeing these old forts.  

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy a case of OFF
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like you are using a Goal Zero power package. I got the same thing but have noticed that the "battery" module puts out a lot of RF "hash" noise. Have you noticed the same problem?
Great pictures! Thank you!
View Quote
Yes I have, and the next time I go out to try it, I will use an on / off schedule to address the noise issue, i.e. I will turn off the sine wave ac converter to so I can listen and only charge my laptop when I need to.

The battery only puts out a lot of noise when using the 12 / 120 vac inverter, which I will try to mitigate the next time I operate.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:45:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine puts out a a lot of noise without the inverter being on. When I say "a lot" I mean changing noise level from nearly zero to about S1 on 20 meters. This is very annoying. I tried installing RF chokes on the power cable but it made no difference. The noise probably comes from an internal DC to DC converter.
You'd think that such an expensive unit should have had it addressed.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:12:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I worked for a land surveyor out of Metairie many years ago that did some work there once (If I remember right it was a flood elevation). We got to walk around and see some of the exhibits in the museum section. It was a really neat place to visit. Same company had us do some work on the St. Louis cathedral in Jackson square. There are little aluminum expansion bolts in the outside masonry walls that I drilled and installed, and we used them to monitor the rate of settling of various parts of the building.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top