Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2017 5:36:38 PM EDT

So That Others May Live

Jul 2013 - Aug 2017 RIP

Not sure what killed it. Lightning is a natural suspect, so I'd like to think it died a heroic death, giving its all to save the station However, even though I only run 500W, voltages can get very sporty on my multi-element, ladder line fed, fan dipole/half square franken-antenna. I killed a 5KW rated DX Engineering balun and have since moved up to a 10KW unit, which is doing fine so far, although I can saturate it on 160M where the antenna can't go but the tuner can So it's possible that I killed it and not Mother Nature. I've ordered an M-303U which is 8KW rated. Perhaps it will last a bit longer!
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#1]
A moment of silence in honor of faithful service... Okay, that's long enough!
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:13:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Open it up!

You will know what killed it then.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:11:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh, I'll peek inside this weekend when I have time
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Well remember the rules.....

Pics or id did not happen
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Morgan's sacrifice will not be forgotten!.........................What was I saying?

Have you tries using Polyphaser units? Perhaps it will survive a bit better?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:53:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh, I'll peek inside this weekend when I have time
View Quote
We're going to hold you to that.

With my stuff, it's almost always water intrusion. In a desert, go figure. (Go ol' diurnal pump.)
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#8]
So I opened it up. Not much to see. Clean as a whistle inside. I'm guessing one of the high voltage capacitors is damaged. I ordered the 8KW rated replacement on Tuesday and received it today. It is already installed and doing its job.

The schematic and functional description of the design can be found here, by the way:

http://www.iceradioproducts.com/33.htm

These were originally manufactured by I.C.E., but when I.C.E. folded after the death of the owner, Morgan Mfg. obtained the rights to build and distribute the design.

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Put a dummy load on one side and an antenna analyzer on the input side. Sweep it over the frequency range and post some of the results for SWR or impedance. A capacitor may not show a voltage break down, but the impedance should be out of wack if the parts are damaged.
Rob
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Not even worth my time, @robmkivseries70. And I don't have an analyzer. There's nothing wrong with the resistor or inductor. It is extremely unlikely that there's anything wrong with the GDU. It would be less trouble to just pull the cap's out and test those, or, better yet, get Morgan to ship me some cap's and replace them on spec., especially if they only want a few bucks for the cap's. I might do that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top