Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2017 2:11:15 PM EDT
What do you use as an anti-seize compound for stainless steel nuts and bolts used on aluminum antennas?

You'd like the hardware to stay tightly connected (lockwashers would help), but also able to be easily removed at a later date despite years of exposure to the weather.

I believe that Cushcraft antennas come with some sort of white silicone grease that can be applied in a small quantity to bolt threads just before tightening the nuts.

I think that I've also seen gray goop of some sort used for that purpose, but I'm not sure whether it's a graphite-based grease or something else - then again, maybe I'm confusing it with the gray goop used to ensure electrical conductivity between telescoping aluminum tubes. Maybe that stuff is Penetrox A: https://smile.amazon.com/Burndy-P8A-Oxide-Inhibiting-Compounds-Container/dp/B008KLX2RY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502648545&sr=8-1&keywords=penetrox+a

Unlike the latter application, I'm not sure that good electrical conductivity is required.

While I haven't looked it up, supposedly the galvanic properties of stainless steel are not that different from the properties of aluminum, and so preventing corrosion between the stainless steel hardware and the aluminum antenna elements or boom is not a high priority.

Anyone have experience using off-the-shelf products in that application?

Silicone-based spark-plug dielectric grease such as this one?  https://www.amazon.com/Versachem-15309-Dielectric-Spark-Grease/dp/B0002JN57Y

Something else? Teflon plumbing thread tape? White lithium grease?

Plumber's silicone grease like this? https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-Silicone-Grease/50236505
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:20:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Try using No-Ox-ID. It's sold in Lowes and Home Depot's electrical section.
Never tighten stainless hardware without grease. I use Moly based grease on all stainless bolts and nuts to prevent galling (cold-weld).

Noalox @Home Depot

Ox-Guard @ Lowes
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Those both look like they would do the trick.

Interestingly, those are conductive formulas, whereas silicone grease is used as a dielectric.

I doubt whether conductivity matters much in this application. But I suppose that it wouldn't hurt, which might tip the balance just a bit.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I made the mistake of forgetting anti-seize compound on the bolts when I put together my AV-680.

It took putting my impact driver in kill mode and just shearing off the factory bolts to take things apart again.  Luckily Lowes has stainless bolts in stock!

I used Permatex Anti-Seize (the silvery stuff) and it works well but is VERY messy.  I didn't mess around and applied liberally.  Have a rag handy!

The NoAlox stoff works well between segments of aluminum on the antenna.  I sanded all my telescoping pieces and coated with NoAlox before assembling to keep corrosion away and ensure good conductivity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top