Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2017 11:24:01 AM EDT
As many of you know, my Ham Radio podcast was birthed from this very sub-forum.  

Over the last 3+ years it's spawned 2 additional shows and garnered almost 700,000 total downloads.

In that course of time, I re-branded the show and reworked the website completely.  
If you've never listened, I invite you to give it a spin.  
If you've never visited the site, I invite you to peek around.
And-
If you are so inclined-please offer some opinions and thoughts on the site itself.  I want to make sure it has everything it needs and nothing it doesn't.

Thanks & 73 y'all!

Ham Radio 360 Podcast
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:44:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Gathering my thoughts..   Stay tuned...

I chewed on this for a couple days, not much that I can give you.   I appreciate the work you do, and surprised by the info that you guys throw out to the listeners..   I hope the wife is on board as this is a big job you have on your hands..   I like the way you are sincere in your podcast to the listeners.  There is a warm tone that is easy to listen to.   I caught wind at episode 7 and listened to all since, good listening when I am at work..    Elmers are the key to the beginner IMO, this is the hobby of hobbies because it is so broad..    

Prosise
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#2]
The podcasts are awesome.  Listened to the satellite one today, and now i'm pointing my handheld yagi antenna in the sky.  Haven't heard a bird yet, but my wife is like wtf are you doing, lol!
Very good stuff, thank you for doing it. Have learned a lot.  
73!
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:01:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I discovered your podcast recently via this forum, and while I am a struggling podcast listener (I can't listen while I work.. I either am listening or it's background noise that I'm not absorbing..), I've listened to a few episodes and I enjoy it.

The site looks pretty good. I don't know that I saw the older site for comparison.

Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I am a relatively new listener. I have only listened to the main show 1x, because I was interested in the guest and the topic of SOTA. I enjoyed it. I only listen to older shows for now, binge listening to get caught up - but I love the "workbench". Even if they are rambling about 3d printing which I don'r get, they are smart and funny and entertaining. I mainly listen to workbench and soldersmoke, they are the only 2 ham radio podcasts I listen to with any regularity.

When I get caught up with old episodes, I will try some more current regular episodes. I appreciate the product you put out!
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#5]
You are doing a great job. Your podcast is the best of them all, period. Most other ham related podcasts sound like "Beavis and Butthead". Yours is way more professional. I like the fact that you don't claim to know everything and bring guests who have experience in the subjects you cover. You don't overdo the advertisements either.

One suggestion, perhaps, if you don't mind. Try to make the download link more accessible. It can be a bit confusing when the link is on the very bottom of the page. Several others mentioned this as well.

Keep up the good work and thank you for the efforts!
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 4:00:32 PM EDT
[#6]
It takes too many clicks to start a podcast. I just want to click the main graphic for the particular podcast and have it play.

The player does not have a volume control.

The player does not have a playback speed control. I listen to things like this, and watch lengthy Youtube instructional videos, at 2X speed, only slowing down for information that is of interest. This sort of thing is not entertainment for me, I just want the information, and podcasts are the slowest way to obtain and impart information. I'm probably in the minority here, but just sayin'...
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Your podcast helped me get into parks on the air, and get general. I listened to 2 years worth in a couple of months... I'm letting the latest ones build up and I'll do another marathon.

I've tried other podcasts and never finish them, always back to you.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Fellas!

I have already made some changes per your request.

The Player is now at the TOP of the page.  While this player won't allow you to speed it up, there is a Volume slider there on the right and the download link is just below (as is the Subscription links for every app and OS, even email).

Sorry, it blows up my show notes and such, so you'll have to scroll down to use the player the easiest way to listen to the show is through a podcast player through your phone.  You can download on demand as well as setting playback speed to your taste.  there are links all over the page to make subscribing easy (thanks)

I really appreciate the feedback and welcome more if you have it to share!
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:28:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry to say but I'm a TLDL (too long didn't listen) kinda person.  
10 minutes maybe I can do.  But even then, without visual input I might get distracted, lose track, then have to back up and it takes me even longer which makes even less likely I'll get through it.
Dude, it's not you, its me.
And you know I'm a supporter.
In addition to the podcasts keep the website useful with links & info and I'll keep visiting.
Put links to suppliers for specific products relavent to the podcasts and I'll try to remember to click on them.
BTW: As soon as they have bluetooth modules in stock I'll be buying 2 TNC-X full systems.  No later than mid-Sept.
(that's a hint for an affiliate link if you can get one set up!)

I was glad to see you at Dayton and glad to see you in the public spotlight in a good way.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:27:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks Fellas!

I have already made some changes per your request.

The Player is now at the TOP of the page.  While this player won't allow you to speed it up, there is a Volume slider there on the right and the download link is just below (as is the Subscription links for every app and OS, even email).

Sorry, it blows up my show notes and such, so you'll have to scroll down to use the player the easiest way to listen to the show is through a podcast player through your phone.  You can download on demand as well as setting playback speed to your taste.  there are links all over the page to make subscribing easy (thanks)

I really appreciate the feedback and welcome more if you have it to share!
View Quote
I was just about to report back on how those changes weren't made. Not only that, but one of the featured casts uses a different player.

Sorry @SCWolverine, but I find your site hard to use, relatively speaking. Dedicated listeners won't care, they'll say it's fine, but I suspect you are losing casual listeners/passers-by. Again, make the main graphic a link instead of having to click over on the right. Put the player at the top. Player volume control you've got now (except that one page). Player speed control most important.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was just about to report back on how those changes weren't made. Not only that, but one of the featured casts uses a different player.

Its the same player in a different format.  And it uploads differently due to RSS Feed differences

Sorry @SCWolverine, but I find your site hard to use, relatively speaking. Dedicated listeners won't care, they'll say it's fine, but I suspect you are losing casual listeners/passers-by. Again, make the main graphic a link instead of having to click over on the right (Unpossible with current theme.slider). Put the player at the top . Player volume control you've got now (except that one page-(?). Player speed control most important (Need more funding to buy better player-*see note below).

thanks
View Quote
*99+% of my downloads are from listeners utilizing their phone or tablet, it's an astonishing number, so they get the bells and whistles built into their players and the Desktop listeners suffer.  Thanks again for your time!
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:54:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sorry @SCWolverine, but I find your site hard to use, relatively speaking. Dedicated listeners won't care, they'll say it's fine, but I suspect you are losing casual listeners/passers-by. Again, make the main graphic a link instead of having to click over on the right. Put the player at the top. Player volume control you've got now (except that one page). Player speed control most important.
View Quote
Totally agree.

The site looks way too cluttered, to me.  I click on something that I think is going to be a podcast, and I get a written article, instead.  Now, I like the written word, but if I'm trying to find a podcast, it's frustrating as hell.  It's hard to navigate through all the "stuff" on that site.  I say keep it simple.  Put something at the top of the page (in BIG letters) that says:  "Click here to access all of our podcasts".  

I think your site is probably full of good information, but I sure have trouble finding it.

EDIT:  Quick analogy.....I flew out of DFW airport for years.  I could get from gate to gate, or terminal to terminal, in a minimal amount of time.  So could many of the frequent flyers. But if  someone only flies once every few years, or has never been to DFW,  they get totally lost in that airport.  You can spot them a mile away, wandering around, and trying to figure out where they need to go.  

That's the same way a casual listener feels, when they go to your web site.....lost.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a lot of windshield time for my job, and so I've developed quite an audio content appetite over the last few years.  I use BeyondPod on Android to manage and download my podcasts, and rarely go to your site unless I'm looking for something specific in the show notes.  I really appreciate the effort you guys go through to have thorough notes for every episode - not every podcast producer does that!

I follow a dozen or so podcasts, and the three 360 shows are the three that I never skip.  I have a lot (a lot) of choices for audio content and the fact that I keep listening to 100% of the episodes you guys put out frankly speaks for itself.  I recommend it to peers whenever the opportunity arises.

Some thoughts, since you're asking
  1. Ads: my personal opinion is that HR360 has too many breaks for ad reads.  It takes me out of the conversation every time a break happens (I don't watch TV with commercials for this reason, so I'm aware that it's just kinda my attention span, lol).  I get it, sponsorship keeps this thing going, and I'm totally on board with it, but if it was up to me, I'd take one or two fewer mid-show breaks in favor of more ads at the beginning or end of the episode.  Counterpoint: I can tell, as a listener, that you are careful and thoughtful about who you do ad deals with.  I've done business with several of your sponsors and they are all folks I would recommend to a friend.  Some producers would take anyone's money, and the shows suffer for it.  One of my favorite podcasts used to be sponsored by Fleshlight.  That's a comedian's show, so the reads were highly entertaining, though not something I could listen to at work
  2. Quantity of content: I think you guys are hitting a sweet spot right now with the three shows.  It's hours and hours of content every month, and all high quality stuff!  I love the interviews, and George & Jeremy's topics, and I'm excited to see where the Field Radio show takes us.  Don't think you need to keep producing more and more content, because at some point, quality is going to suffer.  (that's my opinion and is subject to being out of touch, delusional, or dead wrong.)
  3. I love that you guys aren't afraid to talk about negative stuff.  I'm thinking specifically of Jeremy and his critical eye toward some new products, but it goes for the shows as a whole.  You could just as easily gloss over negative stuff to keep a positive vibe going, but you don't, and I notice and appreciate it.  I think talking about the downsides to a new product, or company, or operating mode, or whatever is important.  I think when folks only talk about the upsides to something, they are doing a disservice to their listeners.  You have to paint the whole picture, and I like the job you guys are doing at that.
  4. I just reread the OP and see that you were looking for opinions on the website itself.  I might be too caffeinated for this
  5. An episode list would be nice.  Just a master index with links to the page for each individual episode.  The blog format seems a little ill-suited for what you're using it for.  Makes it a little tiresome to find a specific episode's page.
  6. I don't care for pop-ups, so the newsletter subscription thing is a turn-off for me.  Sorry, cousin.  Kind of the same thing for the social media bar on the left, but I'm not a social media guy (deleted my facebook, if you noticed ) so I know it's not targeting me.
  7. I'm on a smaller screen on this laptop (4:3 toughbook), and the modern websites aren't really made for it so it looks a little cramped. (screenshot below) Attachment Attached File
I hope this helps, and I hope you understand that my criticisms aren't meant to put you guys or your efforts down!  I love the shows and hope you guys get enough enjoyment from them so that you keep doing them for many more episodes!  Three years in, and yours is still the #1 amateur radio show in my book.

Cheers from AK's highways!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top