Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2017 8:08:26 AM EDT
are there any good, powerful dual band mobiles out there? or are the big 3 the only way to go?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:49:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a buddy that has one of the little wouxon or whatever it is that costs like  $80 on amazon, he says he really likes it and talking to him I can't tell he's not on a more expensive rig

The qyt 8900 is the one he has, though there's a couple new ones that have come along since then that look to be pretty nice in a similar price point
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#2]
are the bayofengs any good? their HT's are good, are the mobiles worth looking at?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:48:01 AM EDT
[#3]
YAESU FT-7900

best bang for ur buck

fuck the chi-com junk

Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
are the bayofengs any good? their HT's are good, are the mobiles worth looking at?
View Quote
Not sure, haven't messed with one directly. I have an older Icom that I horse traded for, but it's probably getting replaced with the dual band DMR mobile that TYT is dropping soon.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
YAESU FT-7900

best bang for ur buck

fuck the chi-com junk

View Quote
A good first choice.  A used FT-7800 good as well.
Pros:
-Simple to operate while driving.
--The squelch is a knob.  On the Wuoxun mobiles it is a menu item.  A pain to use on my desk, a nightmare when driving.
-Data port.  If winlink might be a thing for you down the road.
-price comparable.  A Wouxun 920 is about $260, the FT-7900 $290, or less.
A used ft-7800 is approx $200.  There are two on swap.qth.com  And a FT-7900. (caveat: I know nothing about these particular radios for sale.)
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
YAESU FT-7900

best bang for ur buck

fuck the chi-com junk

View Quote
+453948753987239847293847 on this. Especially the last comment.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:08:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
YAESU FT-7900

best bang for ur buck

fuck the chi-com junk

Like Like and Like.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I like my JT-6188. Screw Japanese price gouging.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#9]
after they came out, I got an Anytone dual band mobile.  It worked great for a few years.  Now it's starting to flake out on me.  I saved maybe $100 at the time.  It was $100 I couldn't afford to spend, and I don't regret going that route.  Now though the difference in price would be less than $50 for a known brand 50+ watt dual band mobile vs a chicom 50+ watt dual band mobile.

FT-7900 is only $269 at the first place I found it.

Yes, there are 25W options out there for cheaper and they'll work fine for a few years and probably get into all the repeaters you need them to.  Just note the options you have, the price differences and make an informed choice.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:15:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Pros:
--The squelch is a knob.  On the Wuoxun mobiles it is a menu item.  A pain to use on my desk, a nightmare when driving.
A used ft-7800 is approx $200.  There are two on swap.qth.com  And a FT-7900. (caveat: I know nothing about these particular radios for sale.)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
YAESU FT-7900

best bang for ur buck

fuck the chi-com junk

Pros:
Data ports are what keep me from buying the chinese ones.  I keep a TNC hooked up in the vehicles, so I have the FT-7800's in them.  The Jeep is going to an FT-8800 this weekend, scored that one for $150.  Looking forward to the x-band repeat feature.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree on the FT-8800 as a good used rig. I've had one in my vehicle for way over 7 years without a problem. HOWEVER, my dual band on the base is a Kenwood V71a and it outshines the FT-8800 hands down. NOW both of the mentioned rigs have dual band dual DISPLAY capabilities that radios like the FT-7800, or is it the 7900, and most if not all of the Chinese rigs do not have. If monitoring 2 different sets of frequencies is not an issue then  the 7800 or maybe the Chinese rigs are good. ICOM also makes a dual band dual display that does not include D-Star don't have one so??. Can't comment on the Chinese rigs as I buy from the Big 3, pay once, cry once
Sarge
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Kenwood TMv-71a. The end.

ETA: OP, if you can't swing a big 3, just buy something, at least you'll be on the air....go ahead and flame me

Or spring for a nice used rig swap.qth.com is a great place to shop!
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry folks,  I'm just a meatloaf eating, budget AR building, Baofeng talking guy.  Maybe one day, I'll eat filets 3 times daily, be willing to pay insane prices for a commodity firearm for the bragging rights, and have a shack full of fresh stuff straight from Dayton.

For now, I'll get by with stuff that works and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:17:54 PM EDT
[#14]
FT-7900 is probably the best choice for the money. Stay away from Chinese mobile rigs. They are not as cheap as a $25 Baofeng. Spend a little more and get a quality radio from the Big Three. Alinco makes good radios too.

If I were to choose a dual band radio I would only choose one with a cross-band capability. It's a great feature to have.
For a mobile, I'd go with a Yeasu FT-8800. For a base radio, probably a Kenwood TM-V71a. I currently have two TM-V71a rigs. Great radios for the money but they lack a mobile face separation kit. I had to buy it for an additional $60. Yaesu usually includes a free separation kit.

Several of my local buddies bought cheap Chinese mobile radios and he radios failed within several months. Both radios were shipped from China. Warranty was a joke.
I heard Wouxun are supposed to be of better quality but don't have much experience with that brand.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:50:12 PM EDT
[#15]
The difference between the big 3 (4 if you count alinco) and the chi-com stuff is simple.  My UV5RE cannot hear the same stuff my IC-T90A can in a RF heavy enviornment, side by side, and with an external 1/4 wave.  The Baofeng gets washed out and the frontend just goes limp.   Those that don't use them in the city might not find this an issue, but it's valid in mine.    The Icom is FAR easier to program and use on the fly.  Auto offsets, and a simple process to use repeaters from the VFO (important when traveling).  Even my old RatShack HTX-202 was a simple robust radio.  Yea, computer programming, but Ive not jumped on that bandwagon yet.   I only do it out of necessity with the UV5.    
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:38:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I have two of these: Leixen 25W Dual-band

They work quite well. They are tiny, tiny, tiny. The speaker puts out so much sound if you're in a quiet place, you may have to turn the volume all the way down. I've gotten good audio reports from several places I've taken one.

Other Pros:
- Is easily programmed with Chirp

Cons:
- Menu programming is a royal pain.

I'm thinking of putting one in a backpack with a simple 2m/440 antenna and see how well it works as a portable.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I had one of the Leixen VV898 radios.  I sold it at a loss with full discloser because the transmit audio sounded muffled. They are tiny.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 5:39:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I had one of the Leixen VV898 radios.  I sold it at a loss with full discloser because the transmit audio sounded muffled. They are tiny.
View Quote
Most Chicom radios sound muffled, including Baofengs. Cheap is cheap, you get what you pay for. I have always said - "I'm not rich enough to buy cheap things". Buy once, cry once.

Cheap radios have it's place. I have about 4 Baofeng UV-82. They are "throw away" radios to keep in vehicles as an emergency backup or to take with me to where there is a good chance of loosing it or getting it damaged. It all depends though. Baofengs do have crappy front end in the receivers and are not well suited for busy RF environment. They are ok to use while hunting or hiking.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:12:51 AM EDT
[#19]
stick with the big 3..   Keep your local craigslist on the radar, i have picked up 3 good radio packages..  One was in Ca, guy shipped to tx..   Typically if they have a callsign its been good for me.  All three people gave me a money back guarantee that all was well..  ft-8800 - 160$    ic-2730 with prog cable and software  250$     ft-7900 with a magmount . 125$ .     Would recomend  a dual recieve radio..   Nice monitoring two repeaters..

Prosise
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:47:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I love my Juentai JT-6188 Dual Bander for 79 bucks and its roughly the size of a pack of smokes you cant beat it. Its only 25 watts but its still a great radio
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have two of these: Leixen 25W Dual-band

They work quite well. They are tiny, tiny, tiny. The speaker puts out so much sound if you're in a quiet place, you may have to turn the volume all the way down. I've gotten good audio reports from several places I've taken one.

Other Pros:
- Is easily programmed with Chirp

Cons:
- Menu programming is a royal pain.

I'm thinking of putting one in a backpack with a simple 2m/440 antenna and see how well it works as a portable.
View Quote
I've got one of those (the 10W version) and really like it.  After getting another small higher power chicom radio for my Jeep it went into the garage as a base station.   10W still gets pretty far when the antenna is 30-35 feet off the ground.  I thought about the backpack type radio as well using a small motorcycle lithium ion battery or one of those small UPS type batteries.  Never got around to doing it.

I've got no problem with the chinese radios.  I've got 5 of the UV-5Rs, 1 of the UV-82HPs and 6 BF-888s (little 2 watt UHF units).  

These have pretty good reviews.  You can find them on Amazon and get them though Prime.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:54:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My UV5RE cannot hear the same stuff my IC-T90A can in a RF heavy enviornment, side by side, and with an external 1/4 wave.  The Baofeng gets washed out and the frontend just goes limp.   Those that don't use them in the city might not find this an issue, but it's valid in mine.
View Quote
There is a reason why I repeat, over and over, the suggestion that the only Baofeng to buy is the UV-B5.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:22:27 AM EDT
[#23]
I just saw a ftm-100dr sell on the zed for $225.
I'm pretty sure that the only reason it took 7 hours is that the OP put it up for sale at 2am.
I think of the ftm-100dr as the ft-7900 for this decade.  

I considered getting it but for two reasons: I've got two V71 and I don't want to spend time learning a new interface.  Or teaching my wife.
Especially since it would have been used at the QTH for weekly nets on a fusion repeater.

Quoted:
stick with the big 3..   Keep your local craigslist on the radar, i have picked up 3 good radio packages..  One was in Ca, guy shipped to tx..   Typically if they have a callsign its been good for me.  All three people gave me a money back guarantee that all was well..  ft-8800 - 160$    ic-2730 with prog cable and software  250$     ft-7900 with a magmount . 125$ .     Would recomend  a dual recieve radio..   Nice monitoring two repeaters..

Prosise
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top