Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2017 11:58:44 PM EDT
Latest space weather report From Dr. Skov

Massive Sunspot Launches Big Solar Storm at Earth: Solar Storm Forecast 07-15-2017

I saw a presentation by Dr. Skov at HAMCOM last month, very interesting.  She predicts space weather, and it's effects on earth communications, including Ham.

Her website, spaceweatherwoman.com, seems to be down, but her youtube page is still there:TamithaSkov-YouTube
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:19:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks OP! Space weather that even I understood.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:27:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I just watched it, too.  I like it!  
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, I added that to my favorites.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow! What a great link! She definitely covers the important data in an easy to understand format.

10 meters was open late last night. We usually have a local 10m SSB net every Saturday. There were lots of CW beacons on the bandscope and I saw multiple QSOs going on. After the net a mobile station from Canada called me with a S9 report and a guy from Iowa called with an S9+ report. I was the only local station they heard, probably because I was using a 4 element Yagi. Nevertheless it was fun and very unusual.
40 meters was very noisy, at almost S9 noise level. Usually it's less than S1.

Usually HF propagation picks up several days after a major solar flare hit. Keep an eye for some good openings towards the middle through the end of this upcoming week.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow! What a great link! She definitely covers the important data in an easy to understand format.

10 meters was open late last night. We usually have a local 10m SSB net every Saturday. There were lots of CW beacons on the bandscope and I saw multiple QSOs going on. After the net a mobile station from Canada called me with a S9 report and a guy from Iowa called with an S9+ report. I was the only local station they heard, probably because I was using a 4 element Yagi. Nevertheless it was fun and very unusual.
40 meters was very noisy, at almost S9 noise level. Usually it's less than S1.

Usually HF propagation picks up several days after a major solar flare hit. Keep an eye for some good openings towards the middle through the end of this upcoming week.
View Quote
That has been my experience as well. I was working a massive 10M opening couple years back, west coast, JA, Brazil, Europe, ZS, Stations in the mix. Then Bam band goes quiet and not a peep. Thought the radio blew up, static level jumped to S5 bacon frying. Local repeater start talking about it. Radio blackout from an X class flare. Lasted about 2 hours and then it was on again. It was rather cool.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 2:47:52 PM EDT
[#6]
She's part of the regular HamNation show, too. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top