Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2017 9:37:51 AM EDT
I just started using the WSJT-X program and the new FT8 digital mode.  I made a dozen or so contacts, first using JT65 to get my feet wet with the program, and then with FT8.  When I uploaded the contacts to LoTW only the JT65 contacts "took."  The FT8 contacts were ignored.

My logging sequence was to log the contact using the LOG QSO button in WSJT-X, and then import that ADIF file into my main Ham Radio Deluxe logbook.  I then export the contacts from the HRD logbook up to LoTW.  It has always worked fine with all the JT65 QSOs worked with the JT65HF program, and it was OK with the JT65 contacts from WSJT-X, but it seems that LoTW does not recognize the mode "FT8" and ignores the upload.

I suppose I can go in and edit the record in my HRD logbook from FT8 to RTTY or something before uploading to LoTW, but I would rather keep the FT8 mode contacts unique.  

How are others here handling this?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 10:06:01 AM EDT
[#1]
You can upload them as Digital contacts. Or you can wait, there is an ADIF council, they are convening next week and FT8 should be added, once that happens there will be an updated file on LOTW that will allow FT8.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:25:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm waiting until LoTW adds the FT8 mode before I upload.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Just a hint on logging from WSJT-X. I use WSJT-X and added JT-Alert to the mix. JT-Alert will auto-log contacts to HRD which is what I am currently using (an older version though).
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 4:36:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just a hint on logging from WSJT-X. I use WSJT-X and added JT-Alert to the mix. JT-Alert will auto-log contacts to HRD which is what I am currently using (an older version though).
View Quote
I've finally got this working, except it's logging all my contacts in HRD as CW because there is no FT8 option. I'm hoping that changes soon
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've finally got this working, except it's logging all my contacts in HRD as CW because there is no FT8 option. I'm hoping that changes soon
View Quote
That is an HRD issue. I use AClog and I have JT alert setup to log in AClog, QRZ, and HRD log online. I quit using HRD when they went commercial. All of them are being logged as FT8.
You might be able to add the mode in HRD, but im not sure.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That is an HRD issue. I use AClog and I have JT alert setup to log in AClog, QRZ, and HRD log online. I quit using HRD when they went commercial. All of them are being logged as FT8.
You might be able to add the mode in HRD, but im not sure.
View Quote
I'm guessing not. I just updated to the latest HRD and it has no FT8. There's an active thread on the zed about the update, but PIE won't even acknowledge most of the JT/FTF support questions
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:58:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I added the FT8 mode to HRD Logbook. Not at home but it is under the settings somewhere to edit modes. It will at least be logged as an FT8 QSO for now. I'm waiting for mode to be approved before I upload to LoTW.  JTAlert-X still auto-logs mine to HRD fine, but my version is a few years old.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:35:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I guess QRZ does not have FT8 on the dropdown menu. But if you upload ADIF it works.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:38:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm guessing not. I just updated to the latest HRD and it has no FT8. There's an active thread on the zed about the update, but PIE won't even acknowledge most of the JT/FTF support questions
View Quote
You can add the FT8 mode to HRD Logbook by going to CONFIGURE => MODE => ADD and add it.

It also imported as FT8 from the WSJT-X log .adi file.

Has anyone heard anything about when LoTW may be updated to allow the FT8 mode?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You can add the FT8 mode to HRD Logbook by going to CONFIGURE => MODE => ADD and add it.

View Quote
Yes, that's what I did. Thanks for posting the menu option, I forgot 10 seconds after I made the change.

I'm guessing when ADIF recognizes the new mode, LoTW will follow.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Got it, thanks a bunch
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:01:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Good info here on how to map new modes to "DIGI" in TSQL:

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/LotWModeMapping
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm just going to wait until LOTW accepts FT8 marked QSOs.

I upload to QRZ and send to LOTW anyway so I have about 400 queued up they're going to be getting.

QRZ and eQSL have been accepting for a while now under the proposed ADIF file spec.  Comments on the ADIF spec close tomorrow so I imagine we are close to LOTW uploading the ADIF spec to their backend.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 1:19:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Delete
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I sent a few hundred FT8 QSOs from QRZ to LoTW last night then downloaded the other way for confirmations to see if it was supported yet.

Got every one back as a new contact because something in the middle converts to DATA.

Spent a while manually deleting a LOT of QSOs that showed conformed with LoTW but they are all dupes.  QRZ doesn't have an FT8 dropdown selector when you build a query because those dropdowns pull from the adif definition files.  It would have been nice to select out all the DATA modes and delete them en masse.

I guess it'll be a while longer before confirmations!
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like it will be another 2 weeks before the update to the ADIF will be official.  The voting members of that group have that long to cast a vote.   After that, assuming it voted in, however long it takes to roll out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top