Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2017 8:44:21 PM EDT
And I'm loving it! Being able to talk across the country, with perfect digital audio, from an HT in my backyard is really cool! Only sucky part right now is my local machine doesn't have a worldwide talkgroup, but such is life
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:57:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I have 4 DMR radios now, the most recent addition was the TDR6100 40w UHF mobile.

I know, it's me, it HAS to. be. me!!!...but I personally can't stand listening to the Digital Audio, it's like nails on a chalkboard to my ears.  

That said, I do scan the SC- PRN all day, and there is a load of traffic passing.  
The mobile is in my Laundry Room 'Shack' (opposite side of room from my Laundry Room Office Standing Desk-aka the counter-top) so I don't reach over much to chat.  
The TYT HT's are in their boxes in the shack for future use and the CSI smiles every time I pick up my Kenwood 2m HT and head out the door.

but, my QSO with Jerusalem, on TAC1 from an HT months ago, was pretty killer
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have 4 DMR radios now, the most recent addition was the TDR6100 40w UHF mobile.

I know, it's me, it HAS to. be. me!!!...but I personally can't stand listening to the Digital Audio, it's like nails on a chalkboard to my ears.  

That said, I do scan the SC- PRN all day, and there is a load of traffic passing.  
The mobile is in my Laundry Room 'Shack' (opposite side of room from my Laundry Room Office Standing Desk-aka the counter-top) so I don't reach over much to chat.  
The TYT HT's are in their boxes in the shack for future use and the CSI smiles every time I pick up my Kenwood 2m HT and head out the door.

but, my QSO with Jerusalem, on TAC1 from an HT months ago, was pretty killer
View Quote
Hahaha, that's awesome. I have already started looking at mobiles. Your show on DMR was what actually got me started looking at it, and watching seemingly everyone at the hamfest I was at yesterday carrying one was the final push. Fortunately, the MTC trailer was right outside and they had a few MD-380s, so one followed me home
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:45:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
DMR is hi-fi audio compared to D-Star. LOL. D-Star sounds real weird.

BTW, I bought a Tytera 380 from the BuyTwoWayRadios.com. Their store is here in town. It was a compulsive purchase. They loaded the files (or whatever it's called) for the whole region. I played with it a few times and now it's collecting dust somewhere in a box. It seems like a well built radio but I can't find anyone to talk to. Obviously I don't know what I'm doing. LOL. I'm a hardcore HF guy.
How do you find someone to talk to on DMR? I only heard a few guys talking for about a minute.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I picked up a TYT 380 in Des Moines this past spring. Its ok, but I've only got about a couple hours talk time on it. Audio quality is good.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:06:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

DMR is hi-fi audio compared to D-Star. LOL. D-Star sounds real weird.

BTW, I bought a Tytera 380 from the BuyTwoWayRadios.com. Their store is here in town. It was a compulsive purchase. They loaded the files (or whatever it's called) for the whole region. I played with it a few times and now it's collecting dust somewhere in a box. It seems like a well built radio but I can't find anyone to talk to. Obviously I don't know what I'm doing. LOL. I'm a hardcore HF guy.
How do you find someone to talk to on DMR? I only heard a few guys talking for about a minute.
View Quote
I managed half a dozen QSOs today just throwing my call out on different talkgroups, mainly the metro area and statewide talkgroups.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:26:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a Tytera 380 from the BuyTwoWayRadios.com also.
Just started getting to know the radio and it developed what I call "the white screen of death".
Nothing would show on the display.  Radio seemed to work but useless if you don't know what channel your on.

BuyTwoWayRadios.com replaced the radio and now I find that there is little to no action on the two repeaters in my area.
Listening to see how things are used.
Guess I will have to through the call sign out and see what mistakes I make.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:17:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I have an md380G and a retevis (md380) and both have the 61K DMR cotacts loaded in them along with the hacked firmware.
Payed less than 90 ea, and both have been flawless so far. Lots of DMR action here in S Jersey. Every couple weeks we have someone that "used to live here" check in on a local system. I've heard S Korea and Israel personally. Which is pretty cool on a HT (I know...it's an internet call....working on General...)
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Please, no more talk of cool things related to radio. My wife just realized I installed a rig in my truck and asked how long I've had it...
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#9]
My wife was like that when my XPR 5550 arrived.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Please, no more talk of cool things related to radio. My wife just realized I installed a rig in my truck and asked how long I've had it...
View Quote

The TYT380s are less than $100 right now so you might be able to get away with one.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

....It seems like a well built radio but I can't find anyone to talk to. Obviously I don't know what I'm doing. LOL. I'm a hardcore HF guy.
View Quote
This is gonna prolly sound stupid, but you have to PTT to 'listen'...My initial rig (CSI700) sat here for months never making a peep-thought it was busted and a piece!  Then I finally learned that my HT was set up for a PTT system.  Meaning I have to PTT to listen.  Sounds backasswards but that was it.  Prolly explaining it wrong, but Rick the guest on that show helped me figure out where I was going wrong.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, that's the way talk groups are from what I understand.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This is gonna prolly sound stupid, but you have to PTT to 'listen'...My initial rig (CSI700) sat here for months never making a peep-thought it was busted and a piece!  Then I finally learned that my HT was set up for a PTT system.  Meaning I have to PTT to listen.  Sounds backasswards but that was it.  Prolly explaining it wrong, but Rick the guest on that show helped me figure out where I was going wrong.
View Quote
I'm not sure if it's just the way I wrote my codeplug or what, but mine isn't like that. I leave mine on scan and it comes on when someone transmits in a talkgroup
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#14]
The way it was explained to me was, if say Tac 310 is PTT in your area, you must push the ptt to listen in on the conversation, then it will time out in 10 minutes...or whatever the timer is set at. (edit) if nobody talks on it to keep it opened. If talking is going on, it will stay opened.
If it's full time, it's full time. Or "on".
If it's PTT, you must key the transceiver in order to "open up" said channel. Unless of course someone already did, in that case the channel will stay "opened" for whatever the timer is set at. Typically 10 or 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like we need an ARFCOM talkgroup. :)
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Gotta need to listen to that show. I might have missed it.
The problem is that the seller loaded the "plugs" (or whatever they call it). I have no clue what all that abbreviated stuff means. I can choose by area and selected my area but there is nothing there. Are you saying I need to press PTT every time I turn on the radio to "check it in" somehow?
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:18:03 AM EDT
[#17]
maybe?

It might be worth a drive back over to Buy2Way?  DMR is Very Menu Driven (VERY).  
To begin with you need to select your "ZONE" (the one whose title appears to be closest to you).  The ZONE should be full of programming that best suits your area.
From there you have 16 channels to choose from. maybe even a SCAN ALL that will run until someone speaks up
Those channels are assigned a place in the DMR system to allow you to talk locally or all over

I just looked; there is a ton of youtube vids-that May help?
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:47:46 AM EDT
[#18]
The youtube videos helped me a lot with writing my codeplug.

Like wolverine said, listen to the DMR episode of his show, there's lots of info there that helped as well. The whole channels inside a repeater thing wasn't as foreign to me because I've dealt with 8/900mhz trunking which is essentially the same concept.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:44:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

....It seems like a well built radio but I can't find anyone to talk to. Obviously I don't know what I'm doing. LOL. I'm a hardcore HF guy.
What he's trying to say is that some of the talk groups that the repeater has the ability to use (through the CBridge) are not active till someone on the local system activates them via a PTT event. Then typically that talk group is active for a predetermined amount of time (typically) 15 minutes) or until the local activity has ceased and the timer has run out. They do this to keep overly active talk groups from tying up the system for people who want to use other talk groups that are assigned to a particular time slot.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#20]
If you haven't checked out the Shark RF yet, you need to. It's like having your own DMR repeater that you can use in your car, house, or anywhere you can hook it into the Internet. I have one that I hook into a little wireless bridge/router that works with my wifi hotspot on my phone. Works great!
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Gotta need to listen to that show. I might have missed it.
The problem is that the seller loaded the "plugs" (or whatever they call it). I have no clue what all that abbreviated stuff means. I can choose by area and selected my area but there is nothing there. Are you saying I need to press PTT every time I turn on the radio to "check it in" somehow?
View Quote
They loaded a code plug. You choose a zone based on where you are and who (what talk group) you want to talk to. Most repeaters are set to have the local or statewide talk group on at all time. For instance in Iowa all of the DMR repeaters are set to have 3119 (Iowa statewide talk group) always linked or on. If I want to talk to someone on the 3100 (nationwide talk group) I would switch my zone to the local repeater, switch the channel to 3119 and kerchunk the repeater (completely acceptable on DMR). That would open up the repeater to broadcast anything coming from the 3100 talk group for 15 min. I could then talk to anyone on 3100.

Start playing with it and see where you get. It would be fun, and a lot less frustrating having a ARFCOM talk group than trying to do HF stuff.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
maybe?

It might be worth a drive back over to Buy2Way?  DMR is Very Menu Driven (VERY).  
To begin with you need to select your "ZONE" (the one whose title appears to be closest to you).  The ZONE should be full of programming that best suits your area.
From there you have 16 channels to choose from. maybe even a SCAN ALL that will run until someone speaks up
Those channels are assigned a place in the DMR system to allow you to talk locally or all over

I just looked; there is a ton of youtube vids-that May help?  
View Quote
Thanks. This is common sense. I figured that much. There is also a "channel" called : "Monitor all" in the local zone. The radio would not transmit on that memory channel.

BTW, I tried keying the radio on several local channels and throwing CQ. So far no one took a bite. I'll try again on other channels. To be honest, I have not spent a lot of time with it to really get to know how DMR works. The basics seem very simple but there is a lot of difference when compared to analog FM repeaters. I spend most of my time on HF bands, mostly working CW and SSB DX.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:44:47 AM EDT
[#23]
We've got both DMR-MARC and Brandmeister repeaters in the area.

With the Brandmeister network, you can log on to their Hoseline site and monitor the various talk groups via the Internet. You can also view the status (i.e. which talk groups are currently active) of individual Brandmeister repeaters on the Brandmeister network website.

I don't know of that functionality on the DMR-MARC side. At least on our local DMR-MARC system, the talk groups are static.

Just throwing in my 2¢.

Resume party.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:50:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Get on 3100 national talk group. It's pretty active.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 7:56:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Get on 3100 national talk group. It's pretty active.
View Quote
I wish my local repeater had 3100, the closest one that does is not reachable from here with an HT
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#26]
You can't just activate it by kerchunking the repeater on that talk group? I thought they were all set up that way.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#27]
If you use netwatch, see what channel is active.
Set the channel knob to that channel (assuming youre within the repeaters reach)"Kerchunk" it and you SHOULD hear the channel.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Head over to TG 31010.  That's the Alabama Link and all modes can talk there - DMR, DStar, Echolink, C4FM, etc

Alabama Link
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:55:50 PM EDT
[#29]
3100 is getting a little CB'ish but its a good place to get your feet wet in DMR I think they said 3100 is worldwide now. TAC 310 has more traffic these days than just a few weeks ago. I dont flash the user data base every day like some of these guys...I wait till I start getting user unknown messages alot and usually its time to update.
As others have said find the channel list for your local DMR repeater and it should tell you which chanels are FT-full time or PTT-push to talk . the push to talk groups you have to kerchunk the repeater on that group to hear anything and get the repeater to access that group and then it will time out if you are not actively talking on it. I still think we need a TAC 556 or TAC 223 talk group for arfcom hams.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:55:40 AM EDT
[#30]
I got a programming cable for my Tytera MD380 and uploaded the file from the radio. There are lots of channels in there. The file has only about 600 contacts loaded (call signs with DMR numbers). It looks like I can import a lot more.
Do any of you guys know how many contacts can be loaded? I doubt the radio has a lot of memory but it's hard to tell.

Also, can anyone explain in plain English what the "Lone Worker" setting means? What's the best setting to use the radio for peer to peer simplex operation? I assume it's digital and high power but is there anything else to consider?

Sorry to ask too many questions but this digital thing is new to me. If I do something, I like to understand the whole thing thoroughly before making programming changes in the radio.

One more thing... What mobile/base DMR radio would you recommend? Something reasonably priced. Motorola brand is too expensive. I won't spend much money on VHF/UHF radios. HF is where the good toys are.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:23:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I got a programming cable for my Tytera MD380 and uploaded the file from the radio. There are lots of channels in there. The file has only about 600 contacts loaded (call signs with DMR numbers). It looks like I can import a lot more.
Do any of you guys know how many contacts can be loaded? I doubt the radio has a lot of memory but it's hard to tell.

Also, can anyone explain in plain English what the "Lone Worker" setting means? What's the best setting to use the radio for peer to peer simplex operation? I assume it's digital and high power but is there anything else to consider?

Sorry to ask too many questions but this digital thing is new to me. If I do something, I like to understand the whole thing thoroughly before making programming changes in the radio.

One more thing... What mobile/base DMR radio would you recommend? Something reasonably priced. Motorola brand is too expensive. I won't spend much money on VHF/UHF radios. HF is where the good toys are.
View Quote
I THINK with the stock firmware the limit is 1000 contacts.

The next questions will have to defer to someone else.

I am waiting for the TYT 9600 I think. Since it's dual band and will do DMR and analog, I want to use it to replace the dual bander in the truck, though I did get an email from a buddy about a CS-800 for sale locally for $200 that I'm thinking about.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 7:39:39 AM EDT
[#32]
if you do the new firmware and the MD380 tools you add the ability to import the entire user DB as well as several functions that make the radio more useful. There is a lot of great info out there on how to do this. Its easy--takes a few mins to do but is highly worth it.   I think as of right now the user DB sits just shy of 70,000 users. 
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:52:47 AM EDT
[#33]
This deal on the new (unproven) TYT Dual-Band mobile is pretty slick linked here

the CSI Mobile is a solid choice, I have the TDR6100 UHF that has been GTG as well
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
if you do the new firmware and the MD380 tools you add the ability to import the entire user DB as well as several functions that make the radio more useful. There is a lot of great info out there on how to do this. Its easy--takes a few mins to do but is highly worth it.   I think as of right now the user DB sits just shy of 70,000 users. 
View Quote
I need to get around and do this
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I need to get around and do this
View Quote
Me too, I have 2 of the 380's both in stock form...
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
I just got a used Moto xpr 5550 for under $300. It came from Canada, so it already had the 25khz entitlement in it, and the expensive mic! You just have to be looking at the right place at the right time.

If you go to this site, loading the upgraded MD380 (hacked) firmware is REAL easy, along with the world wide DMR call sign data base. Just a few mouse clicks and youre done. No loading emulator programs etc etc.

https://kg5rki.com/new2/tymd380.html

Edit, you can buy a GREAT monoband uhf dmr rig BRAND NEW for $399. Free shipping!
Hytera md762 from Gigaparts. Many people say it's as good as the Moto in comparison, PLUS the CPS is FREE! Get the PC-47 cable so that you can update the firmware. It's something like $2 more than the cheaper one that cant do firmware. (PC-37 IIRC)
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Me too, I have 2 of the 380's both in stock form...
View Quote
Well, I broke down and did it today using the M1GEO tools and it was actually really easy. I used a video from KC2ZMA on YouTube to do the actual update and then just started playing with the settings in the radio to get what i wanted
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#38]
I picked up a md-2017 and digging thru the codec but need some time understanding the mode.   Pretty cool radio and dmr is dmn cool.   But I know nothing!    Listening and learing.  

Prosise
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Anyone with the MD-380 using the text messaging? Trying to get it set up with a buddy but it just keeps failing to send. I'm sure it's a setting somewhere but there's not a lot of info I can find on what that setting is
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:09:48 AM EDT
[#40]
I recently bought the TYT MD-380 and Im in love! Once I figured out what I was doing it was a game changer, Still havent figured out the text or private call yet but I think it has to do with the repeaters having it blocked I don't know...... Anyone figure out the text feature?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top