Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2017 3:29:31 AM EDT
Mine gets used if I'm going to be in town on the night the radio club has it's weekly net and I remember to bring it. Otherwise, I might get it out every few months to play with it a little. That's one of reasons I think the Baofeng's are great if you get one that works right (mine does and has for over four years). You can get one, get the HT want out of your system and spend the extra money on something else more useful.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:05:53 AM EDT
[#1]
My UV5R was my gateway drug.

Still using it as my mobile, but have a UV50x2 in for repair to replace it.

I also have a IC706mkIIG as a base station in the house. OCFD with manual tuner.

Now I have a40 ft tower and tri-band yagi to set up.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:37:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My UV5R was my gateway drug.

Still using it as my mobile, but have a UV50x2 in for repair to replace it.

I also have a IC706mkIIG as a base station in the house. OCFD with manual tuner.

Now I have a40 ft tower and tri-band yagi to set up.
View Quote
I have a suspicion that a UV-5R is a lot of people's gateway drug.

What got me to thinking about this was I thought my TM-281a that I use for a 2m base station went TU during the radio club meeting so I got out the trusty UV-5R, knocked the dust off, hooked it to the base station antenna (I have a BNC adapter on the UV-5R so it took about 5 seconds)  and carried on with the meeting. I realized that if had been a few months since it had been used.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:40:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I havent user my Yaesu VX-8R in a loooong time (6+ months)- but it rides around everywhere with me in my EDC backpack.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:02:55 AM EDT
[#4]
My HT's gather dust. I keep one mobile in the trunk of the car with a mag-mount in case of some epic emergency during which, if I even have time to mess with it, when I deploy it I'll still probably hear nothing because nobody uses VHF in this area.

Sequence of events in most new ham's lives:

1. Get sort of interested.
2. Realize how easy it is.
3. Take and pass the technician test.
4. Buy the cheap handheld.
5. Program up all the area repeaters.
6. Listen and either hear a lot of nothingness, or a few old guys complaining about their medical problems.
7. Realize there is absolutely no technical or operational challenges in what they are doing and that most VHF/UHF QSOs are intensely boring.
8. Circle back around and get their general license.
9. Buy an HF radio and put up a big wire in the trees.
10. Live happily ever after

There are exceptions, of course. I suppose there must be some areas where there are hotbeds of interesting characters to talk to on the radio. And the internet linked digital voice stuff is marginally more interesting for a short time until you figure it out, then you realize it's just the internet and you could be doing the same thing with Skype.

Get the general, go HF, talk to the world without using the interweb, be happy!
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:05:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I barely used my FT-60 for years until I got my own IRLP node.  Now I use it all the time for the Arfcom Friday IRLP/Echolink net.
It's nice to be able to walk around the back yard with the dog in Indy, and gab on the net with guys in NV, OR, where ever.  

ETA:  Except NH.  

Quoted:

Sometimes, I want one just so I can listen to the air bands.
View Quote
Yep, that's another use for mine, too.  Especially when I'm late night plane watching on the back patio with the ADS-B setup.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:16:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I barely used my FT-60 for years until I got my own IRLP node.  Now I use it all the time for the Arfcom Friday IRLP/Echolink net.
It's nice to be able to walk around the back yard with the dog in Indy, and gab on the net with guys in NV, OR, where ever.  

ETA:  Except NH.  
View Quote
We do the same thing using Echolink on our smartphones in NH so that we don't have to disturb the dust on our HT's
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Mine gets used if I'm going to be in town on the night the radio club has it's weekly net and I remember to bring it. Otherwise, I might get it out every few months to play with it a little. That's one of reasons I think the Baofeng's are great if you get one that works right (mine does and has for over four years). You can get one, get the HT want out of your system and spend the extra money on something else more useful.
View Quote

In November each year *our* HTs get used a lot.  Our small town has 2 parades, Veteran's Day & Holiday plus our local election commissioner requests RACES activation to support the election.
In the last year they also get used occasionally around our property of 7.5 acres between my wife & I.  She got her tech last year.
Originally I had a FT-250.  Now we both have UV-82hp.
Why the UV-82hp?  Not for the extra watts (though it don't hurt).
1- "The new UV-82HP is not just a power upgrade, but a combination of all major features of both the UV82 and UV5R series in one package." Miklor
2 - Amazon Day 2016. Don't remember the actual price, but was something like $45 each.  Plus picked up 2 Nagoya NA-24J 16" whips.
They just work.  
Trivia: I swapped the Nagoya antennas back for the original antennas dummy loads during Dayton.  The poorer reception seemed to reduce overloading.  On the other hand we pretty much didn't bother to carry them around because we couldn't hear them over the ambient noise levels.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm still trying to convince myself I need to buy a HT.  So far, I haven't been able to do that.

If I want to talk to someone 5 miles away, I'll call them on the phone.  If the phone system is out and I really want/need to talk to them, I'll drive over to their house and knock on their door.

Sometimes, I want one just so I can listen to the air bands.  Or maybe listen to the weather chaser guys. But those are about the only reasons I want one.  

I don't know......maybe I'll get one anyway.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:08:16 AM EDT
[#9]
7 HTs in the house, maybe even more. Several Baofengs, two Icom ID-51A D-Star, one Kenwood TH-F6A etc.

Most of the time the Kenwood TH-f6a is on all the time when I'm in the house or anywhere on the property. It's set to 50 mW output, enough to reach my cross-band repeater. There is a group of my buddies who always hang out on one simplex frequency. We talk a lot daily.
My wife is licensed too. We use D-Star HTs, in Digital mode often.
There is lots of activity on both VHF and UHF in this area. Lots of repeaters too with multiple daily nets. I find VHF/UHF very boring, except the daily BS on the simplex frequency. We are not very "politically correct" on the simplex frequency. I was banned from one of the repeaters once.
HF is where the fun is.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:18:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I only use a portable if I'm working an event.

Mostly HF.

The "new" wore off on my HT 24 years ago ;-)
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:50:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My HT's gather dust. I keep one mobile in the trunk of the car with a mag-mount in case of some epic emergency during which, if I even have time to mess with it, when I deploy it I'll still probably hear nothing because nobody uses VHF in this area.
View Quote
That.

But I also use them for basic comms up on the mountain where the cell phones have no signal.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

In November each year *our* HTs get used a lot.  Our small town has 2 parades, Veteran's Day & Holiday plus our local election commissioner requests RACES activation to support the election.
In the last year they also get used occasionally around our property of 7.5 acres between my wife & I.  She got her tech last year.
1- "The new UV-82HP is not just a power upgrade, but a combination of all major features of both the UV82 and UV5R series in one package." Miklor
2 - Amazon Day 2016. Don't remember the actual price, but was something like $45 each.  Plus picked up 2 Nagoya NA-24J 16" whips.
They just work.  
Trivia: I swapped the Nagoya antennas back for the original antennas dummy loads during Dayton.  The poorer reception seemed to reduce overloading.  On the other hand we pretty much didn't bother to carry them around because we couldn't hear them over the ambient noise levels.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They just work.  
How is the scanner on the 82 or 82HP? That's what I've used my UV-5R more than anything (all our public service stuff is still on VHF) but the UV-5R's scanning is extreamly slow. That's the only real complaint I have with my UV-5R.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

6. Listen and either hear a lot of nothingness, or a few old guys complaining about their medical problems.
7. Realize there is absolutely no technical or operational challenges in what they are doing and that most VHF/UHF QSOs are intensely boring.

There are exceptions, of course. I suppose there must be some areas where there are hotbeds of interesting characters to talk to on the radio. And the internet linked digital voice stuff is marginally more interesting for a short time until you figure it out, then you realize it's just the internet and you could be doing the same thing with Skype.

View Quote
That timeline is pretty close to my experience with it. Except I don't have any suitable trees so the happily ever after HF part hasn't really coalesced yet.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:06:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Exactly how mine went.

I got out the HT this past week on vacation and really enjoyed it while we had no cell/wifi. Got on the WAN here in PA and talked like I was on HF. Much simpler than stringing antenna's and carrying my stuff around. The experience brought me back around to why I got into ham to begin with.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes the UV-5R was my gateway drug.
Got radio then thought I needed to pass the test.
Took all three tests in on sitting.
Bought some big boy HT's of various flavors.
Bought an HF rig.  Found that I just would not make the time to go to the shack to learn to use it.
Got a mobile with APRS for the car.
Got an HT with APRS.
Got a D-Star HT.
Got a DMR HT.

So still learning DMR.  Better with D-Star.
Have mobile set for cross band repeat an ether have the D-Star or DMR on me when I have time.
Find having the HT I will use more often than going to the shack/dungeon.

I got into ham radio because of my using HT's for autocross racing communication.
Still use FRS for that but also use ham HT for marathon communications.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Not as much as I used to but still use them a lot.  Most of the drop in my activity is lack of friends here I have in it.  When I was stationed in California i had a few motorcycle friends that were into it and used them more often.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:35:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a well loved VX-8
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Last time i used my HT was when danpass made that thread about the new AMSAT

Me and another ham built dual band handheld yagis and tried to reach the bird

I asked my teeny bopper daughter to record it on my phone, since i'm too dumb to remember callsigns

I made one QSO and she failed to record it

Yagi now hangs in garage collecting dust

FT60 In shack collecting dust

Sometimes, i turn it on when severe WX is coming

edit--satellite yagi pic nov.2015

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I have more HT's than any responsible person should have.  I have a drawer full of Baofengs in the garage.  Two more Baofengs attached to my homebrew AmSat rig.  And here in the office/shack I have a VX-8dr, a FT1XD, a FT-60, a TYT UV3R (super tiny dual band), and then a pair of TYT MD-380's.  Call it a baker's dozen.  

I really should stop
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#20]
HF is a lot more fun
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

How is the scanner on the 82 or 82HP? That's what I've used my UV-5R more than anything (all our public service stuff is still on VHF) but the UV-5R's scanning is extreamly slow. That's the only real complaint I have with my UV-5R.
View Quote
Never used it.
I drive some of the local ham nerds nuts.  I treat my HT as an appliance to talk to certain people.
I used chirp to program up repeaters and some simplex freqs.  The repeaters are labeled, as an example, LITHOH, COLOH1, COLOH2, COLOH3.  
One of these days I'll take the time to relabel them for north, east and center Columbus.
The simplex memories are the same. FLOYDS, SAR1, SAR2.  And I usually have a crib sheet printed.  But my last one got used for scratch paper.

To be honest, I need to learn a better way of populating CHIRP so that I can use the same source spreadsheet to program both the V-71 mobiles and the HTs.
And I need to learn a better way of populating that spreadsheet.  I've been using the artscipub repeater resource.  Then I do a manual retype of their info into a spreadsheet to import into chirp.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 4:36:05 PM EDT
[#22]
My HT's get an almost daily usage. Yet another Nano node user, along with a DVAP for D-star.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 7:54:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is spot on.  Ht is usefull, but not a everyday used item.  Only thing we use them for is skywarn in the house.  HF is the fun stuff..   I do talk on my vhf/uhf mobile in the car, and my mobile in the bench everyday..   Get a good one that works well and move on..  ft60 or the such..   Or dig around on craigslist for a used ht..    

Prosise
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:22:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Well, it depends.

When I had a mobile installed in the Van-Never....Now that there is a new van (mobile not yet installed) the HT has come back into favor.

Like most, I have too many-most of them are in boxes in the barn (box of Baosuck, another box for Wouxun, 2 380 DMR still in boxes) down here in the house my Wouxun dual-bander, Kenwood 2m, and CSI DMR sit in chargers waiting for me to use.  The Kenwood is my first choice, followed closely with the Wouxun (for it's UHF) and the DMR rig just smiles as I pass by.

the DMR Dual-Band HT's are interesting, but I haven't decided to spend $200 on an HT yet.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 3:39:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm kind of ruined because once I went to the 16" whip, the FT60 works great indoors but the antenna is so long, I can't just drop it in my pocket and walk around the house with it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I use mine regularly. Used three today, 2 ft-60 and a baofengle that i bought to check out.  ARES RACES events, you gotta have, and not just one.  
major air-show this weekend, with the blue angels.  if you're standing post, you gotta be in contact.  
Comms Up!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#28]
About as much as the mobile radio in my truck gets :p

A couple times a year. Mostly on GMRS during hunting season.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think most stop at 7..... Then again I mostly got it so I'd have more communication options when I'm well outside of cell range.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Rarely.  Mostly only for crossband repeating on the rare occasions I feel like it and a few times for the Arf Echolink net, but Echolink is such a PITA to configure that I just use my phone these days. 
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:00:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Use mine mostly for working an event....
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#32]
First HT was an FT-60, I keep it charged, but don't use it much, as I have another FT-60, VX-170, Kenwood THK2AT, THK20, Wouxun KGUV2D (3, 1 is a 220), Baofeng BFF9V2+ (3), UV-82 (2), UV5R+ (2, Red and Yellow), Puxing PX777 UHF, Weierwei 3288S VHF, Uhh... BF666S, Probably a few I'm forgetting, too.  XYL has 5 HT's, too.

It's like crack, only cheaper, as I haven't gone with any high-end ones, yet...
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#33]
I just used my VX-8DR to hit the ISS via APRS yesterday. It lives in my edc bag and is frequently in my pocket as well. Granted I'm not leaving it on and making contacts, but my nerdy side just likes having it around
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 2:47:06 AM EDT
[#34]
I use mine to transmit once a week for a few minutes to check into a net. The rest of the time I use it, it's monitoring the county dispatch, which I do a few times a week when I am bored and want background noise. Still since I am home more than I am in the car, my handheld radios see more use than my mobile radio.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
I did the Tech & General in one sitting in April. Bought 144/440 rigs for both cars and HTs. I think I finally got them programmed where I want them (other than the Baofeng UV-5R, I'm leaving that for last), no elmer here. There are 2 active repeaters where the same bunch of guys burn up the airwaves for an hour at a time. #6 hit the spot . . . one guy was talking about nothing but his medical problems . . . reminded me of my trip to my MIL's pool at the >55 condo she owned in FLL many years ago. I don't need to listen to that crap.

Plans are for a HF base unit this Fall but need to do some other work and take out some trees before stringing wire.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:19:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Half a dozen Baofeng BF888's and a couple UVB5's are on rotation, one of which is constant use every day.

Our family parrot loves listening to the local repeaters - keeps him entertained.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 3:12:12 PM EDT
[#37]
My regular HT usually doesn't get much use because of the mobile in the truck and another in the shack, though I think it's fixing to become my AMSAT radio. My new dmr HT has been getting use since I got it Saturday because I don't have a dmr mobile (yet) and there's more traffic on it around here.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:52:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Wife and I are both extras. Have 2 Moto HT-1000 16 ch HTs
One in house, the other in barn. Used daily.
We hit the ATV trails frequently and they go along.
If I'm "out back"..50 acres here.. I carry one.
I have 6 repeaters, 2 USCG freqs, 4 simplex and 4 murs freqs programmed in.
The club does an event requiring USCG liaison.
I work with some folks that don't have a ticket hence the MURS.
I wouldn't be without a couple reliable HTs
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 12:35:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Only to mess with walmart and sams
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I did the Tech & General in one sitting in April. Bought 144/440 rigs for both cars and HTs. I think I finally got them programmed where I want them (other than the Baofeng UV-5R, I'm leaving that for last), no elmer here. There are 2 active repeaters where the same bunch of guys burn up the airwaves for an hour at a time. #6 hit the spot . . . one guy was talking about nothing but his medical problems . . . reminded me of my trip to my MIL's pool at the >55 condo she owned in FLL many years ago. I don't need to listen to that crap.

Plans are for a HF base unit this Fall but need to do some other work and take out some trees before stringing wire.
View Quote
Three only music allowed on amateur radio, an organ recital. 
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:50:38 PM EDT
[#41]
I carry my APX 7000 every day in my backpack. I don't always use it though. Just depends on what's going on. I have 8 or so other various Moto portables and some get used every now and then and some I have not turned on in forever. I keep them around for spares, loaners, or whatever.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:40:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Three only music allowed on amateur radio, an organ recital. 
View Quote
LOL, too bad this forum doesn't allow giving rep points!
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:43:23 PM EDT
[#43]
I used mine a few years ago to listen to the weather...

Seriously...I NEVER use them..but then a new cool one gets released..and I want it...so I buy it...and never use it....
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Basically never use my ID-51. I love it, actually puts out a great signal with 5w and a Comet SMA-24. I just never need it since i have a dual bander in my daily driver and an Icom 2200h at the house for 2m. Wouldn't mind using it more, as a matter of fact I bought a Sena bluetooth kit to use on my motorcycle but the damn mic/phone jack doesn't fit right into the ID-51 so it gives me all kinds of electronic issues when I try.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Basically never use my ID-51. I love it, actually puts out a great signal with 5w and a Comet SMA-24. I just never need it since i have a dual bander in my daily driver and an Icom 2200h at the house for 2m. Wouldn't mind using it more, as a matter of fact I bought a Sena bluetooth kit to use on my motorcycle but the damn mic/phone jack doesn't fit right into the ID-51 so it gives me all kinds of electronic issues when I try.
View Quote
Check the fit of the plug it may need to be trimmed somewhat around the edges.  Those SENA SR-10 plugs can have a little bit of molding flash around the pins as well effecting fit.  I also had a few issues with the plug in on the SR-10 side as well after extended motorcycle use.  I found that some di-electric grease helped in that area
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't use my HT much, but it is on my gear bag anytime I am away from cell signal with a printed list of the local repeaters. Mainly hunting trips.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:15:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Been playing with HF lately but the HT's will get more use soon as I am planning to use a mobile radio with cross band repeat on my rural property so I have comms when I am not in the cabin. Cell phones don't work up there, so having the ability to call in to a friend or repeater will be valuable.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for reminding me. I need to give mine it's once-every-three-months recharge.

It's parked under the HF rig "just in case".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top