Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2017 1:04:01 PM EDT
The two hour SKCC Sprint  is this Tuesday night.  It is actually on Wednesday from 0000-0200Z, but for most of us, that translates to Tuesday evening.

Details  here.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Thunderstorms in my area right now.

Thunderstorms suck.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thunderstorms in my area right now.

Thunderstorms suck.
View Quote
YEP IN HOUSTON
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:17:44 PM EDT
[#3]
The thunderstorms were off to the west and not right on top of me, so I decided to give it a go.  20m was in good shape, so I stayed there for the whole sprint.  

I was ready for this one.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:20:11 PM EDT
[#4]
You need a bug to go in that lineup!

By golly, I FINALLY worked the bonus station! Got him in the last couple of minutes on the high end of 80. I was squatting on one frequency on 40, then tried a little spot and stalk on 80 and ran into him.

Worked 34 stations overall.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:30:56 PM EDT
[#5]
You beat me again, Frank.  I mostly called CQ on 20m, and I would get 3 or 4 answers.  But then, nothing for several minutes.  So I would go off and find 1 or 2 stations by doing the S&P thing for a while.  Then, back to calling CQ.  Ended up with 22 stations, and I was pretty happy with that.

I mostly used the Begali, but switched over to the Junker for the last part of the sprint.  It felt like I went from a Chevy to a Rolls Royce.  

I think I may have found my new favorite key.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:04:08 AM EDT
[#6]
The Junkers are excellent keys, and yours looks exceptionally nice as compared to the ones I've seen both online and in the wild. What paint did you use on it? Mine is one of the latter-day keys, probably from East Germany. The WWII models are worth quite a bit more from what I understand, especially if the eagle and Swastika emblem is intact.

I tired 20 for a few minutes with no luck, then switched to 40. I went back to 20 about halfway through the sprint and only worked one station in California. Then I was called by a non-sprint station in Casper, Wyoming and enjoyed a short chat with him. Went back to 40 untill no one responded to my CQs, then hit 80 agasisn and worked the bonus station in the last couple of minutes of the Sprint.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:44:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Junkers are excellent keys, and yours looks exceptionally nice as compared to the ones I've seen both online and in the wild. What paint did you use on it? Mine is one of the latter-day keys, probably from East Germany. The WWII models are worth quite a bit more from what I understand, especially if the eagle and Swastika emblem is intact.
View Quote
I'm pretty sure mine is also a more recent model.  It says D.B.G.M. on one corner, and Junker Honnef/RH on the other.  But it doesn't look like it's ever been used.  It may have even been one of those sold by Morse Express.

Finding matching paint was a challenge.   I bought a couple of different colors of spray paint, but they didn't match.  I had some Krylon, ultra-flat, olive drab left over from another project, but I knew it was too flat, and would not match.  I also had some clear, semi-gloss, spray lacquer left over from when I fixed up that old Philco radio.  So, I tried spraying the clear lacquer over the flat olive drab Krylon on a scrap of wood, and it matched almost perfectly.  I got real lucky.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top