Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2017 5:27:02 PM EDT
I found an old Zenith Trans-Oceanic Royal 1000 today, Zenith's first transistor radio.  Back in the 50's it was a $275 showpiece.  Today it was considerably cheaper.

Now to get a power supply on it and see if it works!

Anybody know anything about them?

Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:44:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice. I have a Royal 7000 and a 3000. I love them.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Have one in the garage owned it since 1969 or so

The first radio broadcast I heard was from y  Quito Ecuador[ :D]

Hook  it up to an outdoor antenna and  standby to be amazed
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:44:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Just using the factory antenna, I was able to pick up a news broadcast from New Zealand last summer with the 3000. I might have to try an external one now just for fun!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#4]
She's-a no go.  

Caps first, then transistors I suppose, though the cost of all new germanium transistors for this thing might surpass my interest in it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an old Sharp shortwave radio from the 60's that I soldered in a SO-239 and run a random wire on the roof of my house. I listen to 75 meter and 40 meter with it because I don't have a HF rig yet
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Very cool! Sorry to hear it's being stubborn.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Very cool, indeed!

There's a pretty active Yahoo group for the Zenith Trans Oceanic radios - "The Trans Oceanic Fanatic" is the group's name.  It's  an excellent source of tech info, along with a library of files relating to the T-O radios.

Also, there's a pretty good book on them - The Zenith Trans-Oceanic, the Royalty of Radios by John Bryant (2nd edition, 2008; ISBN-10: 0764328387) which goes into the history of the T-O and has a lot of invaluable technical info.

I've an old H500 Trans-Oceanic (from the mid-50's), and occasionally muse about the broadcasts it has received and the history and events those broadcasts relayed...
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#8]
That's a nice radio. I have the AM/FM-only version of it.

Note that the transistors are in sockets so they can easily be changed --- just like vacuum tubes.
Do a little voltage tracing before tearing into the components. It could be something as simple as a dirty power switch or broken connection.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice find!  They really made some very cool radios, back in the day.

Rumor has it, that those transistor sockets sometimes build up some corrosion, and if you pull the transistors and clean them up a little, it might help.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm seeing a big fat electrolytic cap that might be my culprit, and it's about the easiest one to change in the whole radio.  

Fingers crossed!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:32:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I liked that station in the 70's.
HCJB 9.745, IIRC.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
...The first radio broadcast I heard was from y  Quito Ecuador[ :D]...
View Quote
The Voice of the Andes, HCJB, "Heralding Christ Jesus's Blessings".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P-z_OqSEFo
HCJB Radio, Ecuador - shortwave interval signal

It, along with Radio Switzerland, was an excellent source of international news. They were about as objective as an international broadcaster could be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqGtYQh7ruQ
Swiss Radio International (DS5)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top