Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2017 12:41:29 PM EDT
I'm going to check out the local field day this weekend. I have been studying for the tech exam. Any idea how much it costs to take the exam?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Testing is not normally done on field day. The ARRL website will list test locations and fees.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#2]
You can find an exam session here.  

Plan on $15 for the exam cost.  Also, check out the "What to bring to an exam session" link.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#3]
While some organizations charge the full $15 allowed, others have chosen to continue to charge the previous $14 fee.  
And there is at least one organization I know of that charges nothing.

The fees don't really get anyone rich.  It's not like VEs go out and have steak and lobster dinners with their families
with this money.  It is used to defray gas and travel expenses, postage, printing costs.

As a VE I am often called to fill out the 3rd VE slot for other teams i surrounding areas.  I travel 40 or 50 miles for this,
one way.  When I am the Contact VE (guy in charge) I have also printed the question and answer sheets, averaging 9
pages per test subject.  And I buy pens and pencils.

When the wannabe ham passes the Tech test, he is allowed to take the General at no additional charge.  If he passes
the General, he can take the Extra at no additional charge.  It is fully possible to take all three for just the single $14
or $15 fee.  Many pass Tech and General both in one sitting.

Half of the money I collect goes to the testing organization, in my case, W5YI.

And sometimes I pay the fee for an eager young wannabe ham.

Just so you know where the money goes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#4]
One addition, if you take Technician and fail, you have to pay the fee again if you want to retake the exam.  Pass Technician and General is a freebie as is Extra if you pass General all on the same day, but any retake is an additional fee as stated above.  We also record any exam you fail so you will not get the same set of questions on a retake that day or another day.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. I didn't expect it to be much. The local field day is going to have VEs giving the exams at the end of the day. I don't expect to have too much trouble with exam. I have been using ham test online and passed the practice test about fifteen times. Hopefully I can meet some people and look at some equipment at the field day.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like you have it all mapped out. Now FO! and do well. Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:21:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like you have it all mapped out. Now FO! and do well. Good luck.
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:10:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Testing is not normally done on field day. The ARRL website will list test locations and fees.
View Quote
Depends on the club. My club has its monthly session for June at the field day site. Has been scheduled that way for many years.  It actually gives clubs some bonus points in the "score" for the weekend as an educational activity from what I have been told.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:56:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks guys. I didn't expect it to be much. The local field day is going to have VEs giving the exams at the end of the day. I don't expect to have too much trouble with exam. I have been using ham test online and passed the practice test about fifteen times. Hopefully I can meet some people and look at some equipment at the field day.
View Quote
You should have no problem at all, and take the General anyway, free and good experience.  You also may pass it, so, go for it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#10]
We charge $15.00.  It all goes up to the ARRL.

Pass the first exam and you get the next one on us.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I paid $10 a couple of months ago.  Where I took mine, if you pass, you can keep taking the next level til you don't.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top