Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2017 6:32:22 PM EDT
I really wasn't looking for anything. Honest.  But I ran across these straight keys on Craigslist, and buying them just seemed like the right thing to do.  Neither one is perfect, but I think they are a good value considering what I paid for them ($125 for both).  I haven't tested either one, since I need to change out the cords, but I'm reasonably confident they will work OK.

The obvious problem with the Navy Flameproof, is the missing cover for the terminals.  Other than that, It seems to be in pretty good nick.  I'll also be replacing the base with something a little nicer.

The Junker looks almost like new under the hood. But, someone has managed to completely unscrew the contact adjustment screw, and lose the detent for the "clicker".  The spring is still there, though, and I think the detent  is similar in design to the one used for the takedown pins on the AR. Or, it might just be a ball bearing type of detent.  Either way, I think I will be able to fix it  so that the clicker will work again.  The adjustment screw itself, operates smooth as silk, and I don't see it moving on it's own, so the key should be useable as is. It also seems as though someone has buffed the paint off of the outside of the cover.  Might have to paint that.

Link Posted: 6/15/2017 6:48:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice.

I'm sorry to say I probably couldn't tell the difference between a $5 victorian SPST momentary and a priceless artifact. 
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#2]
im not into HAMs yet, but those are cool.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate nice keys, have yet to need one, and I, too, don't know a whole lot about them.  I can spot quality, though. 
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty cool
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:13:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Two good ones there!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Those are both excellent keys! And in good shape, too.

Morsex used to sell Junkers. I probably got one of the last ones he had and it cost me a C-note. It will stand up against any of the high-dollar keys on the market as far as sending goes.

The Falmeproof is a good key, too. I think it's where the "Navy Knob" got started.

It confounds me as to why people put short bases on keys. It should extend out at least a half inch or so beyond the edge of the knob to be stable.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:24:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Morsex used to sell Junkers. I probably got one of the last ones he had and it cost me a C-note. It will stand up against any of the high-dollar keys on the market as far as sending goes.
View Quote
That was probably the deal of the century.  I try to check their web site from time to time, to see if they have any other specials.  

I've been practicing with the Begali lately, and I'm starting to get used to it.  It seems to work better for me when I set the contact gap a little tighter than on the N3ZN.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Well here they are, all cleaned up and ready to go.

On the Navy flameproof, I cleaned the contacts, made a new base, built up a new cord, and gave it a good general cleaning.  The spring resistance is adjustable, but it goes from stiff, to damn stiff.  It is a perfectly serviceable key, but just a little too stiff for my taste.

The Junker, on the other hand, has a wonderful feel.  It's easy to see why everyone rates them so highly.  If you ever get a chance to pick one up, do it.  Upon closer inspection, the missing detent for the contact, "clicker" adjustment, appeared to be nothing more than a tiny ball bearing.  I picked up a replacement from McMaster-Carr, and now it works like a champ.  I also replaced the three worn out feet, and built up a new cord for it.  And of course I had to paint the cover, because the bare aluminum was driving me nuts.

I'm pleased with the way they turned out.

Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Very nice looking. I think you'll enjoy the Junker.

ETA: here's some info on Junkers: http://w1tp.com/im9600.htm
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It confounds me as to why people put short bases on keys. It should extend out at least a half inch or so beyond the edge of the knob to be stable.
View Quote
There are two different "schools" as far as to how to hold a key when transmitting. One is European and the other one is US Navy (I think this is how they call it).
The European style use the keys similar to the black one on Kekoa's pictures. It's mounted on the edge of the table and an operator uses the whole arm to articulate the key while holding the knob with a thumb and two fingers. The keys usually have two holes in the back of the base to attach them to the desk.

The US Navy has a different approach and the knob looks different, like the one with the aluminum box cover on the pictures. This is the one you are probably more used to since you mentioned the longer base preference.

I'm sure you know this but I figured I'd mention this anyway.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:15:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That was probably the deal of the century.  I try to check their web site from time to time, to see if they have any other specials.  

I've been practicing with the Begali lately, and I'm starting to get used to it.  It seems to work better for me when I set the contact gap a little tighter than on the N3ZN.
View Quote
Nice find. The keys look nice. I like the black one but both look like they are well built.

What model of Begali did you get? All of their products are like a piece of art. I had a chance to play with some in Dayton and was very pleased. My favorite was the dual paddle with magnetic return. They are butter smooth but have just the right click to comfortably transmit at 40 WPM. I've been really tempted to get one but can't push myself to spend $400.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What model of Begali did you get? All of their products are like a piece of art. I had a chance to play with some in Dayton and was very pleased. My favorite was the dual paddle with magnetic return. They are butter smooth but have just the right click to comfortably transmit at 40 WPM. I've been really tempted to get one but can't push myself to spend $400.
View Quote
Somehow, I've managed to become a key collector. I didn't really plan it that way, but I'm up to 5 straight keys, and 2 paddles.  

My only Begali is the Blade, straight key.  I didn't like the knob that came with it, so I made a new one.

I also have:

Nye Viking Speed-X.... straight key
N3ZN HK.....straight key
N3ZN SL..........single lever paddle
N3ZN SL-Jr.......single lever paddle.

I think I may need help.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:54:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Very nice looking. I think you'll enjoy the Junker.

ETA: here's some info on Junkers: http://w1tp.com/im9600.htm
View Quote
Thanks Frank. Good info there.  

Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Somehow, I've managed to become a key collector. I didn't really plan it that way, but I'm up to 5 straight keys, and 2 paddles.  

My only Begali is the Blade, straight key.  I didn't like the knob that came with it, so I made a new one.
http://www.pbase.com/david_3/image/165693815/original.jpg

I also have:

Nye Viking Speed-X.... straight key
N3ZN HK.....straight key
N3ZN SL..........single lever paddle
N3ZN SL-Jr.......single lever paddle.

I think I may need help.
View Quote
Wow! What a beauty! I love the serial number! Wanna sell it?Probably not. I wouldn't.

Your photography skills are exceptional. What camera and lens do you use? I recently acquired a new Canon D70 digital camera with a set of lens. It takes great pictures but I lack skills and have a lot to learn.

You don't need any help. It's a great hobby. You went from zero to Extra in one test session, if I remember correctly and you are a former professional pilot. You learned CW on your own quickly and have been making DX contacts with an attic antenna. This deserves a lot of respect.

BTW, this is what I use now. The straight key is from a Soviet military mobile unit. It was missing some screws that held the cover and I "temporary" fixed it about a year ago. It works very well and I love the feel of it. The cover needs a little TLC and paint but it's a working key. I use it often but can only do about 20 WPM max with it. The picture was taken with my dumbphone.

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:22:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You don't need any help. It's a great hobby. You went from zero to Extra in one test session, if I remember correctly and you are a former professional pilot. You learned CW on your own quickly and have been making DX contacts with an attic antenna. This deserves a lot of respect.
View Quote
LOL, you give me way too much credit.  I studied for one test at a time, so it took me three test sessions to make Extra.  And even though CW is my favorite mode, I'm still basically a beginner.  I've been at it for five years, and can only rag chew at around 15 wpm, at best.  I do go a little faster (22 wpm) when using a paddle for chasing DX, but there is no way I could rag chew at those speeds.

I thought about selling the Begali at one time, but I'm starting to use it more, and it's growing on me.  I'll probably just keep it now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top