Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2017 10:44:52 PM EDT
My wife's and I's call signs just posted online so I guess its time to get on the air. Tech for now, I plan to upgrade to general in a month or two. We live in Western Washington and spend a good amount of time working and playing in the foothills and mountains of the Cascades. The idea is for each of each of us to have a handheld that goes with us for emergency comms as well as to get familiar with and learn on. I also want a mobile set up that will move between my Jeep JK and the house. I think I will need(without relying on repeaters) a HF setup to talk to other family which are between 30 and 60 miles away but don't know whether to spend the money now and get a do it all setup like a Yaesu FT-857 or get a cheaper dual band for now and add a dedicated HF base station later.

For handhelds I think we will start with Baofeng BF-F9 V2 as an inexpensive entry to learn and figure out how we will most often use a radio. We can get better handhelds later and have these as backups if we find a need to upgrade.

For the mobile/base radio there are a few more options and some of the ones I am considering are the Yaesu FT-8900R, FT7900R, Kenwood TM-V71A, and ICOM ID-4100A or IC-2730A. The FT-8900 and the ID-4100A are probably the front runners but I would love some opinions.

Mounts: I found this package: jeep radio and antenna mount which is cheap but as far as I know should work?

Antennas: I am pretty lost here and looking at all the options has not helped me understand why I would choose one over the other. On a radio like the FT-8900 I assume I would need 2 antennas to best cover the wide freq ranges? All I know is ill need a spring base because of offroad and forest service road travel.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:19:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Kenwood TM-V71A and either a dual band (2 meter/440) or single band (2 meter) antenna. The yaesu 8900 is a great rig; but unless you plan on running 6 meter and 10 meter fm, it's a waste. I run a Kenwood TM-V71A and a comet SBB 25, 5/8 wave, 2 meter antenna. the antenna has a 4 db gain and really gets out there. I have a Yaesu FTM 400dr  in the shack. It's a great radio and serves it's purpose. You can't go wrong with a good dual band radio.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#2]
congrats on the Tickets

I like the 71a, a lot it will serve you well, and the Cross Band repeater can be handy 'in the woods'.  

I've had great luck with my Diamond Super Gainer 7500 and Comet SBB5 for mobile use.  Larsen is another great brand!

we've discussed this a few times in our shopping shows (ham radio podcast) here
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#3]
What kind of Jeep? From what I've read it can be a real PITA to get a good ground for the antenna on the spare tire carrier on a Wrangler, plus the tire and wheel can do odd things to the swr.  I ended up mounting the antenna on mine on the edge of the hood.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 12:24:21 PM EDT
[#4]
30-60 miles can be done on VHF depending on the terrain. Typically with dedicated yagis at each end. Of course if there is a big hill in the way it may not work.
It may not be ideal for HF NVIS which still has a small skip zone.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for the Kenwood V71A.  I have three of them, base and mobile.  Great radio, intutitive to use and program, don't even need software to program.  Crossband repear capability and easy data interface.

Each of my vehicles has a Larsen 2/70 NMO mount antenna.  Relatively small and unobtrusive, but works well for me.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What kind of Jeep? From what I've read it can be a real PITA to get a good ground for the antenna on the spare tire carrier on a Wrangler, plus the tire and wheel can do odd things to the swr.  I ended up mounting the antenna on mine on the edge of the hood.
View Quote
2015 4 door wrangler, another option I have found that gets it partially above the tire is this: antenna mount
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#7]
The only Baofeng to buy is the UV-B5, do not buy a UV-5R or derivative. The -B5 is actually a somewhat decent radio.

Do not buy a multimode "all in one" for a VHF/UHF FM radio. If you want an all-in-one, the FT991 is the one to buy. VHF SSB is a reasonable, if overlooked, option for the communications needs you describe and is the real application for the "all in one".

An HF radio plus a separate VHF/UHF FM radio gives you a lot more flexibility and is much easier on the user cycle. Using an "all in one" for basic VHF/UHF FM operation is a PITA, plus prevents you from having simultaneous HF operation.

Yes HF communications on the low bands can work on the distances you describe. You really want to find any possible alternative to that however. The only people who suggest using HF for family emergency communications are people who haven't tried it. Just because something is technically possible does not mean it will work reliably, conveniently, or pleasantly. HF operation is orders of magnitude more complex than VHF/UHF FM operation.

As far as mobile/base FM radios, part of your calculus needs to be what the actual frequency needs are in your area, and your desired usage. Some dual band radios, like the TM-V71A, can simultaneously monitor two frequencies at the same time. Some of those can even monitor two frequencies on the same band at the same time. Others can only monitor one frequency at a time regardless of which band it's in.

On your mobile antenna, you mention a spring base. What will be best will depend on whether the vehicle encounters low hanging branches or other obstructions, or whether you are just dealing with rough conditions, vibration etc. Either way I would strongly recommend that you look to the Land Mobile Radio market for antennas (from companies like Maxrad/PC Tel, Larsen, or even Tram/Browning) versus the Amateur radio specific market antennas (from companies like Comet, Diamond, Opek, Jetstream). Amateur marketed antennas tend to be very stiff, so as to stand rigid against airflow while driving. This results in optimum signal pattern from the antenna, as the expense of fragility. The LMR type antennas use much more flexible whips so that the antennas can flex, and have optional springs.  Keep in mind that LMR antennas are generally described/specified by their tunable frequencies, not their coverage. As an example a Larsen 5/8 wave for VHF that is advertised for 144-174MHz WILL NOT cover that entire range, you cut the whip to tune it where you want it within that range.

On the FT-8900, it really depends on what frequency bands you genuinely use. I am a big proponent of "alternative" amateur band usage, but also try to be realistic especially with those new to the amateur world. You do need a General class license to operate on 10m FM, and usage tends to be quite limited as there is only one simplex frequency and a handful of repeater pairs. 10m repeaters tend to be used for fun to exploit E skip openings, more than local communications. 6m FM also tends to be very limited with repeaters very few and far between, and limited simplex operation. That might be good if you want privacy, but bad if you want to actually talk to anyone else. 6m does have a little bit of a following for simplex operation in the backcountry, so if it's active in your neck of the woods that might be something to consider.

LMR type 5/8 wave antennas for VHF High Band, when cut for 2m will generally resonate somewhere in the 6m band, so will function as a 6m/2m dual band, if that is of interest. Whatever you do, avoid the specialty 10m/6m/2m/70cm giant antennas marketed for amateur use, those will not hold up to rough off-road service.

You may think you want a setup to move between your vehicle and your house but you don't. Get both. Just plan on it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 12:57:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info, I'll wait on anything HF for a while, at least until i've gotten used to VHF/UHF and have the general. Realistically it looks a dual band will be more than enough for now. I attempted to find some local repeater info and band plans. It looks like a lot of stuff in both 144 and 440 with some SAR/ARES stuff way up there in the 1100-1300 range, I think those may be DSTAR.

The concern with an antenna is both very rough roads and low hanging branches as they routinely scrape the hood then up and over the roof.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The concern with an antenna is both very rough roads and low hanging branches as they routinely scrape the hood then up and over the roof.
View Quote
Ok these are the two you should look at:

Larsen NMO-2/70SH

Sti-Co Flexi Whip

I would put a little thought into reinforcing the mounting base also.

ETA: The above were for a roof mount.

If you're doing the spare tire mount like in the photo, you need to do a 1/2 wave type antenna.

If you need dual band (2m/440) the Tram 1180 is a decent option. If you really want it to be flexible, get a Larsen spring to put on it, the Larsen springs are the most flexible.

If you only need 2m, something like the BR-159 would be better. It's pretty trivial to change antennas on an NMO mount also, so might be worth having a "trail" antenna and an "around town" antenna.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

2015 4 door wrangler, another option I have found that gets it partially above the tire is this: antenna mount
View Quote
I can understand wanting to mount it on the back to try and protect it from trees and other stuff.  I hadn't thought about that when I mounted the antenna on my Jeep.  I try to be careful,  but you're going it hit it on something.  It will be interesting to see how you end up mounting it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top