Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2017 3:01:46 PM EDT
I let my ARRL/QST expire a few years ago, and other than this forum, have been out of the loop.

I haven't played on HF in months.

had to remove the Ft-7800 from my work mobile, so I haven't heard much

Removed my TARHEEL from the vehicle in march, been taking my wife to the city hospital ( parking garage )

big contest this weekend, but I had to work yesterday, and slept in today

zero motivation LOL
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#1]
all depends on what you would be interested in....we did a handful of shows reporting at the end of each day.  

Nothing Big Announced from the Big 3, yet there is Still a Great deal of innovation if you know where to look.

I invite you to give them a listen. Jeremy and George did a great job digging in and getting some good info found Here
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#2]
One thing I noticed was that Alinco announced Amateur market digital radios in both NXDN and DMR formats. Which might be an indicator of interesting developments in the digital voice world.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 1:23:56 PM EDT
[#3]
1/2 pound burgers. 
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 2:00:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Not so much as new but has risen to a level usefulness and dropped to a level of affordability to be interesting (IMNSHO) is AREDN Amateur Radio Emergency Digital Network
I'd suggest starting with the Hamvention presentation Building a High Speed AUXCOMM Data Network

I couldn't find Apache Labs, there was a Gigaparts booth in that spot.  I had hoped for a replacement for the 10E in the kilobuck price range to be announced.  No such luck.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I didn't go to Dayton, but the best thing I've seen come out of it so far is Rob Sherwood's presentation:

Contest University Session 8 -- Disruptive Technologies, How they Change our Hobby - NC0B

The most amazing statistic is at 30:30 into the presentation: 10,000 7300's sold in less than 10 months, compared to a total sales over 10 years of only 8000 Elecraft K series. And it's nearly outperforming $13,000 multi-up-conversion superhet's.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:09:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
10,000 7300's sold in less than 10 months
View Quote
Just MTC at Dayton was selling them by the truckload.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:13:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
One thing I noticed was that Alinco announced Amateur market digital radios in both NXDN and DMR formats. Which might be an indicator of interesting developments in the digital voice world.
View Quote
That'll be interesting. I could see getting some of the ol' duffers around here to play with NXDN due to the railroads. Get a radio that could do double duty provided Alinco doesn't do anything crazy like restrict the receiver to just the 2M band.

As far as I know, there is NO underlying amateur infrastructure for NXDN like what exists for D-Star, DMR, and P25.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:42:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That'll be interesting. I could see getting some of the ol' duffers around here to play with NXDN due to the railroads. Get a radio that could do double duty provided Alinco doesn't do anything crazy like restrict the receiver to just the 2M band.

As far as I know, there is NO underlying amateur infrastructure for NXDN like what exists for D-Star, DMR, and P25.
View Quote
There are some amateur repeaters, but less than other digital modes.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:08:38 PM EDT
[#9]
The newest thing was decent food options on site.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:24:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The newest thing was decent food options on site.
View Quote
It's a fairgrounds, there were a lot of fairgrounds food vendors there. And at fair (no pun intended) pricing vs "convention" pricing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top