Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2017 4:00:44 PM EDT
Like the title says, I tested out my backyard Field Day setup today.

Details:
KX3
PowerFilm F16-1800 30W Foldable Solar Panel
QRP Ranger 125Wh LiFePO4 battery, solar charge controller, volt and amp meter
LNR EndFedz antenna
Asus Win10 notebook
SignaLink USB

WSJT-X on 20m with 3w output through the EndFedz wire antenna pretty much covered the continental US and into Canada and Alaska.  5w got me Greece @ -23dB on JT9.  I kinda cheated by tapping into my cable entrance panel's spare input to be able to select any of my permanent antennas with the patch panel. For the real Field Day, I'll use my crappie pole (thanks km) and LNR EFT-10/20/40 Trail Friendly antenna.

Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#1]

1) Can't imagine trying to do FD with QRP

2) Wondering about the solar panels up on the roof of the shelter. High temperatures reduce efficiency... wondering if on the ground would be cooler, or if any difference would be enough to matter.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:01:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool setup! Were you hiding in the hammock or is it a large antenna counterpoise?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

2) Wondering about the solar panels up on the roof of the shelter. High temperatures reduce efficiency... wondering if on the ground would be cooler, or if any difference would be enough to matter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

We're doing QRP for FD this year. Did really well with QRP at WFD in January.

Our plan is to start out at 5 watts and a few hours in if we decide it's a bust, we'll jump up to 100w. Doesn't change our exchange, just how we submit our score at the end. That's how we did WFD and we decided that our QSO rate at QRP was fine. If the WFD scores ever get published, we'll be able to decide if that was a good idea or not

I've only ever done PSK and RTTY for FD digital. Is WSJT a popular FD mode?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:09:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
There must be other fools using QRP for FD so that should give me some chance!  

The high temp variable is something I hadn't thought of.  The main reason it's up top is to keep the dog from running over it!  I could definitely put it on the grass if it becomes a problem.  Wonder how to tell if it's too hot?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Cool setup! Were you hiding in the hammock or is it a large antenna counterpoise?
View Quote
Thanks, Gyprat!  If I was in the hammock, you'd see a large sag right where my butt is!  
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think every mode is popular for FD.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#7]
In 2016, overall #2 and #3 were QRP battery powered:

in 2015, overall #2, #3, and #4 were QRP battery powered:

Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool. I'm looking for alternatives to PSK. I hate that mode in general, but it seems that so many people think FD is the perfect time to learn how to use it...
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice setup.

Radio...check, computer...check, solar panel...check, sun shade....check,  easy chair...check,  dog...check.  Missing....ice chest and cold beverages.

But I want an air conditioner too, so I'm going to operate from my shack on backup battery power again (I'm such a wuss).  I used the K2 last year (CW), and had pretty good results for my casual operation.  Kind of fun seeing my call sign on the results page of the QST magazine.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:48:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Cool. I'm looking for alternatives to PSK. I hate that mode in general, but it seems that so many people think FD is the perfect time to learn how to use it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used it quite a bit for WFD, my first time using PSK (or any digital mode)
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
As long as you didn't leave it on vox and let your AOL "You've got mail!" message play every 30 seconds, you're ahead of 90% of the other stations
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
As long as you didn't leave it on vox and let your AOL "You've got mail!" message play every 30 seconds, you're ahead of 90% of the other stations
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
None of the above. Actually thought it worked really well, especially at like 3am when everyone else is asleep (and I was too tired to talk).
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:15:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
None of the above. Actually thought it worked really well, especially at like 3am when everyone else is asleep (and I was too tired to talk).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Biggest issues tend to be people sending Windows sounds through their interface and people getting stuck in TX mode. Plus running 100 watts, distorted audio, and full ALC splattering all over half the subband.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:26:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
people getting stuck in TX mode.
View Quote
I did that a couple times when typing manually vs using macros
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:48:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
people getting stuck in TX mode.
That was the other thing, people doing their regular "Radio is, PC is, antenna is, weather is, ...." macros. Really throws a wrench into the QSO rate!
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
A few from my last few winter field days... Its not exactly QRP, but close enough... It works fine if conditions are good enough.

Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice setup.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#18]
If the solar panel is too hot then put it in the shade! (I actually heard someone say that!)
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#19]
 I guess a solar panel that wasn't efficient in the heat wouldn't be worth much, huh?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Did you make a thread about that entrance panel? I seem to remember it but can't find it (not that I looked very hard ). Going to be doing something similar soon.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:48:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Did you make a thread about that entrance panel? I seem to remember it but can't find it (not that I looked very hard ). Going to be doing something similar soon.
View Quote
Here it is...  

ARCHIVED THREAD - New KF7P Cable Entrance Panel Arrived

ETA:  If you look here,  KF7P Metalwerks Entrance Panels,  the second pic down is my install.  I met Chris, the owner, at Hamvention this year.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Here it is...  

ARCHIVED THREAD - New KF7P Cable Entrance Panel Arrived

ETA:  If you look here,  KF7P Metalworks Entrance Panels,  the second pic down is my install.
View Quote
Thanks! I think my shack is going to be on the second floor, so now I get to decide if I want to deal with running a conduit up the outside of the house, or route it down through the basement and up through the wall
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If the solar panel is too hot then put it in the shade! (I actually heard someone say that!)
View Quote
Well, they loose efficiency when hot...
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They lose even more in the shade.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The high temp variable is something I hadn't thought of.  The main reason it's up top is to keep the dog from running over it!  I could definitely put it on the grass if it becomes a problem.  Wonder how to tell if it's too hot?
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They lose even more in the shade.  
View Quote
Arguably more
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
The cooler the better, get some ice packs to put under em.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:40:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Radio...check, computer...check, solar panel...check, sun shade....check,  easy chair...check,  dog...check.
View Quote
Saturated backyard complete with crawfish...check  

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Saturated backyard complete with crawfish...check  

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m17/BigDaddy0004/20170528_112337_zpsyubfpb2e.jpg
View Quote
Now you just need some corn, sausages, and potatoes!
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:41:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:47:42 AM EDT
[#31]
That antenna has high SWR...Squirrel Wave Ratio!  

Link Posted: 5/31/2017 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
You rang?  

I had high temp problems at FD 2 years ago as the Nomad battery pack has a temp safety circuit.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Hi BD,
Does the solar panel have enough juice to run a small cooling fan as well as charging the battery? The next idea would be to make a wooden mount for the panel based on the sun's angle at your latitude and perhaps make it possible to be rotated as well. Combining the mount with a small fan to cool it from the back side brings the two ideas together. Whether the dag will ignore it is out of the scope of my expertise. hth
Rob
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#34]
BD, have you experienced any moisture related issues since the connectors are not sealed?
Electrical rubber splicing tape works very well. It's not UV resistant and should be covered with some vinyl electrical tape. It's easier to remove than the sticky "coax seal".
I can send you a roll of each if you want to try it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#35]
@ km, Elcope, and Harlikwin...  Well, it seems I'm in good company with all the QRP operators!    The QRP Ranger has a thermal overload also, but I haven't got it that hot yet.

@ Rob...  I don't know if my 30w PowerFilm solar panel will run a fan as well as charge the radio battery.  I'll have to try that out.  Thanks.

@ Gyprat...  The solar panel is just up temporarily for Field Day and experimenting, so it won't see any water, I hope!  If you're talking about the coax connections in the entrance panel, yes, I suppose I should seal them.  Even though they're in the stainless box, there could be moisture ingress.  No problems so far that I can see or detect in about 18 months of operation.  TU for the tape offer, but I think I have some MOX-Tape Self Fusing Silicone Tape from another project.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:21:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I usually do a quick wrap of the silicone tape on exposed connectors if there is any chance of rain in the forecast for Field Day.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:27:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
@ km, Elcope, and Harlikwin...  Well, it seems I'm in good company with all the QRP operators!    The QRP Ranger has a thermal overload also, but I haven't got it that hot yet.

@ Rob...  I don't know if my 30w PowerFilm solar panel will run a fan as well as charge the radio battery.  I'll have to try that out.  Thanks.

@ Gyprat...  The solar panel is just up temporarily for Field Day and experimenting, so it won't see any water, I hope!  If you're talking about the coax connections in the entrance panel, yes, I suppose I should seal them.  Even though they're in the stainless box, there could be moisture ingress.  No problems so far that I can see or detect in about 18 months of operation.  TU for the tape offer, but I think I have some MOX-Tape Self Fusing Silicone Tape from another project.
View Quote
FWIW, Field Day rules only require that the transmitter be on emergency power to claim the credit (computers must be emergency powered if they are used to control an SDR or run digital modes, but not for logging). So there's no reason your FD setup can't run a fan or even an air conditioner on commercial power.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
QRP is moar funner... Though with conditions some days sucking pretty bad I'm sadly doing alot less of it.

So the rule of thumb is to test your solar panels if you can, the seller rating is under lab conditions and you will never see full power out of them. a 30W panel might produce 20W in an ideal case, and probably more like 15W on average. So at a guess you will see a 1-1.5A charge rate at 12V.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:50:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So the rule of thumb is to test your solar panels if you can, the seller rating is under lab conditions and you will never see full power out of them. a 30W panel might produce 20W in an ideal case, and probably more like 15W on average. So at a guess you will see a 1-1.5A charge rate at 12V.
View Quote
You must have done this before!    Here's an output test of my PowerFilm 30w panel, in full sun.

Specs for F16-1800 30w foldable solar panel from PowerFilm site
Operating Voltage: 15.4V
Power: 30W
Current: 1.8A
Folded: 12.75" x 7" (324mm x 178mm)
Unfolded: 47" x 25.25" (1194mm x 641mm)
Weight: 1.8 lb (0.80 kg)
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 3:14:28 PM EDT
[#40]
And while I was at it, I used a solar charge control from Buddipole to top off a Zippy 4S1P 4200MAh LiFePO4 battery.  Remember when we talked about the expense and weight of the QRP Ranger?
This is an attempt to get cheaper and lighter.

Link Posted: 6/1/2017 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#41]
I use a military SPACES setup, 120W worth of "solar" I figure its enough to actually charge stuff at a decent rate. I'm looking for more CIGS panels but people want outrageous amounts for them...

I also use a fair amount of small Goal Zero panels backpacking to keep things charged, and they generally work less well than advertised.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top