Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2017 12:46:03 AM EDT
Am looking for a new mobile 2m/dual band for the car. 75cm is a dead zone in the north Dallas area.

What I'm looking for:
>= 50 watts
detachable faceplate
really really would like the mic to plug into the detachable faceplate so that I have only one wire to run.
OTD price <$300.00

Does this unicorn exist?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:29:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Only a few radios have microphone plugs on their remote face.

ALINCO DR-735T. $295. I thin the mic plugs into the faceplate but check before buying.

ALINCO DR-635T $289 (cross band repeat). I love their round 8 pin connectors. Everyone else uses the crappy RJ-45 connectors.

Both are under $300 at Ham Radio Outlet (they usually have the best prices, great service and free shipping).

Also look at a Yeasu FT-7900R. It's under $300 but has no mic connector on faceplate. Most Yeasu rigs include a faceplate separation kit. Check before buying thou.

Kenwood TM-V71a is nice too but it's $335 and they don't include a separation kit (expensive)

YAESU FTM-100DR is a new radio with digital or FM modes. It's very nice and only $309.

Several days ago they had huge Dayton Hamvention discounts on many radios. FT8900 quad band was only $279
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:58:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I have to vote for the Alinco 635 to get under $300 with mic on face...for $50 more the 735 is a nice looking unit with a BIG display...

Where my friend Gyprat and I will disagree is where to shop....I would call Richard at MTCradio.com first!  Phone 903-737-0773 He'll match or beat anyone's price-tell'em Cale sent you
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:12:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I was looking at the Icom ic-2730 earlier this week at hro. Its slightly over your price at $325 after rebate, but it does have the mic jack on the head and body. Seperation cable included.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone still use the mobile? I listened to the San Antonio area when going through there and never heard any activity on the repeaters. 
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does anyone still use the mobile? I listened to the San Antonio area when going through there and never heard any activity on the repeaters. 
View Quote
Yep but I hardly ever use repeaters except my own cross-bnd repeater, although there is a lot of repeater activity here in the Carolinas. I've lived in 4 states and traveled a lot around the country. I have never experienced as much ham radio activity as we have here in the Carolinas (Upstate area).

Also, there a group of friends, including myself, who hang around several 2 meter simplex frequencies all the time to BS. We all live within a 20 mile area. I always keep my cross-band repeater on and have a small HT with me anywhere I go on our property.
Sometimes we talk about politics. This had us banned from a repeater in Charlotte because several liberal democrats could not tolerate freedom of speech. LOL.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have to vote for the Alinco 635 to get under $300 with mic on face...for $50 more the 735 is a nice looking unit with a BIG display...

Where my friend Gyprat and I will disagree is where to shop....I would call Richard at MTCradio.com first!  Phone 903-737-0773 He'll match or beat anyone's price-tell'em Cale sent you
View Quote
HRO offers a free, 2 day shipping. I'd buy from MTC if they offered the same. I'm an equal opportunity offender.  But seriously, if this helps you in any way, I will buy from them next time I need something. I called them 2 years ago, when I was ready to buy a new HF rig but they did not have that model in stock. I would have bought it from them if their price was reasonable. $10-$15 shipping would not make a noticeable dent on a $2,500 radio.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#7]
It really does not help me at all.  I get paid a tiny flat rate every month for show mentions...They are just top notch peeps and that's why I invited them to be a part of the show.

They do offer free shipping over $99 (most orders) and from TX it's usually 3 days instead of the next day from ATL HRO.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I've tried almost all of them, and keep coming back to the simple FT-7800/7900

Affordable

Easy to operate

Easy is good at 70mph

I might be a bit biased, because I worked ISS with my friends 7900, while driving the the rifle range to shoot Garands.

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:...

Also look at a Yeasu FT-7900R. It's under $300 but has no mic connector on faceplate. Most Yeasu rigs include a faceplate separation kit. Check before buying thou.
View Quote
the mic attaches to the faceplate on the FT-7800 & FT-7900

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:29:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Another suggestion for the FT-7900 just installed in my truck yesterday has the mic on the head that separates from the body.  

unrelated, Derek45 is that white out on the knobs or something else??? I like that little touch.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Another suggestion for the FT-7900 just installed in my truck yesterday has the mic on the head that separates from the body.  

unrelated, Derek45 is that white out on the knobs or something else??? I like that little touch.
View Quote
I use a paint pen

fine white

Get them at a local craft store my daughter likes

Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Yaesu 7900 at Ham Radio Outlet is $250.  It would be perfect for this role.  I have a 7800 in my truck and a 7900 at home.

Heck, if you wanted dual band simultaneous monitoring and crossband repeat capability, the 8900 is $305 after rebate.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

the mic attaches to the faceplate on the FT-7800 & FT-7900

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2275/IMG-3728-218323.JPG
View Quote
We have a winner then, and it's under $300.
I was somehow under impression that the mic was connected to the radio's body only. I might have thought of a Kenwood.
BTW, Yaesu has the best and most ergonomic microphones. I hate the microphone on my TM-V71A. Icom's microphone cords are way too stiff, especially in cold weather.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top