Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2017 1:38:17 PM EDT
I am a new ham (a little over a year). I would like to participate in our State's QSO party this year and would like to include my children. May my son(s) transmit and participate using my call sign under my direct supervision and control (sitting next to me at all times)? Seems like this would be a great way to get them involved in the hobby and encourage them to get their license although they are a little young. Anyone have any experience doing this or can pint me to the appropriate resource?  Thanks
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure. You can do that. It's very common. Just make sure your son follows the rules and observes the bandplan for your license class. You will be the control operator and must be present when they transmit.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, he just has to use your call and stay in your band restrictions.

You may want to adjust the mic gain and processor if his voice isn't as loud and also as the kids tend not to have as broad an audio output as us adults.

Young boys add a dB or 2...YLs add 6dB or so!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies. I'm really looking forward to this. Gonna try to make a special QSL card for the event. Good Father-Son time !
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:12:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Make him a phonetic cheat-sheet for the callsign so he can just look at it.

Add a script of things he should say for various common requests from callers (his name, your state, city, grid, county, his name in phonetics, your name in phonetics) that you can just point at the correct response and he can read it.  

If you do this on a dry erase you can add in the RST numbers for him and he won't have to understand and estimate those...though in my experience they will ask about it pretty quickly.

Be sure he understands there is no real pressure on him, he can just wing it if the caller asks for his favorite hobby or requests naval gunfire.

The looser they get the more fun they have with it.

I have gotten my daughter on a few SOTA activations, though I am not sure she will go on any new ones without serious bribery.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:30:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You will be the control operator and must be present when they transmit.
View Quote
Pretty sure control operator stuff is on the various license tests, but it's this.

The only exception is that he cannot communicate with another country with which the US does not have a third-party traffic agreement, but that probably won't be an issue.

Best solution is for him to get licensed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top