Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2017 3:59:30 PM EDT
I plan to get several two way radios to use at race tracks.

I work corners at several tracks, mostly around the SE, so I want to have my own personal radio.  Other folks are doing it and the regions allow it if it's a quality radio that's not gonna lock up the repeater or channel.  (not all the tracks have a repeater).

So, do I need to get a license for these radios.  They will belong to me, not the local regions, who I imagine already have their own license if one is required.

If I do need a license, who in SE GA would be a good person to contact or what do I need to do.

I already have my radios picked out so this is not about which to buy.

And oh, if I need a license, do I need one for each radio?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Are the radio transmitter and receiver or just receive?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
From the original post:

I plan to get several two way radios to use at race tracks.
They will be for use ONLY at the tracks, not for the traditional "ham" role.

I know that receive only or scanners do not require a license.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I would recommend getting a business itinerant license. You can then select where you want to be able to use the license (from just a few miles around a certain spot to nation wide) and mode (analog, P25, DMR, etc.)

It costs a few hundred bucks but it gives you a lot more freedom and anyone you want to be able to use the radios will be able to do so.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#4]
You say Two Way, but don't mention a kind. 
You mention some tracks have repeaters, but don't say on what frequencies.

Step one is to tell us what frequencies the track repeaters work on. (this assumes you care about using the track repeaters - if you only care about the being able to talk to the few people you hand your radios to, that's a different thing))
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Ham radio can not be used for commercial or business purposes.

You can go with FRS/GMRS radios that will provide up to a mile comms distance under average conditions. GMRS requires a license but there is no exam. You simply buy a license that covers you and your immediate family and any GMRS radios you use.

If you require a wider coverage and repeaters, your best choice will be to buy or lease radios from your local radio shop. They will provide you with a business license and program the radios. All you need to do is keep the radios charged. Obviously it will cost you money.
Contact your local radio shop for details. You can also call "BuyTwoWayRadios.com" and they will recommend what you need based on your needs. They may also provide you with radios and a license.

Also, if only several radios are required, check out MURS radios. They have a bit more range than an average GMRS radio and the channels are not as busy either. Motorola makes reasonably priced, good quality MURS radios. No license is required.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:28:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Frequencies are licensed, not radio equipment per se.

If you are talking to workers at the track, using their frequency, then that organization will (should) have a license for their frequency. You just need their permission to be on their system, along with the technical details of how the radios should be programmed.

If you want radios to talk amongst yourselves, and on a separate frequency than anyone else, then you will either need to get a licensed LMR frequency, or use a no-license frequency/radio service such as FRS or MURS.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you are talking to workers at the track, using their frequency, then that organization will (should) have a license for their frequency. You just need their permission to be on their system, along with the technical details of how the radios should be programmed.
View Quote
This, exactly. I road raced motorcycles for eight years, and because I had a small (i.e. less expensive) program (only three races a weekend), I also made time to volunteer as a corner worker. I brought my own radio and headset as I have plenty of them to bring and this is precisely how it works.

However, that said, and with all "i's" dotted and all "t's" now crossed for the CoC, most tracks I've been at use itinerant frequencies, are not licensed, and don't respect the power limit rules on those frequencies. In short, they are like nearly every itinerant, GMRS or MURS frequency user: banging away at 5W on the portables, and 25 or 50W on the base station. With a big antenna on the base station, no less. So if you decide to simply do whatever you want chances are you will be just fine

P.S. racing wasn't nearly as scary as corner-working. Most of those guys are too scared to get on a motorcycle and race, but are perfectly comfortable having bikes shoot by with inches to spare at 100+ MPH. I think they are crazy and would much rather be racing within inches at much lower relative speeds!
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you want radios to talk amongst yourselves, and on a separate frequency than anyone else, then you will either need to get a licensed LMR frequency, or use a no-license frequency/radio service such as FRS or MURS.
View Quote
I want to be able to use my own radio or radios while working corners so this is the info I am looking for.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:13:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This, exactly. I road raced motorcycles for eight years, and because I had a small (i.e. less expensive) program (only three races a weekend), I also made time to volunteer as a corner worker. I brought my own radio and headset as I have plenty of them to bring and this is precisely how it works.

However, that said, and with all "i's" dotted and all "t's" now crossed for the CoC, most tracks I've been at use itinerant frequencies, are not licensed, and don't respect the power limit rules on those frequencies. In short, they are like nearly every itinerant, GMRS or MURS frequency user: banging away at 5W on the portables, and 25 or 50W on the base station. With a big antenna on the base station, no less. So if you decide to simply do whatever you want chances are you will be just fine

P.S. racing wasn't nearly as scary as corner-working. Most of those guys are too scared to get on a motorcycle and race, but are perfectly comfortable having bikes shoot by with inches to spare at 100+ MPH. I think they are crazy and would much rather be racing within inches at much lower relative speeds!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I work with various SCCA regions around the SE and even out to TX and they are all properly licensed and all that good stuff.

Don't work bikes much, but it's a hoot having a prototype come by your corner station at speeds approaching 190, depending on the track.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top