Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2017 4:41:25 PM EDT
Not sure how much of the ham radio market ICM supplied, but this will probably affect the crystals available for transmitter/receiver/transceiver projects and kits. Their ads did appear regularily in QST and other electronics magazines.

International Crystal Manufacturing (ICM) of Oklahoma City has announced that it will be going out of business, probably at the end of May. Royden Freeland Jr., W5EMH, son of the company’s founder, posted a letter this week on the ICM website.

“We will be honoring all orders that we have already taken and will be able to fill a limited amount of new orders dependent upon raw materials available,” Freeland said. “We would like to thank you for your past business. The success of ICM over the previous 66 years has been largely due to its amazing customer base.”...
View Quote
LINK

ICM website link
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Rumor on repeater builder is a Japanese company is looking to fill the hole.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:37:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Very sad to hear this, but have expected it for a long time.

I've known Royden for decades, and have purchased a lot of crystals over the years for business and personal use.

The ladies who take orders have always been knowledgeable, polite and helpful. The products are superb, vs. outfits like JAN, etc.

This said, now we can buy PROGRAMMABLE "Crystals" as low power consumption oscillators for a couple $ and the programmer for abt $200 from Digikey.

We can build up to a 200mhz [approx.] osc to a precision of 7 or 8 places IIRC, that consumes a few ma. at 3 or 5 vdc, with great accuracy and stability for most applications ---in a couple minutes  --and a few $.

I've wondered for a long time if Royden was able to create a sufficient critical mass to enjoy the rest of his life in style.

Life goes on...
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:03:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rumor on repeater builder is a Japanese company is looking to fill the hole.
View Quote
I finally went with a UK company to get my old rock rigs on the air, hope to have the custom xtals early next month.

There is also a place in CZ i heard about...

The big problem with those programmable oscillatiors in alot of closed box applications (like old milpacks) is that you have ratfuck the wiring to get them to work due to the power requirement. If you are just doing a general build, then no worries, you can plan for it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#4]
What they are in OKC? I think a field trip is in order
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I finally went with a UK company to get my old rock rigs on the air, hope to have the custom xtals early next month.

There is also a place in CZ i heard about...

The big problem with those programmable oscillatiors in alot of closed box applications (like old milpacks) is that you have ratfuck the wiring to get them to work due to the power requirement. If you are just doing a general build, then no worries, you can plan for it.
View Quote
Rat-F???  

+ supply at a few ma...

Ground...

Signal out at ~ nice +10dbm or better....

DONE!!!

What's so difficult abt that???

Easy-Peasy!

No waiting for a month or two for a UK supplier...
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Rat-F???  

+ supply at a few ma...

Ground...

Signal out at ~ nice +10dbm or better....

DONE!!!

What's so difficult abt that???

Easy-Peasy!

No waiting for a month or two for a UK supplier...
View Quote
Sure if its on a new design...

Where are you gonna tap the right voltage off a 40 year old mil rig? I guess it could be done, but its a total ratfuck from the standpoint of collectability and engineering.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:53:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sure if its on a new design...

Where are you gonna tap the right voltage off a 40 year old mil rig? I guess it could be done, but its a total ratfuck from the standpoint of collectability and engineering.
View Quote
I can't believe this stupidity...

Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I can't believe this stupidity...

View Quote
Please enlighten me then...
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Filament or any low voltage circuit, rectifier and capacitor (if needed), and three-terminal regulator like this. They're also made in smaller TO-92 case designs.

Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:37:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not surprised and often wonder how these companies to stay in business these days. It's hard to maintain a sufficient volume of sales for a product that only a few people buy in small, "individually wrapped" quantities.
I remember having a heck of a time trying to find 10 crystals in the 8 Mhz range that would resonate within +/- 15 Hz, for my home brew direct conversion HF radio. I had to manually adjust the small (3/8" x 1/4") crystal's resonance frequency to make them all match. What a pain it was and I ruined a few in the process. This was 30 years ago. Very few people build radios anymore and most components are made in Asia anyway.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Filament or any low voltage circuit, rectifier and capacitor (if needed), and three-terminal regulator like this. They're also made in smaller TO-92 case designs.

http://static.rapidonline.com/catalogueimages/Product/S51-0116P01WL.jpg
View Quote
Fair enough, but the typical problem is also finding enough room to cram that in there. Compared to HAM rigs of the same era those are cavernous by comparison.

I actually became aware of this option when I was looking to re-crystal my TRC-77 and PRC-64's. But it looked a bit too untested IMO, and I hate making any sort of unnecessary mods to historically collectible radios.

I was thinking if someone made an integrated unit which combined the PS along with this that could just be plugged in and battery powered then maybe there would be small market for it. Then again HAMs for the most part are some of the cheapest bastards I know...  

I also wonder how these things handle stray RF and being "tuned" into a circuit.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Fair enough, but the typical problem is also finding enough room to cram that in there. Compared to HAM rigs of the same era those are cavernous by comparison.

I actually became aware of this option when I was looking to re-crystal my TRC-77 and PRC-64's. But it looked a bit too untested IMO, and I hate making any sort of unnecessary mods to historically collectible radios.

I was thinking if someone made an integrated unit which combined the PS along with this that could just be plugged in and battery powered then maybe there would be small market for it. Then again HAMs for the most part are some of the cheapest bastards I know...  

I also wonder how these things handle stray RF and being "tuned" into a circuit.
View Quote
You are correct. Military rigs can be tough to work on. They are designed to be tough and compact, with very little room to spare. Everything is thoroughly shielded. Modifications often require a "major surgery" that may definitely affect it's resale and collection value.
Stray RF should not be a big issue if you follow the common practices like shielding, grounding, decoupling, RF blocking (chokes, capacitors) etc.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You are correct. Military rigs can be tough to work on. They are designed to be tough and compact, with very little room to spare. Everything is thoroughly shielded. Modifications often require a "major surgery" that may definitely affect it's resale and collection value.
Stray RF should not be a big issue if you follow the common practices like shielding, grounding, decoupling, RF blocking (chokes, capacitors) etc.
View Quote
I meant the TRC-77 by design has a ton of stray RF floating around and I was wondering how these "Chip" oscillators would handle that. But the TRC is "roomy" when compared to the 64's I have...
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:25:54 AM EDT
[#14]
LOL!

A few of you aren't up to speed...

The programmable osc's are TINY! [3 general package sizes]

I could likely build one up WITH regulator and bypass caps in the size of an HC-49/U crystal package.

Maybe even fit it inside the can...

In less than an hour ---incl programming...

In the morning...

With essentially NO significant mod's to the radio...

Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:23:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, we're way behind. We are dinosaurs is today's world. Modern guys guys use smartphones while we waste time and money with "grandpa's ham radios". LOL. A couple of years ago I was approached by a guy who asked me what the big antenna on my truck was for. He thought I was a balloon chaser (WTF???). I told him it was a ham radio. He asked if it was a CB. I told him it was very similar but a lot more advanced and with a much longer range. He looked at me funny and asked why the heck I was messing with that antique junk when everyone has smartphones........

BTW, we were talking about fitting power supplies and regulators which may not fit properly and also diminish collection value of an old radio. Technically he could gut it and slap an SDR in there which takes only a fraction of space. Good luck making it as tough and resilient as most military radios are thou.
For many collectors, adding a modern replacement part to an old radio is like installing a Chevy fuel injected engine into a 1938 Ford.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:42:28 PM EDT
[#16]
People are really going to loose it when they learn modern military radios are SDRs....
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:58:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
LOL!

A few of you aren't up to speed...

The programmable osc's are TINY! [3 general package sizes]

I could likely build one up WITH regulator and bypass caps in the size of an HC-49/U crystal package.

Maybe even fit it inside the can...

In less than an hour ---incl programming...

In the morning...

With essentially NO significant mod's to the radio...

View Quote
Do it then, Like I said, you have a market for it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:59:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yes, we're way behind. We are dinosaurs is today's world. Modern guys guys use smartphones while we waste time and money with "grandpa's ham radios". LOL. A couple of years ago I was approached by a guy who asked me what the big antenna on my truck was for. He thought I was a balloon chaser (WTF???). I told him it was a ham radio. He asked if it was a CB. I told him it was very similar but a lot more advanced and with a much longer range. He looked at me funny and asked why the heck I was messing with that antique junk when everyone has smartphones........

BTW, we were talking about fitting power supplies and regulators which may not fit properly and also diminish collection value of an old radio. Technically he could gut it and slap an SDR in there which takes only a fraction of space. Good luck making it as tough and resilient as most military radios are thou.
For many collectors, adding a modern replacement part to an old radio is like installing a Chevy fuel injected engine into a 1938 Ford.
View Quote
At least one person gets it...

And as it turns out I do have a few of them new-fangled SDR mil-radios too.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:35:55 AM EDT
[#19]
"Not sure how much of the ham radio market ICM supplied, but this will probably affect the crystals available for transmitter/receiver/transceiver projects and kits. Their ads did appear regularily in QST and other electronics magazines."

LOL!

The original topic --quoted above, is about being able to obtain crystals in a timely way, Champ!
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:19:10 PM EDT
[#20]
[b]Originally Posted By

LOL!

The original topic --quoted above, is about being able to obtain crystals in a timely way, Champ!
View Quote
Classy... real class...
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#21]
not tech
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top