Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2017 7:36:32 PM EDT
I am going on a backpacking trip later this year in Colorado with a bunch of family members. I have a couple Baofeng radios. I don't have my ham license (yet) but probably won't have it by then either.

I have read there is an emergency frequency that aircraft monitor. We won't be doing anything dangerous but I like to be prepared. I am fully aware that I can't transmit on ham bands without a license but would only do so in an emergency if absolutely required to.

Is there a frequency I could upload into my radio that might be capable of summoning help in an emergency situation?  

I also know about PLBs but just interested in emergency frequencies at the moment.

Thanks for any information.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#1]
not really. You would have to program the radio for any repeaters that you might be able to reach. VHF and UHF are line of sight mostly. So if you are in a valley with peaks all around, you likely will not be able to reach any repeaters unless there is one on a mountain top with line of sight.

Get your general and take an HF radio.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#2]
First - this is a bad idea. If you're concerned, buy or rent a PLB, or look into a Delorme or SPOT unit. Secondarily
get a license and see if there's repeaters in the area, but realistically that would be a plan B, not a plan A (PLB is
plan A.)

Here's why it's a bad idea:

The aviation emergency frequency is 121.5 MHz, but it's AM, not FM.

So if you're thinking you can plug this into a Baofeng or whatever that is FM-only and it'll work, it won't. They literally
won't hear you, but will see a carrier and not much else.

Second, while an emergency lets you get away with breaking laws, you're combining using an unlicensed transmitter
with using an emergency frequency meant for a completely different purpose (aviation) and trying to get search and
rescue resources allocated using it. On top of this, there's no position information sent and this isn't a 121.5 MHz ELT beacon
transmitting continuously, they can't even use the stuff that's onboard the S&R aircraft equipped for ELT
(also FYI the 121.5 MHz beacons have been replaced with 406 MHz GPS ones, so they're on the outs in a major way) to find you without your helping.

Basically this isn't how you go about getting rescued, even if you were in an airplane crash, so basically what you're suggesting is a big bag of fail.

PLBs can be rented for about $3 a day and will connect you with the right S&R people when activated.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:14:35 PM EDT
[#3]
121.5 is the emergency air band frequency. Many pilots monitor it on their second radio. I always did when I flew a single Cessna.

I don't know which Baofeng you have. Most Baofengs don't have an ability to transmit or receive on that frequency. Many other handheld radios have an ability to receive AM signals on the air band but can't transmit.
You can purchase a decent air band radio for under $200. I believe some even have a VOR or CDI navigation aid feature.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Good information. Thank you to all who posted. Very informative.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't have my ham license (yet) but probably won't have it by then either.
View Quote
Any person of average intelligence can get his/her ham radio license with 1 week of training and a weekend of cramming. Go for the test!
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:25:45 PM EDT
[#6]
See my "cheap PLB" thread here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/689014_Cheap-PLBs.html

My batteries just came in, so I'll be posting some assembly photos in that thread as soon as I can get a chance to spend a quality hour or two in the lab.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Ran across this:
Spot™ Gen3 Satellite GPS Messenger Personal Tracker
1/2 off = $75    
Looks like monthly is $15 or $149 a year ...

Nick
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#8]
baofengs on  VHF airband, ....what a soup sandwich that would be

OP, get your license and learn to use it

buying an HT and not getting a license, is like getting a CCW without learning to shoot

Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any person of average intelligence can get his/her ham radio license with 1 week of training and a weekend of cramming. Go for the test!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
...and then don't forget to actually learn how to use your equipment properly, too.  I've seen lots of people pass the test, and then not have a clue what input/output frequencies are, PL tones, etc.  I took an 8 week class (1 day a week) before getting my tech license (wife and I both took it, she was the one who actually signed us up).  Was very informative and I ended up being good friends with the guy teaching the course.  He would fit in well on Arfcom.    But, still, I remember being green, and it took a little while to get my head wrapped around things.  9 years later, I'm the go-to person for radio programming, packet radio, computer/radio interfacing, and actually programming a baofeng from the front panel. 
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I will second the SPOT idea

A friend of mine uses it and it works very well. It will also sent 'I am here and am OK' messages

The best part is that it has GPS and sends location.

I was thinking of getting one for hunting.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:49:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Hell I studied 6 hrs for the Extra test and went and took it. Got 1 wrong.  All you have to do is gurss the right answer that you have already seen while studying the questions and the right answers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top