Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2017 3:16:11 PM EDT
I'm a newb to the hobby so I don't really have any knowledge to say whether there will be good deals around or not. I really would like to get an antenna analyzer and am looking at the RigExpert AA-600. What I'm trying to figure out is whether to just buy it now and hope I don't kick myself later for missing a good deal or wait till mid-May. I really would like to get some measurements done so I can get on the air on HF.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm a newb to the hobby so I don't really have any knowledge to say whether there will be good deals around or not. I really would like to get an antenna analyzer and am looking at the RigExpert AA-600. What I'm trying to figure out is whether to just buy it now and hope I don't kick myself later for missing a good deal or wait till mid-May. I really would like to get some measurements done so I can get on the air on HF.
View Quote

Just realize if you buy a rigexpert, and you need warranty work, you will need to send it to the Ukraine.

I went with a MFJ-259C for $229 at HRO because of that, unless you buy it from one engineering company that says that will service it in the US, but I could find no further info about that,
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:26:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a rig expert. Pretty happy with it. Usually best to wait till hamvention. There are usually specials and online deals during this time.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just realize if you buy a rigexpert, and you need warranty work, you will need to send it to the Ukraine.

I went with a MFJ-259C for $229 at HRO because of that, unless you buy it from one engineering company that says that will service it in the US, but I could find no further info about that,
View Quote
I agree. An MFJ 259 is all you need for tuning antennas, unless you want the fancy graphs to present to someone. Keep it simple.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:02:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I picked up an AA-170 a while back. Great for HF and 2m. Can't do 440, but the 2m antennas I've tuned are usually quite usable on 440. YMMV

Yes - wait for the deals. If you need something RFN, look at local ham clubs and see if anyone is willing to help you get something tuned until you can get your own.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a mini vna tiny. $500 1mhz-3ghz and can also test filters and LNAs. Some don't like it has to be connected to a computer/phone but I do because I have a 10ft USB cable that lets me remotely mount the VNA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top