Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2017 8:34:06 AM EDT
I bought a Workman off felabay.
It's OK on 2m, 440 it's a No-go.
What's cheap and will at least get me in the ballpark on SWR meters?
I'd prefer standard so-239's as connectors.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought this one from MFJ when I first started.   Does HF thru UHF.  $110'ish.

But, if you want a little cheaper, this one will work, too.

Guess one that goes up into UHF range isn't as cheap as a vhf meter.  I stopped playing with swr meters years ago, and got myself an antenna analyzer.  It's worth it.  Buy once, cry once, and you don't have to hook a radio up to measure swr.  And, they generally will do a lot more.

Or if you want just vhf/uhf, you can try this one from china.  It may work well.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:24:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one of those workman meters. I never could figure out where the knob was supposed to be set when measuring wattage. It does appear to work well for 2m but I never tried it on 440.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:17:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I use the earlier version of the MFJ-873: https://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-873

It doesn't have the cross needle meter, but only takes a couple of seconds to calibrate it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I use a Telewave 44a. It's a solid meter. The Bird 43 is also a really good choice. If you search around you can find good deals on them. I paid $250 for my 44a and you can send them in for about $60 (they give a ham discount) and have it calibrated if need be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top