Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2017 2:34:14 AM EDT
Oh great and knowledgeable ARFCOMM community,

I am in need of a new H/T and honestly, I don't know where to start.  I'm a bit overwhelmed.  Although I am not a licensed Ham, yet, my test date is 5-11 and I'm planning on the Technician and General at the same time.  I've been playing with a UV5R (listen only) for a few months and I've come to realize that, while it'll suffice for a little while, it's not what I want.

It is lacking in several departments but the big thing I worry about is durability.  I've already returned one because the speaker mic plug on the radio wouldn't maintain contacts with the mic. The Battery attachment seems fragile, and ... well, it just feels cheap.  It's a good learning tool and an ok backup, but it's not going to cut it in the real world.

So, can you guys recommend me a H/T based on the following criteria?  I'd like:

Something relatively rugged.  The Icom IC V8 seems like it is built like the proverbial brick outhouse but it lacks stuff
Dual band.  2m/70cm
I'd really like 108-136MhZ receive.  For whatever reason, aviation audio puts me in my happy place
FM broadcast bands would be nice but not necessary
I'd like it to be a little larger than the typical Baofeng type radio.  I've got big hands and the fingers to go with it.  Tiny buttons and I do not get along
Chirp supported

Does all this exist in a single package, or am I going to have to start cutting "wants"

Thanks for the help and for all the info I've gleaned from this forum

KA
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:58:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been happy with my FT-60. Definitely larger and more rugged than a Baofeng. It generally meets your specs, and can be had for 160 new or 100 used.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:12:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Yaesu FT-60.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:59:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll go with the "all of the  above posters".
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:22:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Also concur on the FT-60.  Had mine for years now.  Original battery even still works, but I bought another to freshen it up.  The buttons are still a bit small if you have hot dog fingers, but I don't think you're going to find much out there that's any different.  The only other option I can point you in the direction of is the Alinco DJ-500T.  It's buttons are just a bit larger, it is cheaper, and does seem to have decent reviews, but I have no first hand experience.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:00:17 AM EDT
[#5]
As above..   Keep your eye on your local craigslist, you can find some good deals.  If they are a ham and you can confirm a callsign you typically get honest people.  Make sure you see the unit perform before you buy.  That being said you might look torwards a mobile unit instead of ht.  You are limited with 5w and a mobile can be used as a base or in the car.  Keep the uv5r as it works and you can use as a backup.   Or like I did, gift it to a new ham.  They work, don't worry about what it is.  It is a whole lot less painfull to loose a uv5r than a 150 dollar ht.  If you have not already replaced the rubber ducky antenna pick up one of the nagoya 771 for the radio which is about 9 dollars on ebay.  Just make sure it is not a clone or copy nagoya....  But seriously consider the mobile radio.....    

Prosise
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:13:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As above..   Keep your eye on your local craigslist, you can find some good deals.  If they are a ham and you can confirm a callsign you typically get honest people.  Make sure you see the unit perform before you buy.  That being said you might look torwards a mobile unit instead of ht.  You are limited with 5w and a mobile can be used as a base or in the car.  Keep the uv5r as it works and you can use as a backup.   Or like I did, gift it to a new ham.  They work, don't worry about what it is.  It is a whole lot less painfull to loose a uv5r than a 150 dollar ht.  If you have not already replaced the rubber ducky antenna pick up one of the nagoya 771 for the radio which is about 9 dollars on ebay.  Just make sure it is not a clone or copy nagoya....  But seriously consider the mobile radio.....    

Prosise
View Quote
The mobile is next on my list.  I plan to put one in the truck with the ability to bring it in to the shop and man cave at will.  But, handheld first.  Thanks for all the replies.  Great info.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:13:43 AM EDT
[#7]
on my Start Here Page I recommend the FT60 for the new ham...but I won't own one because I want to listen to both bands at the same time w/o scanning the presets.  
I got messed up when I first became a ham, with the then 'cheap' HT Wouxun 2D and its ability monitor both bands.  
Since I'm now a few years in and have my own UHF repeater I still like to listen to the local clubs 2m and my 440 machine.

so 2 things happen.  I either carry with me (mobile not on my person) my TK20 2m and my TYT380 UHF/DMR handies.....or I toss in the Wouxun dual bander.  (still no rig in my new van)

and with that said, if 440 is dead in your AO, you may be happy with the FT60 or new FT65.  The mentioned Alinco is a feature rich HT for the $$ and make sure you check out the IC-T70 from ICOM for kicks.

MTC has them all listed here

YMMV/FWIW/Beans

ETA: Mobile Shack = AK-47 box
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:25:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I can agree on the FT-60, though I don't like the single pin speaker/mic connector.  I have two of those radios, they're solid, and you can program with chirp.

Now, Anytone 3208UVHT's seem to be good.  I bought one from Ed @ Import Communications at Dayton, it was the $50 model.  Well built, has USEFUL functions on the keypad, and it's really designed for ham use, not commercial use.  Still has wideband tx/rx and WFM RX for broadcast radio.  No flashlight.    Uses kenwood 2 pin mics.  Can't program it with chirp, that's the only flaw, but hopefully the guys working on chirp will take in a loaner radio and get 'r done.

The TX audio on this radio is a LOT better than the UV5R, and even the BF-F9HP and UV-82. 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#9]
The Anyone looks interesting, but it lacks the Aviation band Rx. that I'd really like.

Have there been any reported problems with the Yaesu 1 pin connector for the speaker mic?  I know for a fact that the Baofeng radio's are weak in this area.

Keep the replies coming, these are great.

ka
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The mobile is next on my list.  I plan to put one in the truck with the ability to bring it in to the shop and man cave at will.  But, handheld first.  Thanks for all the replies.  Great info.
View Quote
I vote mobile first. Even a basic 2M radio and a mag mount.  $150 tops if you buy new online and on sale.  You will use it alot more than an HT in your car since you will be able to actually reach and hear.  

HT's are very limited and you will be left wanting more as you have found with the UV5.   
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Anyone looks interesting, but it lacks the Aviation band Rx. that I'd really like.

Have there been any reported problems with the Yaesu 1 pin connector for the speaker mic?  I know for a fact that the Baofeng radio's are weak in this area.

Keep the replies coming, these are great.

ka
View Quote
I'm sure you can damage the connector on a Yaesu if you stick a nail in there but generally they don't fail if used properly. You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:29:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought a Kenwood TH-F6 when I got started.

Analog only.

Been around FOREVER.

Costs a lot for an analog.

Has 220.

Has scan groups and can link scan groups on the fly.  I have groups for TULSA, OKLAHOMA, EMCOMM, and PREP/FRS/MURS.

True dual VFO.

One VFO is a wideband covering basically the entire spectrum.

Easy to program from the keypad which, in hanging around and learning from the local ARES guys, is important.  For example, if a repeater goes down and they go simplex or set up an ad-hoc repeater people need to be able to set it up / change PL, etc without Chirp.  I only use the software now to make backups of the radio.

We have a local repeater here with three inputs, all with different PL.  A few months I was north of town and decided to make a new entry for the local input node.  It was easy to change the PL and store the new entry in a new location and give it a unique name.

I'm waiting on Kenwood to release an updated version with drop-in charging.  There are after market batteries that already do this.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 5:02:38 PM EDT
[#13]
My daily carry is an Icom 51a plus anniversary that lives in my backpack everywhere I go. It has since been replaced by the Plus 2

The aviation RX was critical for me too. It sucks that our G1000 is only AM, but at least I can listen. If need be we have other radios that can do FM.

It is even better than chirp IMO as far as programming goes. You take the SD card out of the radio and put it in a computer and use the free Icom software. The software is easy to use and lets you modify lots of settings in addition to just loading freqs.

Since I carry it everywhere and often don't have 115 AC or 12DC easily available I use this usb to 12v cable and an adapter from this kit to charge it off my laptop or USB battery.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 12:05:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I was looking at the Yaesu FT-65.  It's much like the FT-60, rugged dual band (single receive), HT.  It's at the same price point as the FT-60 is as well.  When talking to the Yaesu folks at a recent event, they stated that the FT-65 is not a direct replacement for the FT-60.  

What I like with the FT-65 is that it has a 1950 mAh (2500mAh optional) Li-ion battery and has a single knob on the top.  The FT-60 has a 1400mAH Ni-MH battery.  When playing with the FT-60 I thought the channel select knob spun to easily (detentes weren't pronounced enough) and it was too easy to bump the squelch adjustment when also adjusting volume.  My FT-170 has a menu driven squelch that was easy enough to adjust and I never really missed not having a squelch knob.  The FT-60 though does have an option for a AA battery pack that you can fill with NiMH rechargeables.  I'd image the FT-65 will have a AA battery pack at some point but it doesn't have one right now.  The FT-65 does not have AM receive for the airband.  In fact, it doesn't appear to tune to that section.  Although it does have broadcast FM should you want that.  I did like the way the FT-65 felt in my hand though.

So while I was about ready to walk over to the HRO booth and pick up an FT-65, I learned that the FT-70 is due out this next month.  The 70 has a similar layout to the 65, just a bit shorter but a bit thicker, but the 70 is Fusion digital compatible.  And it's only $30 more.    And while the FT-65 doesn't do airband, the FT-70 claims that it will with 108-580 MHz continuous reception.  Currently the FT-70 also lacks a AA battery pack and it (like the FT-60 nad 65) uses a single pin external speaker/mic plug.  Although there is a single to dual pin pigtail available.  

Although it would have been nice to see Yaesu set the FT-65 and 70 up so they would use the same accessories.  

As to the FT-60, there was a recent ad in the equipment exchange here that had one for sale with some accessories.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I have 2200, 2300, and 2500mAh NiMH batteries for the FT-60, and well, anything else that uses the FNB-83 battery pack.  There are also Li-Ion batteries available, 2200mAh, for about $25-40 each (some come with a plug in charger).

I agree the squelch is easily moved, the encoder probably could be a little stiffer, and I've had the radio turn on in my bag before, too.  But, hell, it's a solid radio, everything responds fast on it, and I'm gonna hang onto the two I have. 
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:24:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Ended up with the FT-1XD from HRO.  It's $50 over the cost of the FT-70 but it brings quite a bit more to the table including APRS and GPS position exchange between others in your group which could come in handy if I can convince my hunting buddy to spring for one.  It also sports dual independent receivers should I ever get around to trying to point my Elk Antenna at the sky.  It offers 500 KHz to 999 MHz Rx (AM/FM/Airband/"SW Radio") and 2m/440 FM xmit.  

Stupid 6 months no interest purchase option didn't make it easy to turn down...
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:47:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Man, every time I narrow it down, you guys offer different options, better options, aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  

Keep em coming.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top