Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2017 10:00:59 PM EDT
Trying to work Montenegro tonight.

First call, forgot to tune.

Start to send call and stare at the amp and tuner as they show high SWR...doh!

Get 3 characters in and the KPA shouts "Dumba$$!!!" and red lights me, but go ahead and finish the call at the 20W the 7300 has on it.

Get 599 report...laugh...return 599 and in the log.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:11:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I once worked Japan on a light bulb instead of antenna. This was in the late 80's, when 10m band was wide open. Using a light bulb was a poor man's way to tune a homebrew tube radio's output. I noticed the bulb blinking but decided to finish the QSO since the Japanese station gave me a 59 report.

CW is amazing. It works where all other modes fail miserably.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice catch!

CW is definitely my favorite mode.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Definitely! With Cycle 24 on the downhill side, try the lower end of 40 after sundown. Heck, do it with 5 Watts.

This month's SKCC Sprint was QRP. The only station I was able to work on 20 was in France.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#4]
It really is a bad a$$ at making contacts.  Besides the software digital modes it really is fun for making quick contacts.  Fast dx is spoiling me and have to slow down and have a qso every now and then.   Good story, it is cool making contacts on low power.   Thanks for sharing..    

Prosise
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I so need/want to find the time (and aptitude) to learn CW. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top