Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2017 6:56:47 PM EDT
OK a lot of us, I'm sure, do the ARES, Skywarn, ECOMM thing. That's "easy" to do when you are local. Now here is the question, if your local LE, Fire, EMS all use conventional VHF/UHF etc. you can use a conventional scanner, heck even program a HT or two to scan those frequencies. Now when you travel outside your local area, it can be for ECOMM, business, leisure etc., where LE, Fire and EMS are all using APCO 25 phase 1 or 2, or a variety of the other trunked systems out there, what scanner, if you are using one, do you use to monitor those frequencies. Why that scanner, I'm looking at/for a handheld. I travel a LOT and outside my local area most of the public service agencies are digital of on kind or another.
THANKS in advance,
Sarge
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#1]
There are some great scanners in the home patrol line and whistler has some too. They are pricey though.

I use an RTL-SDR and combination of software like DSD plus, sdr sharp, and unitrunker.

Here was my setup last week in the hotel to listen to the local base p25 p1 network.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice looking set-up would work great in the hotel room. However I want something that I can use mobile thus the reason I'm looking at a handheld, can't modify a company vehicle in any way, I'm lucky they let me put a VERY small dual band mag mount on the roof for one of my HT's
THANKS,
Sarge
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Then go with either a

Home patrol

or

Whistler TRX 1

It is going to depend on what you are trying to listen to in your area. We have had a few of the home patrol 436s but had to pay for a lot of upgrades, I am not sure if they are included now or not. The whistler is working hard on NXDN but I dont think they have it working all the way yet. If it were me I would go with the TRX 1.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Hoping I can catch Richard in a good mood at Hamvention (I want a High Power Scanner-all in one rig!)
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#5]
@mancow is a scanner SME.  dude is very knowledgeable.

Happy Easter to all.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:06:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Personally I would go with the BCD436HP. You can use GPS if wanted and it handles simulcast systems very well. To me it's the most well rounded solution.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the replies! See my newest post about ID-51A help and you'll understand why this post isn't good for me anymore!
THANKS ALL,
Sarge
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Until I saw your picture I was going to recommend an Epson V600.  It does a really good job with my negatives, prints and slides
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:16:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Uniden 436hp is what you seek. Just enter the zip code where you are and select which services you want to monitor. Easy peasy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:25:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Another vote for the Uniden BCD436HP
I travel around the country with it, and it is SOOOOO easy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#11]
*Sending packet message to home TNC with notes...*
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top