Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2017 9:07:28 AM EDT
So...

I have recently acquired some rock controlled radios... However i'm having some issues finding proper rocks for them... Here is the deal, both radios require that the RX frequency crystals be 455 Khz higher than the TX crystals. Finding TX rocks isn't too bad since they aren't shifted, i.e. 7.030 however finding a corresponding RX crystal i.e. (7.030+.455 =7.485) is proving to be difficult.  I would like a few rocks for 40m, one set for 60m and maybe one set for 80m (no permanent antenna for 60m or 80m at this point)

Second, since these are green rock boxes, I would prefer these in the following configs, FT243, CR-78/u and CR-89/u formats, however, I might be able to hockmere something with other formats.

Any thoughts? Help?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes Internal crystal. in OK they custom ground crystals. Its were I buy mine and not a lot of money
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#2]
www.af4k.com
All shapes, sizes, and frequencies, even the old FT-243 for the boatanchors of the '50s, '60s, & early '70s.

Most of the FT-243 types do have modern crystals stuffed inside them and may not work with some transmitters, especially the ones that use a high level oscillator like a 6V6, 6AG7, or 6CL6.
http://www.expandedspectrumsystems.com/prod4.html
I haven't dealt with these folks, but they do have a stock of popular frequencies.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:30:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes Internal crystal. in OK they custom ground crystals. Its were I buy mine and not a lot of money
View Quote
Never heard of them, got a link? Or do you mean ICM (International Crystal Manufactring), if its ICM, they are going out of business as we speak, I've got an email in with them but have not heard back...
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:32:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
www.af4k.com
All shapes, sizes, and frequencies, even the old FT-243 for the boatanchors of the '50s, '60s, & early '70s.

Most of the FT-243 types do have modern crystals stuffed inside them and may not work with some transmitters, especially the ones that use a high level oscillator like a 6V6, 6AG7, or 6CL6.
http://www.expandedspectrumsystems.com/prod4.html
I haven't dealt with these folks, but they do have a stock of popular frequencies.
View Quote
Yeah I emailed Af4k, they might have the right TX crystals since those are common, but no one seems to have anything like the RX crystals I need...

That and I just fired up the TRC-77 after not using it for 6 months, and while RX works, TX seems not to work, so YAY, old radios.
I've got a PRC-64 on the way as well, which uses even weirder crystsals and is the main reason I'm asking.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#5]
It can be done but 455 kHz will require removing the existing silver lining and grinding the crystal to reduce it's thickness.
It's a very delicate procedure. The crystal can be ground with a fine sandpaper on a perfectly flat piece of glass. You will need two thin perfectly flat and polished stainless steel plates. The ground and cleaned crystal goes in between the plates. Obviously the crystal should be ground in small increments and resonant frequency must be checked.
You can bring it very close but the final check must be done where the crystal is placed in the circuit it was intended for and allowed to stay on for several hours to get to operating temperature.

There are other ways to change a resonant frequency but usually it only bring F up or down by several kHz. The procedures involve removing some silver coating with a pensil eraser to increase frequency or carefully rubbing it with a stick of 40/60 solder wire to decrease the resonant frequency.
Some silver plating can also be removed (to raise F) by electro-chemical process. A crystal is placed in a glass of water and connected to a positive lead of a 12V battery by an alligator clip. A siver coated wire, connected to a negative lead is placed in water too. Several seconds is all it requires to raise resonant frequency by several kHz.
Other methods involve iodine tincture and a used up fixator liquid from a B&W protography. This will only change F by around 1-30 Khz for a ~5 Mhz crystal. I can describe it if anyone is interested.
This is what we had to do with homebrew radios when I got into this hobby 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#6]
If you're an ARRL member, go to their archive search and search for "crystal grinding". You'll get about 3 pages of articles telling how to do it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you're an ARRL member, go to their archive search and search for "crystal grinding". You'll get about 3 pages of articles telling how to do it.
View Quote
I thik rolling my own crystals might be a bit more hardcore than i'm into. I had no idea it could even be done actually.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Thought I remembered a YouTube video about this...

Grinding crystals,FT-243, Etching Crystals, Grinding FT243 crystals, Etching radio crystals
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Jan crystals is still manufacturing. Bomar is out too…for those that didn't know already.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:26:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I have nothing productive to add, but grinding or etching rocks for radio parts is definitely some next level shit.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:25:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't know if this would serve you, but I was recently reading N2HTTs interesting blog, and he had been experimenting with a "VXO" (variable crystal oscillator). Mounting several of the modern HC49 crystals in parallel, he uses an inductor and a trimmer cap to "pull" the frequency in the desired direction. There's not a lot of movement available, but there might be something there to assist you.

Here's a post referring to a VXO: https://n2htt.net/2016/11/26/wiggle-room/

Also this one: https://n2htt.net/2017/01/09/another-radio-another-vxo/

Very interesting blog, by the way! Cheers...   Jim
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:25:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ne ver heard of them, got a link? Or do you mean ICM (International Crystal Manufactring), if its ICM, they are going out of business as we speak, I've got an email in with them but have not heard back...
View Quote
 Yea...started drinking early And that sux there out of business
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:31:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:13:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Well I've got a possibility with Bomar crystals for custom crystals depending on the cost. And I hunted around on ebay and few guys have some receive freqs I can use that are "sorta" close to TX for the TRC-77 which does have a BFO, so hopefully I can use that...
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well I've got a possibility with Bomar crystals for custom crystals depending on the cost. And I hunted around on ebay and few guys have some receive freqs I can use that are "sorta" close to TX for the TRC-77 which does have a BFO, so hopefully I can use that...
View Quote
They told me (and about 20 other folks I know) nearly 3 years ago that they had ceased crystal oscillator production for radios.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:17:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have nothing productive to add, but grinding or etching rocks for radio parts is definitely some next level shit.
View Quote
In case you've never seen this..

Glad to hear Jan is still in business. Ordered many rocks from them as well as Bomar back in the "beeper" days.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:28:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

In case you've never seen this..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b--FKHCFjOM

Glad to hear Jan is still in business. Ordered many rocks from them as well as Bomar back in the "beeper" days.
View Quote
Jan is in business, but not doing crystals, I have no idea what their business is these days.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:29:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They told me (and about 20 other folks I know) nearly 3 years ago that they had ceased crystal oscillator production for radios.
View Quote
Got me, so far I got 1 email back asking for details, it may turn out that my order is too small though or something like that. However, someone is making crystals for the guys selling them on ebay.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Crystal Clear goes into depth about making crystals for WWII, including the Nazis trying to sabotage the operation.

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#20]
ROFL.....very first thing that came to mind. That said, a VERY interesting thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top