Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2017 3:37:42 PM EDT
Guy calling from Michigan, I was really lucky to get in as the 2nd person on a massive pileup. How do I log it, he was in the US, so I have to do something different I'm sure.

Call sign:
W8/SP4WRF
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 4:10:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Very common, A Polish guy operating from the US. Log him as you hear his call - W8/SP4WRF -  or as SP4WRF , QTH - Michigan
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 4:15:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I use eqsl, there is no space for qth. I'm guessing that he will never get notified that I logged him if I do the w8/ call.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I honenstly don't know. I use a paper log only and would not do it any other way.

BTW, you can operate from Poland as SP/your call, without having to apply for any permits. They are a part of reciprocal agreement. I have done it from 3 different countries.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 4:26:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Thats cool. I may be going to Canada this summer for business and need to see what I have to do to operate up there.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Call sign:
W8/SP4WRF
View Quote

If that was the call sign he was using, then that is almost certainly the call sign he will put in his log. And that is the call sign I would put in my log.

You see it all the time with US hams operating out of other countries (such as PJ2/KB5***), and it always seems to match up in LoTW.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#6]
You kog his call exactly as you heard him say it.  He'll do the same.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thats cool. I may be going to Canada this summer for business and need to see what I have to do to operate up there.
View Quote
Canada is easy. No special permit needed. Just bring your radio with you.

Link

Quote: "An automatic reciprocal agreement exists between the US and Canada, so there is no need to apply for a permit. Simply sign your US call followed by a slant bar and the Canadian letter/number identifier"

More information for operating in Europe: CEPT Agreement

Additional info for international operating permits ad requirements: LINK
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Perhaps not adding any value to this discussion, but...DXLabs DXKeeper knows how to deal with this sort of call automagically. And not sure why you are feeling lucky for a Michigan contact, which is what this is, regardless of the home country call.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:51:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Perhaps not adding any value to this discussion, but...DXLabs DXKeeper knows how to deal with this sort of call automagically. And not sure why you are feeling lucky for a Michigan contact, which is what this is, regardless of the home country call.
View Quote
Well, when your on 80m running 5w SSB on a shit antenna with people bleeding over like crazy I take what I can get.  Getting to Mich for me is an achievement. If it were 20 or 40, not so much.

I feel lucky with every contact I can make.

Last post is beginning to make this place sound like qrz forums.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Whenever that happens I pick up a pen and log it the way I heard it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top