Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2017 3:02:00 PM EDT
Just a quick anecdote on the ARRL.  I tried to apply for DXCC mixed  yesterday, realized I had to renew my ARRL membership to qualify. (Heck of an expensive piece of paper btw, $100 a sheet.  $49 for membership, $51 for award).  So I got online, did the membership, entered credit card, renewed and applied for the award.  This morning it was rejected because I'm not an ARRL member.  I also noticed I don't have access to the members areas of the ARRL website.   I figured it must just take a while to process, so I called to see how long to expect to wait.   Turns out, their computer system that handles memberships has been down for over a week, and they don't yet have any idea when it will be back up.  It seems very strange that they continue to accept payment for a service that they are currently unable to deliver.  I'm sure it will be working again soon (hopefully), but seems like a strange way to run a business.  In the meantime, if anyone is planning to renew your membership, you might want to check with them to see if the system is working again first.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the head-up!  I was waiting to renew for my membership to expire since I'm going to add my family.

I guess I'll hold off a bit longer...
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:33:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not surprised.
Got a membership renewal letter from them 2 weeks ago. My membership expires in June! They are getting as bad as NRA.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:55:26 PM EDT
[#3]
If you renew online, you can google a coupon code to get a free book.  I usually get an updated repeater directory this way.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:22:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you renew online, you can google a coupon code to get a free book.  I usually get an updated repeater directory this way.
View Quote
Yep, always do.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:54:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I haven't renewed since there price went up

I never applied for my DXCC

nobody cares except for maybe a few hams, and I can just show them a LoTW screenshot.

. . . or paper cards

LOL
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:24:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm not surprised.
Got a membership renewal letter from them 2 weeks ago. My membership expires in June! They are getting as bad as NRA.
View Quote
I haven't been a member for about 3 years, still get letters Every Month.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#7]
This will likely be the last time I renew.  I was a member one year when I applied for WAS and my VE accreditation.  For some reason I've always wanted that WAS and DXCC certificate on my wall.  So I've renewed now and will get my certificate (eventually) and then I'll probably let it lapse for a few more years (10? 20?) until I earn 5 band or WAS triple play.  In the meantime I photoshopped a really nice DXCC certificate to hang on my wall.  Feels kind of like cheating, but hey, I've got the LOTW credits to prove it, and it's not exactly like I'm using it for a job application or something.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:18:41 AM EDT
[#8]
photoshopped DXCC wallpaper

LOLOL   pure fucking WIN

I should make one too....

I'll staple $49 to it and hang it over my shack

Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted: In the meantime I photoshopped a really nice DXCC certificate to hang on my wall.  Feels kind of like cheating, but hey, I've got the LOTW credits to prove it, and it's not exactly like I'm using it for a job application or something.
View Quote
Nothing wrong with that.  Beats spending $49 that you can use for other ham gear or supplies.

I was an ARRL member back in the 90s for many years, but dropped it when I got married to save money.  I doubt i'll ever renew, just to save money.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:58:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This will likely be the last time I renew.  I was a member one year when I applied for WAS and my VE accreditation.  For some reason I've always wanted that WAS and DXCC certificate on my wall.  So I've renewed now and will get my certificate (eventually) and then I'll probably let it lapse for a few more years (10? 20?) until I earn 5 band or WAS triple play.  In the meantime I photoshopped a really nice DXCC certificate to hang on my wall.  Feels kind of like cheating, but hey, I've got the LOTW credits to prove it, and it's not exactly like I'm using it for a job application or something.
View Quote
Actually I do put on my resume my Extra license.  In the same section as my military service and Eagle Scout award.  I find that those entries help during some interviews.  And the interviews where nobody cares about any of those entries usually are gigs I'm not all that interested in.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Actually I do put on my resume my Extra license.  In the same section as my military service and Eagle Scout award.  I find that those entries help during some interviews.  And the interviews where nobody cares about any of those entries usually are gigs I'm not all that interested in.
View Quote
You never know. I never listed my hobbies nor military service because I considered it not significant enough for a job resume.
About 15 years ago, I had a job interview with a company in NM. During the interview, they asked me if I had any hobbies. I told them about ham radio and a few other hobbies. It turned out that the guy in charge of the facility and another manager were avid hams with Extra licenses. I got a job offer the next morning. The company I was currently working for, would not let me go and made me a counter offer that I could not refuse. 5 years later they called me again about a job at their facility near Aspen, CO. I should have taken this one because of location only.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:56:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Kind of like IPSC or IDPA classifications....nobody really cares either. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:41:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Just to update, the ARRL membership site appears to be working again, and I now have access to the members features like QST archives etc.  I've also applied for my gold plated DXCC certificate.  

Now on to WAS triple play.  Digital is done, two more states for phone, and like 37 more on CW.  Guess my real goal is to get serious about learning more than my callsign and "599 TU" in morse.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm glad to read I'm not the only one considering not renewing. Mine expires in June. When I receive QST, I barely give a cursory flip through. Theres nothing in it that interests me anymore.
It feels "dumbed down" to the point I don't read it. I have a collection of QSTs from the past and they are much more technical.
The other turn off is every book from the ARRL is overpriced and just fluff. I've bought several Antenna books and its a lot of stuff I already knew, and for $25 to 30 bucks!
I realize they are trying to make it more appealing to newbys, but I can't take it anymore.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I reupped for two years just before the price hike. Getting ready to go into semi-retirement, will likely let it lapse then. Three local clubs and ARRL at $50 is over $100 I can buy a lot of retirement gruel for dinner for that amount.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:47:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Email this morning contained 'code' if anyone is interested:

Go to www.arrl.org/join and use Web Code BACK.  Or call 1.888.277.5289.

Join ARRL today.  Start getting QST again and get Work the World with JT65 and JT9 free!  Hurry...this offer ends  March 31, 2017 at midnight.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:55:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Go to www.arrl.org/join and use Web Code BACK.  Or call 1.888.277.5289.

Join ARRL today.  Start getting QST again and get Work the World with JT65 and JT9 free!  Hurry...this offer ends  March 31, 2017 at midnight.
what does that get you ?  

a discount ?

--EDIT--

nevermind,  I see it.

$49 and a "free" jt65 book.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top