Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2017 1:24:40 PM EDT
I've had my Emcomm box closed with the radios mounted in the chassis inside a Spuds7 box.  I noticed that the steel screws have a little white haze on them.  Should I look more into this on the inside of my radios, power supply, tuner, and Signalink?  The box has been sealed for at least 5-6 months.
The box was in contact with my basement floor. My plan in the future is to keep it off the concrete floor and not keep the lid closed on the gasket or at least keep a Humisorb Desiccant pack inside.
Has anyone run into something similar to this?
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 2:38:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Are there batteries in that box also?
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#2]
No batteries are in the box.  I planned to make a separate box dedicated just for batteries.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#3]
The screws probably contain tin which is crystallizing and becoming tin whiskers.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:45:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like galvanic corrosion. All you need is dissimilar metals in contact with one another and enough humidity. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion

Maybe wipe them down with some rem oil or something.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:42:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep everything off basement floors!  Plastic tends to wick moisture from concrete.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top